Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

2/3s of American employees regret their college degrees

Guest #1Stunner

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-thirds-of-american-employees-regret-their-college-degrees/

• Science, technology, engineering or math majors, who are more likely to enjoy higher salaries, were least likely to report regrets, while those in the humanities were most likely.
  • Student loan debt has ballooned to nearly $1.6 trillion nationwide in 2019, topping the list of regrets for employees. 

Most satisfied: Those with science, technology, engineering and math majors, who are typically more likely to enjoy higher salaries, reported more satisfaction with their college degrees. About 42% of engineering grads and 35% of computer science grads said they had no regrets. 

Most regrets: Humanities majors, who are least likely to earn higher pay post-graduation, were most likely to regret their college education. About 75% of humanities majors said they regretted their college education. About 73% of graduates who studied social sciences, physical and life sciences, and art also said the same. 

In the middle: In between the other two categories were 66% of business graduates, 67% of health sciences graduates and 68% of math graduates who said they regretted their education. 

At least one sector of employment bucked the trend: Teachers and other professionals in education, which isn't typically a high-paying profession, were the second-least likely, after engineering grads, to have any regrets tied to their major, with 37% saying they had no regrets.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

But..but..but...those people with humanities degrees are so much better off than the person who spent two years becoming a plumber or electrician!

There are a lot of these "college educated" folks that look down their noses at the "uneducated" tradesmen.   As if learning to be a plumber or electrician or other trade is "low skilled" and doesn't require an education.

Meanwhile, we have a bunch of unskilled people that learned interesting facts in college, but have no real skills to offer anyone.   .

3 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

But..but..but...those people with humanities degrees are so much better off than the person who spent two years becoming a plumber or electrician!

Intellectually, probably 

I’m going to be a history professor and I probably wouldn’t advise a history major to someone who doesn’t have the ability to eventually get a higher degree and secure employment in a relevant field. But I would like universities to more thoroughly integrate humanities requirements for ALL majors. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

The headline as well as @#1Stunner are being a bit misleading here:

1. There is a difference between regretting something and having regrets about something. (The latter is what the article text says.) Most people have regrets about certain aspects of everything in their lives. That doesn't mean they regret the whole thing.

2. 2/3 have regrets about their ADVANCED degrees. So yeah. If you get that MA in comparative literature, you may be a little less excited about how things are going than someone with an MBA. This says nothing about undergraduate degrees, which is what the vast majority of college graduates have.

Have a BS in accounting and while I'm bored with my job, I'm not regretting the decision to get that degree.  Accounting is a good degree to have since every single type of business has a need for an accountant or accounting services.

Might as well have a job where there's a need...a tip some of those people could have taken.

Just now, Jalapeno said:

Have a BS in accounting and while I'm bored with my job, I'm not regretting the decision to get that degree.  Accounting is a good degree to have since every single type of business has a need for an accountant or accounting services.

Might as well have a job where there's a need...a tip some of those people could have taken.

I’m in the same boat.  Plus accountants are always the last to get laid off, lol. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I’m in the same boat.  Plus accountants are always the last to get laid off, lol. 

FIFY

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

1 minute ago, Mano said:

FIFY

:pitchforks:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

The headline as well as @#1Stunner are being a bit misleading here:

1. There is a difference between regretting something and having regrets about something. (The latter is what the article text says.) Most people have regrets about certain aspects of everything in their lives. That doesn't mean they regret the whole thing.

2. 2/3 have regrets about their ADVANCED degrees. So yeah. If you get that MA in comparative literature, you may be a little less excited about how things are going than someone with an MBA. This says nothing about undergraduate degrees, which is what the vast majority of college graduates have.

How am I being misleading?  I simply copied and pasted the article?

I didn't author the article.

17 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

16 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Much more tolerable living by the beach:rock:

Posted Image

3 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Much more tolerable living by the beach:rock:

I’m glaring at you through the internet.  

I guess it becomes a question as to why you are going to college in the first place. Common sense told me when I got out of high school to go into a profession that I could at least make a decent living at. Why pay thousands of dollars to study anthropology, or some other degree that has little value in the work place. If you do, don’t be whining that you have a huge debt and can’t find a decent paying job. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I guess it becomes a question as to why you are going to college in the first place. Common sense told me when I got out of high school to go into a profession that I could at least make a decent living at. Why pay thousands of dollars to study anthropology, or some other degree that has little value in the work place. If you do, don’t be whining that you have a huge debt and can’t find a decent paying job. 

College graduates make more than double what HS grads make over the course of 20 years.  Consistently.  That's why.

18 minutes ago, Orange said:

College graduates make more than double what HS grads make over the course of 20 years.  Consistently.  That's why.

That depends a lot on your degree. Some college graduates manage a McDonalds, which doesn’t require a degree. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Just this last weekend I had a discussion with my son.  He just completed his soph year in college and is questioning his choice of major.  I asked the question, what do you want to do the rest of your life?  What do you like doing?  Where do you want to live.  Where do each of those answers intersect?

What job/career gets you there and what degree do you need to get you there.  What do you need to do today and tomorrow to get you where you want to get. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

25 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

That depends a lot on your degree. Some college graduates manage a McDonalds, which doesn’t require a degree. 

And again, you cherrypick isolated anecdotes (in this case, an imaginary anecdote) to refute statements I make regarding empirical fact.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, soupslam1 said:

That's the parent point of view. However, it's not necessarily how a 18-20 year old sees it, and that's probably a good thing. I was fortunate to be able to study whatever the hell I wanted with not a lot of thought about what I wanted to do with it. I ended up with linguistics and a healthy dose of literature. I consider those years some of the most valuable of my life, and things turned out just fine career-wise. I realize it's a privilege that I was able to choose my focus of study purely based on interest, and it's a privilege I intend to afford my kids as well.