Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tulsa Guy

Summary: Aresco Interview BYU Sports Nation

Some very good news for MWC.  Aresco considers Boise State and SDSU as geographical outliers and and the travel is  too difficult to accommodate in AAC.  Since the AAC has no interest in the front range schools, the MWC holds with its current membership.  The MWC will not be disturbed by a raid by AAC.

B1G, which played at 11 teams for several years, has agreed to support AAC waiver after Aresco called B1G commissioner.

We will be very deliberate.  We worked too hard to establish our conference and brand.  We won't do anything to diminish that.  We are not calling anyone.  If they are interested they know our number.  We are not reaching out to anyone.

Geography is always an issue.  BSU and SDSU are outliers.  BSU wanted their own TV contract in AAC and we said no.

Asked about the possibility of BYU in AAC, Aresco responded that the AAC would be open to a football only school...but we are extremely open to staying at eleven.  We will need to monitor certain rivalries and keep them, UCF vs USF, Houston vs SMU.

BYU is a great national brand.  I put BYU on ESPN many times when I worked as an executive at ESPN.  They (BYU) treat me like royalty.  I have spoken to the Cougar Club many times when I was at ESPN.  Tom Holmoe is my friend.  BYU has shown no interest in joining AAC.

Aresco said that the decision to say at 11 or add a team will be made in two to three weeks.  His inclination is that AAC will stay at 11 teams.

In other news not related to Aresco and the BYU Sports Nation interview, Army Coach Jeff Monken said Monday he has no interest in the Black Knights replacing UConn in the AAC or any other conference.

2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Some very good news for MWC.  Aresco considers Boise State and SDSU as geographical outliers and and the travel is  too difficult to accommodate in AAC.  Since the AAC has no interest in the front range schools, the MWC holds with its current membership.  The MWC will not be disturbed by a raid by AAC.

B1G, which played at 11 teams for several years, has agreed to support AAC waiver after Aresco called B1G commissioner.

We will be very deliberate.  We worked too hard to establish our conference and brand.  We won't do anything to diminish that.  We are not calling anyone.  If they are interested they know our number.  We are not reaching out to anyone.

Geography is always an issue.  BSU and SDSU are outliers.  BSU wanted their own TV contract in AAC and we said no.

Asked about the possibility of BYU in AAC, Aresco responded that the AAC would be open to a football only school...but we are extremely open to staying at eleven.  We will need to monitor certain rivalries and keep them, UCF vs USF, Houston vs SMU.

BYU is a great national brand.  I put BYU on ESPN many times when I worked as an executive at ESPN.  They (BYU) treat me like royalty.  I have spoken to the Cougar Club many times when I was at ESPN.  Tom Holmoe is my friend.  BYU has shown no interest in joining AAC.

Aresco said that the decision to say at 11 or add a team will be made in two to three weeks.  His inclination is that AAC will stay at 11 teams.

In other news not related to Aresco and the BYU Sports Nation interview, Army Coach Jeff Monken said Monday he has no interest in the Black Knights replacing UConn in the AAC or any other conference.

Perhaps the most arrogant and delusional crock of shit I've ever read on this board.

2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I have to admit BYUtv has done a great job. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Mike Aresco - " BYU is a great national brand."

Army Coach Jeff Monken about joining the AAC - "“Not interested, if you ask me,” Monken told me. “We’re a national team. We need to play a national schedule. That’s one of the great things about our program that separates us from so many others. We recruit nationally so we should play nationally. We’re not a regional university. This is America’s University.”"   http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2019/06/24/army-coach-says-americas-university-not-interested-in-joining-aac/

Wichita State athletic director Darron Boatright about UConn leaving - “They are a fantastic national brand and operate some great programs, and their men’s basketball program is in a resurgence, which would have led to financial gain for the entire conference. It hurts, but we sure understand it. You have to go through and evaluate your institution and what’s best for it, and the term ‘best’ can be defined in many different ways.”     https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article232043597.html

All these national brands/teams and none want to be part of the AAC.

