Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MetropolitanCowboy

Apparently the US Flag is now racist.

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The flag shouldn’t be a design on shoes either.  It shouldn’t be worn as shorts or as napkins.  I think some people would be bitching about that if Nike had gone through with the design anyway.  

I think it's bad taste when people hang them off the back of their trucks and let them get beat to shit in the wind.

Just now, 406WarriorFan said:

I think it's bad taste when people hang them off the back of their trucks and let them get beat to shit in the wind.

Yep. Me too 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, Posturedoc said:

As I mentioned previously, public opinion is currently in a place where it’s receptive to the views expressed by the historically oppressed. When the dam breaks, the flood will wipe out many homes that wouldn’t normally be in the flood plain if no dam existed in the first place. In other words, there will be some questionable examples of oppression (I’m not sure that’s the case here) lumped in with the documentable cases.

You seem to want to dismiss many of these claims as trivial. With few exceptions, the NBA nixing the use of the term “owners” being one, I don’t. 

Objection to use of the word "owners" is just ignorance talking. The term "owner" as applied to the NBA doesn't refer to the players, it refers to the franchise. As such, the analogy drawn to slavery is spurious.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Objection to use of the word "owners" is just ignorance talking. The term "owner" as applied to the NBA doesn't refer to the players, it refers to the franchise. As such, the analogy drawn to slavery is spurious.

And this example gets to the heart of the issue.  There's black, white and grey.  I can appreciate the conversations of the grey.  There are owners of businesses all across the country that employ employees of all colors.  This is an  example of an ignorant someone trying to pull white/black into the grey.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Why? I’m genuinely interested in your rationale here. 

You want my rationale why I don't think the Betsy Ross Flag is a symbol of racism?  OK.

Well, context matters....  It was never intended to be a racist symbol when it was created, right?

The flag in question is the Betsy Ross flag.   I think it was about independence from Great Britain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_Ross_flag#Symbolism

So, I think context matters.   

Contrast that to the Swastica, and yes, that is a racist symbol / flag.  Or even the Stars and Bars (which was about preserving slavery in the South).

I also think because some fringe groups have latched on to it in recent years doesn't matter---I'm not going to let the actions of a few random racist nutjobs say we have to erase US History.

Finally, was there slavery in colonial America?  Yes.   Were groups discriminated against based on race, and ethnicity?  Yes.   But that does not mean that the Colonial Flag is a symbol of racism.  

Guest #1Stunner
24 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The flag shouldn’t be a design on shoes either.  It shouldn’t be worn as shorts or as napkins.  I think some people would be bitching about that if Nike had gone through with the design anyway.  

3 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

When someone makes that argument then you might have a point.

Ha! Your entire MO on this forum is to be dismissive of the opinions of others.  At least you’re consistent. 

Fairly certain I wouldn't be buying those shoes one way or the other, however Nike knows the demographics of who buys their shoes and seems to make good business decisions.

Seems like an opportunity for a shoe maker to market flag shoes to the Kap haters.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

8 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

And yours is to twist words and deflect.  You too are consistent.

Lol. I have 774 posts in 11 years as a formal member of this forum (been reading it since it’s inception). If I have/had an MO, it was to call out bluerules on some of his silly arguments, which only played into his evil schemes and was something I tired of years ago.

I have twisted no words regarding the lion’s share of your efforts hereabouts. 

2 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Lol. I have 774 posts in 11 years as a formal member of this forum (been reading it since it’s inception). If I have/had an MO, it was to call out bluerules on some of his silly arguments, which only played into his evil schemes and was something I tired of years ago.

I have twisted no words regarding the lion’s share of your efforts hereabouts

Oh well...  

v0icAvfW.jpg

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

You should go back to being “former”. 

I’ll consider doing that when you begin to post thoughtful content. 

2 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Ditto to you.

His comments about you are spot on. You contribute nothing of substance to anyone else on this board and the fact you make no apparent effort to take that to heart when it's pointed out by others suggests your presence here is solely for self-aggrandizement. You must be great company at dinner.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

His comments about you are spot on. You contribute nothing of substance to anyone else on this board and the fact you make no apparent effort to take that to heart when it's pointed out by others suggests your presence here is solely for self-aggrandizement. You must be great company at dinner.

Says the guy who writes so much and says nothing.  GFY.  #rentfree

v0icAvfW.jpg

Here is a quick 3 minute video from a Dallas sportscaster when Trump went to Alabama and called NFL players sons of bitches for peaceful protests when they had the nerve to kneel.  It references Kap, Mexicans, Muslims, white privilege, and of course the American flag.  Plus it's all done professionally by a middle aged white guy.  Seems appropriate for this thread.  i recommend it anyway.  Pretend he is talking about a shoe.

https://fox2now.com/2017/09/25/dallas-sportscaster-delivers-powerful-monologue-says-anthem-protests-not-about-disrespecting-flag/ 

38 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I am sure the 500 people in Goodyear Arizona that will not be getting a good job applaud this.

cut-your-nose-off-to-spite-your-face.jpg

That'll show Nike.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan