Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UofMTigers

Cincy Newspaper: AAC unlikely to replace UConn

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2019/06/24/american-athletic-conference-uconn-football-expansion/1553756001/

Initial conversations this week among league officials and representatives from member schools indicate the American Athletic Conference is unlikely to replace UConn, a source with close ties to the league told The Enquirer...

While the Huskies leaving for the Big East Conference diminishes the AAC's basketball brand, the conference will likely remain at 11 football-member schools because, despite speculation among national media outlets about potential additions on the gridiron, there doesn’t appear to be a school that would agree to join and add value to the league.

With 11 teams, the AAC could ditch divisions and instead pit the two teams with the highest national ranking at regular season's end in the conference championship game. That, the source said, would help raise the league’s profile and better position for a college football playoff spot and/or prestigious bowl bids. 

I didn't know you could do that...if that's the case, hell yeah, just stay at 11, split the exit fee, and we all get a little more money from ESPN.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

44 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2019/06/24/american-athletic-conference-uconn-football-expansion/1553756001/

I didn't know you could do that...if that's the case, hell yeah, just stay at 11, split the exit fee, and we all get a little more money from ESPN.

Yeah, thats a nice setup. The MW should kick out SJSU and do the same. No divisions and have the top 2 ranked play in the championship game.

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Thought you had to do a complete round robin for that rule to apply. Ie with the case of 11 teams every team would need to play 10 conference games. 

But yeah if you don't need to do a full round robin then it is a no brainier to stay at 11.  

I'm betting this means we're applying for a waiver...essentially kicking the can a few years until we're forced to make a decision.

I believe the MAC got away with this for 2-3 years when they had UMass football in their conference after Temple football left

mem skyline sig.jpeg

A very good decision by AAC leadership and Aresco.

As an aside, Aresco ended discussions with BYU because the Cougars, like BSU, wanted more than an equal sharing of conference revenues.  Aresco is building and maintaing the AAC the right way.  If BYU makes a whole lot more money playing as an independent, I don't blame them.  But from AAC's conference perspective, like BYU, the conference looks after its best interests too.

Neither do I want a basketball school added to AAC.  Just like football, 11 basketball teams are just fine.

Well it is possible by the news CCG rules.

The AAC has to play 10 conference games.  They have have uneven divisions but each division must be round robin.

There will be no waivers.

9 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Well it is possible by the news CCG rules.

The AAC has to play 10 conference games.  They have have uneven divisions but each division must be round robin.

There will be no waivers.

Not going to challenge your statement but it is noted the B12 and Sun Belt play conference championship games with each having 10 conference members.  If some sort of waiver is needed for whatever reason, no doubt ESPN will get it for AAC.

Given that UConn's withdrawl is so sudden (one year), AAC teams will be scrambling to fill the hole in their football schedule....so it would not surprise me to see more conference games.  In that regard, for many AAC teams, they will end up playing 9 conference games until football schedules are readjusted.

31 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Not going to challenge your statement but it is noted the B12 and Sun Belt play conference championship games with each having 10 conference members.  If some sort of waiver is needed for whatever reason, no doubt ESPN will get it for AAC.

Based on info on AAC board, divisions in a conference do not have to be equal.  So if each division team plays its divisional opponents, the criteria to play a conference championship game is met. 

WIth UConn gone, east AAC divison teams can play a home and home with one of its divisional  opponents to fill the hole created by UConn's sudden departure.

Rules are rules but rules can and are broken.  For example, 12 teams in a conference is no longer a requirement to play a conference championship game.

I have been preaching contraction for the MWC on this board for years now. 

Although losing UCONN is a very different animal than us getting rid of SJSU, there is really no viable option to add, and no compelling reason to do so anyway. Shit they should boot a couple schools while they're at it. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

If a conference wants a championship game between its two top teams, it has to play a full round-robin among all members. If a conference wants a championship game featuring division winners, it only needs round-robin scheduling in the divisions. 

NCAA Division I bylaw 17.10.5.2.1(b)

3 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

A very good decision by AAC leadership and Aresco.

As an aside, Aresco ended discussions with BYU because the Cougars, like BSU, wanted more than an equal sharing of conference revenues.  Aresco is building and maintaing the AAC the right way.  If BYU makes a whole lot more money playing as an independent, I don't blame them.  But from AAC's conference perspective, like BYU, the conference looks after its best interests too.

Neither do I want a basketball school added to AAC.  Just like football, 11 basketball teams are just fine.

Do you have a link supporting your claim that BYU was wanting more revenue than other members?  If they were it was only because they were wanting to NOT lose money by joining the conference - assuming Independence paid more.  Nothing wrong with wanting to be made whole in that scenario.  BYU never sought unequal revenue here in the MWC.  I suspect the bigger sticking point was Tier 3 rights given the fiasco BYU just went through with the MWC and TV partners (BYU/Utah actually retained a lawyer on the topic).  BYU at the time had substantially increased investment into broadcast capabilities and wanted assurances of content for BYUTV.

v0icAvfW.jpg

11 hours ago, bigd said:

Yeah, thats a nice setup. The MW should kick out SJSU and do the same. No divisions and have the top 2 ranked play in the championship game.

There would be widespread support for this setup. A few SJSU fans have admitted they don't belong in the MW and would be much better suited for the Big Sky. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

3 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Given that UConn's withdrawl is so sudden (one year), AAC teams will be scrambling to fill the hole in their football schedule....so it would not surprise me to see more conference games.  In that regard, for many AAC teams, they will end up playing 9 conference games until football schedules are readjusted.

The waiver everybody is talking about is for the AAC to be able to match its highest two teams for a CCG. The options are currently that you have divisions and both division champs play each other, or no divisions and the top two teams play each other, with the caveat that a full round robin schedule. So without a waiver the AAC’s options for 2020 are play a 10 game schedule and match up the two highest teams, or go with two unbalanced divisions. 

22 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The waiver everybody is talking about is for the AAC to be able to match its highest two teams for a CCG. The options are currently that you have divisions and both division champs play each other, or no divisions and the top two teams play each other, with the caveat that a full round robin schedule. So without a waiver the AAC’s options for 2020 are play a 10 game schedule and match up the two highest teams, or go with two unbalanced divisions. 

Why would the NCAA grant a waiver?

Just now, BacksThePack said:

Bis Sky is pushing it.

The Big Sky and MW should both be pushing it. For the sake of the conference and their own long term competitiveness, SJSU needs to drop down. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

6 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Bis Sky is pushing it.

I doubt the Big Sky wants SJSU...

They're already pretty full, plus Cal Poly, UCD, and Sac State are more prestigious programs with more fan support.