Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

since1670

speculation places Air Force as a candidate to join American Athletic Conference

2 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

It seems like taking a team just to take a team...maybe they're really taking the whole "American" part of the AAC to heart though and are going for all of the service academies to really be "Team America"...lol

Image result for team america fuck ya

Good luck to them.  To me, having all 3 in the MW wouldn't be that great.  It would actually be a drain on the conference in my opinion.  I am curious as well as to how much worse it would make each academy as well if every school saw the 3 academies on a regular basis. I know their option attacks are all different, but their defenses would be more disciplined and that would be a big negative to the academies.  

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

Good luck to them.  To me, having all 3 in the MW wouldn't be that great.  It would actually be a drain on the conference in my opinion.  I am curious as well as to how much worse it would make each academy as well if every school saw the 3 academies on a regular basis. I know their option attacks are all different, but their defenses would be more disciplined and that would be a big negative to the academies.  

Completely agree. 

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

Very true and that led to the death of option football in the Big 8/12.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

It probably all depends on what the MWC schools are hearing with regard to the next MWC TV deal.

If it is only $1M per year again, then Air Force my decide to switch conferences to be with Navy.

I'm not sure how much Air Force cares about national exposure, but they would probably get better exposure in the East Coast AAC than the MWC.   They'd miss out on rivalries though.

I don't see that making much of a different for them either. I don't expect a massive increase per school I expect maybe a little increase and that would be it. Air Force doesn't turn the dial for people, their football program isn't what it used to be. Like I said, I think that if Army goes to AAC Air Force would probably go. Otherwise I think Air Force will be staying where they are. 

My hope is AAC stays at 11 teams for the next 6 years until the "look in" portion of the AAC TV is reached.   By that time, the issue of an 8 team playoff will be decided and the B12 will have reached its Grant of rights and the fate of the B12 decided.

Any school accepting an AAC invite prior to that time is taking a big risk.  If the AAC will not do a Grant of RIghts, why would AFA or any other invitee want to get involved with AAC?  Why join AAC when the AAC might lose a couple schools to B12?  I don't think that will happen but it could.  Nothing is impossible. 

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I don’t see any way AF would make this move without seeing the new MWC tv deal first. 

Prolly goes without saying and the possibility of losing AF might motivate Thompson to preclude from involvement his subordinate who greatly underwhelmed the board of directors of SDSU's Aztec Foundation/Club when he discussed the last TV negotiations with them ~14 years ago.

Boom goes the dynamite.

The look in portion of the AAC deal starts tomorrow.  Because these days every tv deal - especially those of the G5 variety - has contingencies for "changes in membership".  Its the networks playing CYA.  Whether anything of substance results remains to be seen.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Prolly goes without saying and the possibility of losing AF might motivate Thompson to preclude from involvement his subordinate who greatly underwhelmed the board of directors of SDSU's Aztec Foundation/Club when he discussed the last TV negotiations with them ~14 years ago.

Even if the MWC TV contract is less than AAC, it would not surprise me to see AFA turn down AAC invite.  All things considered, AFA is in a comfortable situation for their sports program and, while money is the most important factor, money is still not the over riding and single factor by which decisions are made. 

My perspective on this is

1) IF AF wants to go, good luck and best wishes

2) The MWC loses nothing of great value in seeing AF's olympic sports depart, BSU adding baseball keeps the MWC at the same amount of teams 

3) AF football hasn't been all that strong over the last 6 to 10 years, so the AAC might not be getting anything special and the MWC losing AF might not be that bad of a hit.......sucks for the old CSU/WYO/AF front range games, but those could still happen if it's that much of a must play series.

4) Bottoms line, I'm fine with AF staying and fine with them going 

1 hour ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Even if the MWC TV contract is less than AAC, it would not surprise me to see AFA turn down AAC invite.  All things considered, AFA is in a comfortable situation for their sports program and, while money is the most important factor, money is still not the over riding and single factor by which decisions are made. 

I don't think money is ANY consideration for AF. As I understand it, the academy gets ample money from the Pentagon to fund its sports. Plus, although the commandant or whatever they call him said early this decade that he was hesitant to put their Olys in the MVC because of the possibility of lost study time for student-athletes (that's a legitimate term at AF), travel expenses are relatively negligible for AF. So HERE'S why I think AF might consider going to the AAC:

1. Even after a terrible 2018, in its four years in the AAC, Navy is 20-12 and made it to a conference title game. In the seven years of the MW as currently composed, AF is 27-29 and has never played in the MW championship game. If I was the AF commandant, I would therefore be inclined to conclude that my school could perform better in football by leaving the MW for the AAC.

2. AF is a pathetic 5-20 all time in the MW men's basketball tournament. I'm not going to go to the trouble of checking data for other sports but it's no secret they have been equally abysmal. As an example, in the 20 years of MW baseball tournaments, AF has never gotten to the finals much less won it. Moving to the MVC would allow AF's Olympic sports to similarly be more competitive.

