Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

NCAA cracking whip on new Cali law.

11 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

That said, if the NCAA forbids California schools from it's championships or kicks them out, then (at least at first), they won't be as valuable.

They would be way more valuable to an athlete who has aspiration to play against the best competition, be paid, and go pro.

The best athletes across the country would be lining up to go to California schools.

Like I said though the SEC, Big 12, Big 10 would never let California be the only state paying players.  All those states will change their laws too.   They don't want to be left out of the big bucks.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:11 AM, bluerules009 said:

Nothing could be more stupid.

How many nuclear weapons were exploded in California?

How many nuclear silos do you have.

How many nuclear storage facilities do you have in california for high level waste?

Not to mention the interstates, railroads, electrical distribution networks are all california welfare.   

That doesn't count that California may not have a nuclear storage facility but they get all the federal jobs on the west coast.  They get all the big military bases as long as they employ a lot of people.  They even get the headquarters staff for functions like the Top Gun training, Bombing ranges in Nevada, the test site in Nevada, the INEL in Idaho, Sandia in New Mexico and many other federal functions California wants no part of but they get all the high paying jobs.

No one gets more welfare than california and it isn't even close.

The numbers don't lie, California sends more money to Washington than it gets back in total federal funding and has for years.  That includes military, parks, transportation and public assistance.  

That you mention interstate highways just goes to show how little you know about the subject.  The largest population centers that are not serviced by an Interstate Highway are almost all in California, namely the 99 and 101 corridors.  

6 hours ago, Bulldog Rob said:

The numbers don't lie, California sends more money to Washington than it gets back in total federal funding and has for years.  That includes military, parks, transportation and public assistance.  

That you mention interstate highways just goes to show how little you know about the subject.  The largest population centers that are not serviced by an Interstate Highway are almost all in California, namely the 99 and 101 corridors.  

Before the recent tax reform, California, and other high tax states, were allowing residents to write off massive amounts of expenses. Now capped at $10k. This essentially made poorer states subsidize residents of high income states. This adds to the complexity of whether or not California pays its fair share. 

spartan-hands.gif

14 hours ago, SpartanGrad said:

Before the recent tax reform, California, and other high tax states, were allowing residents to write off massive amounts of expenses. Now capped at $10k. This essentially made poorer states subsidize residents of high income states. This adds to the complexity of whether or not California pays its fair share. 

Not really, total tax revenue collected - total federal spending is an easy calculation.  The tax code only changes that first number.  

7 hours ago, Bulldog Rob said:

Not really, total tax revenue collected - total federal spending is an easy calculation.  The tax code only changes that first number.  

Sorta. Effective taxable income was far lower in the previous law. So in the eyes of the irs, everyone in CA got a huge pay raise. If you were able to write off $100k in 2017 in 2018 you were only able to write-off $10k. Meaning you now have $90k more in taxable income. That income was always there, but wasn’t always taxed. 

spartan-hands.gif

8 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Those of you who live in Cali---what do the political pundits there think are the chances this bill actually passes?  

If voted on by the general population, probably a small chance it passes. If voted on by the Cali legislature, probably a big chance it passes. 

I kind of hope it passes just to watch the chaos it will create. 

I was hoping Cali would ban Cali sports teams from traveling to states with laws unfriendly to gays and trans, but they chickened out. 

On 7/1/2019 at 3:56 PM, SpartanGrad said:

Sorta. Effective taxable income was far lower in the previous law. So in the eyes of the irs, everyone in CA got a huge pay raise. If you were able to write off $100k in 2017 in 2018 you were only able to write-off $10k. Meaning you now have $90k more in taxable income. That income was always there, but wasn’t always taxed. 

I understand how it works, what I'm trying to point out is that in spite of that, Californians still pay more in federal taxes than they receive back in total federal spending within the state.  Now that our tax burden has been raised with the new laws, that difference will only increase.  This is primarily because California incomes are higher on average so we pay more taxes and the State pays for things like highway systems that other states rely on the federal government for. 

