Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cougar

Final 2018-19 Director's Cup Rankings

On 6/29/2019 at 9:49 AM, jdgaucho said:

Helped by one run to a men's volleyball championship match, a sport nobody plays. 

Helped by three team sports finishing in the top 5 nationally during the spring semester (men’s volleyball, beach volleyball, women’s water polo).

19 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

There was a time when Boise was near the bottom of these rankings in the 00's.  Now we are top in the conference every year.  Yes football is king and MBB is a distant second but having an overall healthy AD does a lot for how the campus views athletics.  It adds to the culture around the school. Boise has a culture of winning.

That's not accurate. I don't think Boise has finished outside of the top-100. The worst finish I can remember is in the 80s. Typically they are in the 60s,but they've finished top-50 before. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

That's not accurate. I don't think Boise has finished outside of the top-100. The worst finish I can remember is in the 80s. Typically they are in the 60s,but they've finished top-50 before. 

Your memory seems to be correct... past records are found on this site:

https://nacda.com/sports/2018/7/17/directorscup-nacda-directorscup-previous-scoring-html.aspx

On 6/29/2019 at 12:10 PM, bigd said:

For the lazy people:

59. Boise State

67. Air Force

68. Hawaii

71. New Mexico

88. Colorado State

102. Fresno State

104. UNLV

105. San Diego State

143. Utah State

150. Nevada

151. Wyoming

154. San Jose State

Really surprised at Air Force, I always thought they were horrible outside of football. 

Also, here's the AAC:

60. Houston

62. UCF

72. Navy

77. UConn

92. Cincinnati

96. South Florida

148. East Carolina

152. Temple

153. Memphis

160. SMU

164. Tulsa

201. Tulane

258. Wichita State

How can a conference have four schools finish ranked lower than San Jose State?

19 hours ago, Pelado said:

How can a conference have four schools finish ranked lower than San Jose State?

that's a power conference for ya

On 6/30/2019 at 12:32 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Helped by three team sports finishing in the top 5 nationally during the spring semester (men’s volleyball, beach volleyball, women’s water polo).

It's the equal blessing and curse of the Director's Cup.  halfman is right that an overall healthy AD is a good thing and I personally like that all sports are counted.  But - in Hawaii's case their ranking is boosted by success in three sports which less than 25% of Division 1 sponsors.  Our Pioneer friends from Denver University, they hover around the top-50 nationally in the same way via hockey, men's and women's lacrosse, gymnastics. 

In the Director's Cup eyes, Long Beach State's men's volleyball national title carries the same amount of weight as Virginia's basketball title.  Let that sink in.