3. Finally, although the AAC is likely to lose 2-4 members when the realignment dominoes start to fall, the AAC has access to geographically proximate replacements from the MAC, CUSA and the SBC. In contrast, if schools begin leaving the MW as I think is inevitable within the next decade, who besides a couple Big Sky schools and NMSU might be possible replacements? So if I was AF's commandant and could get my school into the AAC and the MVC and escape from the MW, I'd get out now rather than chance not being given a similar opportunity down the road.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
47 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't think money is ANY consideration for AF. As I understand it, the academy gets ample money from the Pentagon to fund its sports. Plus, although the commandant or whatever they call him said early this decade that he was hesitant to put their Olys in the MVC because of the possibility of lost study time for student-athletes (that's a legitimate term at AF), travel expenses are relatively negligible for AF. So HERE'S why I think AF might consider going to the AAC:

1. Even after a terrible 2018, in its four years in the AAC, Navy is 20-12 and made it to a conference title game. In the seven years of the MW as currently composed, AF is 27-29 and has never played in the MW championship game. If I was the AF commandant, I would therefore be inclined to conclude that my school could perform better in football by leaving the MW for the AAC.

2. AF is a pathetic 5-20 all time in the MW men's basketball tournament. I'm not going to go to the trouble of checking data for other sports but it's no secret they have been equally abysmal. As an example, in the 20 years of MW baseball tournaments, AF has never gotten to the finals much less won it. Moving to the MVC would allow AF's Olympic sports to similarly be more competitive.

3. Finally, although the AAC is likely to lose 2-4 members when the realignment dominoes start to fall, the AAC has access to geographically proximate replacements from the MAC, CUSA and the SBC. In contrast, if schools begin leaving the MW as I think is inevitable within the next decade, who besides a couple Big Sky schools and NMSU might be possible replacements? So if I was AF's commandant and could get my school into the AAC and the MVC and escape from the MW, I'd get out now rather than chance not being given a similar opportunity down the road.

Good thoughts.

And in a worse case scenario, if AFA joined the AAC, and the AAC later crumbled, AFA could just rejoin the MWC or go Independent like Army.

4 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Why?  They will very rarely, if ever, challenge for the Access Bowl.  Outside of the Army-Navy game, I don't know if Army is a big draw.  They are an independent but their TV deal was with CBS Sports which we all know is terrible.  If they drew better, a better network would have picked them up probably.  AF does well, but nothing major.  I don't see it as a huge get for the AAC.  

You might right. The torn ACL could be bad. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

My perspective on this is

1) IF AF wants to go, good luck and best wishes

2) The MWC loses nothing of great value in seeing AF's olympic sports depart, BSU adding baseball keeps the MWC at the same amount of teams 

3) AF football hasn't been all that strong over the last 6 to 10 years, so the AAC might not be getting anything special and the MWC losing AF might not be that bad of a hit.......sucks for the old CSU/WYO/AF front range games, but those could still happen if it's that much of a must play series.

4) Bottoms line, I'm fine with AF staying and fine with them going 

I'm probably in the minority of Wyoming fans, but if AF leaves, it isn't a big hit as far as rivalries go.  I like the history of playing them, but unfortunately, a lot of rivalries have been killed because of realignment.  Wyoming still has CSU, USU, and New Mexico.  Boise is always a game you get up for because of how good of a program they are.  That's a lot of solid games in your own division before you even get into the West Division.  It could be a lot worse.  I would have no problem playing them OOC if they do leave though.  

6 hours ago, robe said:

This will be months of speculation. This a dream come true for mug.

Only thing better would be BYU back to the MWC. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

A couple of thoughts...

First of all, it’s my understanding that AFA relies far more on alumni than the pentagon to fund their AD, would need @ltcpilot to weigh in on that. Either way, your point is good. They’re not starving. 

Football - AFA is a thorn in the side of every team in this conference. They haven’t rung the bell yet, but have certainly silenced it for some.   Would hate to lose them in FB, although every D-lineman In the conference would disagree. 

BB - AFA sincerely fears SJSU getting kicked out. 

Olympics - They routinely show up big time in cool sports that no one cares about.  But it does make the MWC look good to academia. 

Finally, why would any conference ever turn down AFA for membership going forward regardless of affiliation?

I like the traditions, honor, and pageantry connected to playing the academies and think Air Force would be a very classy addition to the AAC West division.   I do worry a bit about the adverse affect having to play 2 triple option teams every year might have on DL health and/or DL recruiting.   

45 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

A couple of thoughts...

First of all, it’s my understanding that AFA relies far more on alumni than the pentagon to fund their AD, would need @ltcpilot to weigh in on that. Either way, your point is good. They’re not starving. 

Football - AFA is a thorn in the side of every team in this conference. They haven’t rung the bell yet, but have certainly silenced it for some.   Would hate to lose them in FB, although every D-lineman In the conference would disagree. 

BB - AFA sincerely fears SJSU getting kicked out. 

Olympics - They routinely show up big time in cool sports that no one cares about.  But it does make the MWC look good to academia. 

Finally, why would any conference ever turn down AFA for membership going forward regardless of affiliation?

Olympics - sports that the MW doesn't sponsor like lacrosse, hockey or wrestling won't be affected in any manner.   They would remain in their current homes whether AFA stays here or goes.

In the article, five possible new homes were listed for AFA.  What direction@ltcpilot and others would choose, depends on what they value most.  Each has its pluses and minuses.

None of those new homes would turn down AFA for membership.  I'll say it again, association with a military academy only enhances a conference's prestige.  It wouldn't be a perfect fit but if they come knocking on someone's door asking to join, the answer is yes and any subsequent concerns would be dealt with later.

We can only hope the dirtiest school in the conference leaves.

I heard the Air Force academy is going to embrace their professional success and future endeavors of their cadets and change their name to "hospital bombers", or "war criminals", or "civilian killers"?  It would be much more appropriate.