On 7/3/2019 at 12:33 PM, Bulldog Rob said:

I understand how it works, what I'm trying to point out is that in spite of that, Californians still pay more in federal taxes than they receive back in total federal spending within the state.  Now that our tax burden has been raised with the new laws, that difference will only increase.  This is primarily because California incomes are higher on average so we pay more taxes and the State pays for things like highway systems that other states rely on the federal government for. 

California is close to net zero on federal taxes paid per taxes received. 

https://www.moneytips.com/is-your-state-a-net-payer-or-a-net-taker/356

On 6/30/2019 at 11:02 AM, Bulldog Rob said:

I just showed you why the numbers do lie.

You take nuclear waste sites, nuclear test sites, bombing ranges out of Nevada, they are last place in federal dollars.   You can do that with Montana, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, the Dakota's, New Mexico and many others.

California has more political power than anyone, I am sure they could talk Nevada out of the nuclear test site if you really want it!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

California gets everything they want, it they wanted all those dollars they would have most of them.   Nevada certainly doesn't want bombing ranges, Wyoming doesn't want nuclear missile silos, Utah doesn't want to be the home for bioweapons.    Take it all city boy.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:26 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

1. As long as you mention CA, Convert will be against it.  

2. I don't  know much about this bill, but if an NCAA player was able to monetize his own name, I don't  have an issue with it.  The fact the NCAA is threatening someone for players gettinnpaid, while letting LSU play in a national title tournament  is hilarious.

1. Yeah, "third world country?" Lmao! Convert has hated California ever since he flunked out of, er transferred from, SDSU.

2. It took a couple years but the Pac 12 eventually succumbed to the BCS. On this issue, I suspect the NCAA will give California a 1-year waiver on compliance during which the UC and CSU governing boards will persuade the state legislature to back down here too.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:02 AM, Bulldog Rob said:

Yeah, it was 78 cents on the dollar but has apparently increased to about 90 cents. Nut just look at South Carolina, that wonderful state which was first to secede from the union and first to fire on federal troops, is home to the oh-so-moderate and inexplicably influential politician Lindsey Graham, which last year had a white cop who shot an unarmed black man in the back and then planted a weapon on him, etc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

Maybe rather than forcing California to become its own country, which it is fully capable of doing, the rest of the US should just kick South Carolina's ass out.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:20 PM, BSC said:

Don't care if it passes or not since it effects zero Mountain West teams

Huh? I thought Fresno, SDSU, and SJSU were in California? Now whether they have any players capable of being paid for their likeness is another question. 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:38 AM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yeah, it was 78 cents on the dollar but has apparently increased to about 90 cents. Nut just look at South Carolina, that wonderful state which was first to secede from the union and first to fire on federal troops, is home to the oh-so-moderate and inexplicably influential politician Lindsey Graham, which last year had a white cop who shot an unarmed black man in the back and then planted a weapon on him, etc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

Maybe rather than forcing California to become its own country, which it is fully capable of doing, the rest of the US should just kick South Carolina's ass out.

Again that is bullshit.  California can have all the nuclear test sites, weapons, testing ground.  They can have the melted down reacters, missile silos, bombing ranges, nuclear storage facilities if they want.   They could destroy bio munitions and store them.   California could be rich.   Then they could complain about money though.

You people are ignorant.   California has the political power to have all these things instead they just pick the high paying government jobs, the offices of generals have to live in california even if their base is in Fallon Nevada or Wyoming.  

California is the federal welfare state and it isn't even close.

29 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Huh? I thought Fresno, SDSU, and SJSU were in California? Now whether they have any players capable of being paid for their likeness is another question. 

They will have great players if it passes and no one else comes along.  That wont happen all the SEC and Big 10 will pass this immediately if California does it.

Man do I hope this passes. I think the NCAAs attempt at bullying California actually made their politicians want to pass this more. NCAA really overestimate their leverage here; hard to bully a state with the threat of pulling events when it is the home of 12 pro franchises in the major 3 leagues, plus 3 NHL and MLS franchises.