10 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

When the cyclical nature of college football rears its head and the AAC has a few down years, while the MWC has a few up years, I really hope some delusional overzealous SJSU fan gets a hard on for the AAC board, and subjects you guys to similar lunacy.  That would literally be the equivalent of your recent posting history here. (SMH)

9 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Army Coach Jeff Monken about joining the AAC - "“Not interested, if you ask me,” Monken told me. “We’re a national team. We need to play a national schedule. That’s one of the great things about our program that separates us from so many others. We recruit nationally so we should play nationally. We’re not a regional university. This is America’s University.”"   http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2019/06/24/army-coach-says-americas-university-not-interested-in-joining-aac/

Wichita State athletic director Darron Boatright about UConn leaving - “They are a fantastic national brand and operate some great programs, and their men’s basketball program is in a resurgence, which would have led to financial gain for the entire conference. It hurts, but we sure understand it. You have to go through and evaluate your institution and what’s best for it, and the term ‘best’ can be defined in many different ways.”     https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article232043597.html

Both Army and UConn made the best decisions for their situations.  Army in 2019 will play Rice, UTSA, Morgan State, WKU, Georgia State, SJSU, UMass, and VMI.  This is the type of schedule that guarantees a winning record and a bowl.  That sure beats trying to get a win against UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Memphis, or Houston.  Army pulled out of CUSA because the scheduling was too tough and the Black Knights were coming up with losing record after losing record.  The "national" thing is good public relations to cover a very weak schedule.

UConn made the best decision for their interests.  UConn decided its football team was never going to be competitive, a decision I am in complete agreement.  So it made all the sense in the world to go back to BE.  But if AAC is granted a slot in an 8 team national playoff ( that is, 8 NYD bowls instead of 6), UConn's decision could come to haunt them.  When Aresco coined the term P6, Aresco wasn't talking about basketball;  Aresco was talking about football because that is where the TV money is.  My guess is a conference composed of the AAC 11 plus BYU has the capability of knocking down a spot in the 8 team national playoff......and all the money that goes with it.  Losing UConn football may someday prove to be the best thing that ever happened to AAC.

1 hour ago, HooknLiberty said:

When the cyclical nature of college football rears its head and the AAC has a few down years, while the MWC has a few up years, I really hope some delusional overzealous SJSU fan gets a hard on for the AAC board, and subjects you guys to similar lunacy.  That would literally be the equivalent of your recent posting history here. (SMH)

Your wish was granted some time ago at the Denver Airport when Airport Al and the rest of the Boyz, called the Texas Schools and Tulsa a bunch of "never haves, never wills" which was picked up by the national media and headlined coast to coast. 

And thank you for the $1.8M cash grab!

1 hour ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Your wish was granted some time ago at the Denver Airport when Airport Al and the rest of the Boyz, called the Texas Schools and Tulsa a bunch of "never haves, never wills" which was picked up by the national media and headlined coast to coast. 

Re: Tulsa

Was Al wrong?

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Wow, what a relief. I should be able to get back to a regular sleep schedule now.

At what point do you say to yourself, “Hmmmm. I’ve spent X hours writing about UConn leaving. Maybe I should ______________ ?

1 hour ago, 307dude said:

Re: Tulsa

Was Al wrong?

In one case he was.  But the MWC was smart enough to correct that error.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

after Army got totally owned in CUSA I really doubt they want to walk that path again. That said, I don't blame Aresco for trying...you gotta make that call and ask.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

12 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Exactly.

Why would Army want to be in CUSA 2.0 when they played against 6 of the AAC teams in CUSA 1.0.

$$$ but then they can't pad their schedule with UMass, Ga State, Rice, SJSU, UTSA, VMI, Morgan State, etc to get to 6+ wins and a bowl.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Army 70 Houston 14

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 minutes ago, RSF said:

Army 70 Houston 14

Unfortunately, I attended the game.  What a fiasco!  The Cougars looked half dead walking out on the field.  Obviously, Applewhite had lost his team.  The only good thing to say about the game was that Applewhite was fired two days later and Houston hired Dana Holgorsen.  Houston had gone 8-4 during the season, an acceptable if not good season for most schools but Houston knows it can do better and wants to do better.

Congrats to Army!  It was not only this game, but Army came very close to beating Oklahoma.  2018 was truly a special year for the Black Knights, one to be remembered and cherished for a long, long time.

6 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Lol, you're like a virtual Chihuahua.  I'm sure the other online golden shower fans are glad to have you representing.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:47 PM, HiCountryCowboy said:

Those are some legendary matchups for sure - can’t miss TV.  BTW, what were the ratings last year?  Oh, and +++++ off!

USF vs UCF had higher numbers than any game MW teams played in the regular season.