Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Does Boise St dump the MW (Again) for the AAC?

38 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Dear Hare,

I am very proud for Tulsa to be in AAC.  I am very proud to be with the Texas Schools.  I am very proud of being with SMU, Tulane, and Navy.  I am very proud that our brother university, Wichita State, has rejoined TU in the same conference.   I am very proud of Tulsa University administration for making all the right decisions and made sure they accurately knew which way the wind was blowing and set their sails accordingly.

I am very proud that the AAC Presidents had many, many fine schools to choose from but they chose Tulsa.

Most of all, I am proud of the citizens of Tulsa who, thru their dedication and charitable giving, built a fine academic university and did so without any state tax support.

There is no school in USA that has accomplished so much with so limited resources in comparison to many other universities who had all the advantages in the world but squandered them.  It is a story of perseverance versus arrogance.

Regards,

Tortoise

You are one boring loser. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

2 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

You are one boring loser. 

Oh i dont know...i think he has potentially lucrative career as a fiction novelist if he chooses.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 hours ago, RSF said:

Oh i dont know...i think he has potentially lucrative career as a fiction novelist if he chooses.

Maybe, though I've heard that the better novelists tend to make their fiction entertaining.

56 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Maybe, though I've heard that the better novelists tend to make their fiction entertaining.

I think his stuff can be pretty funny.  Probably not his intent, but still.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Dance monkeys, dance! First hint of an AAC invite and all you guys start stabbing at each other.  Oh UCONN leaving is providing such joy as I visit the G4 boards and see the 180 being done by fans who NOW want their teams to join the AAC. Please, continue.

tenor.gif

55 minutes ago, 8BitPirate said:

Dance monkeys, dance! First hint of an AAC invite and all you guys start stabbing at each other.  Oh UCONN leaving is providing such joy as I visit the G4 boards and see the 180 being done by fans who NOW want their teams to join the AAC. Please, continue.

tenor.gif

Going (back) to CUSA 2.0 would be a real setback, both financially and athletically.  So thanks, but no thanks.

1 hour ago, 8BitPirate said:

tenor.gif

No dancing here.  And can you please just make one CWS appearance?

10 hours ago, 8BitPirate said:

tenor.gif

Maybe you could provide an example of ANYONE wanting their school to join the AAC?

Or are you both a liar and a fan of a shitty team?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Dear Hares,

Boise State made the very same mistake that Airport Al and the Denver Boyz made.  Boises State, like the Denver Boys, was overcome with its own self importance and grandeur which is a definition of arrogance.  Boise State had an invitation to the AAC (or if you prefer, Big East name at the time) but then went for the $1.8M cash grab dangled by MWC.

The mistake made at the Denver Airport, which BSU would repeat, is not recognizing the winds of change and adjusting accordingly.  Nebraska, truly a national program, looked at the winds of change swirling around and made their move to B1G. Today, Nebraska, in a state with a population of 2 million, makes $50M in TV monies by being in B1G.  Boise State, given the opportunity and invitation to move up, became the only college football program to decline that invitation.  Boise State, in a state of 2 million like Nebraska, makes peanuts.

The mistake made at the Denver Airlport was not recognizing how TV money was going to dominate all aspects of college sports.  And the folks at the Denver Airport failed to recognize that its low population base and late starting games would be a TV viewership killer.

BSU repeated that Denver Airport mistake and made one additional big error.  BSU was so smitten with its football success that it never dawned on BSU that other G5 schools would also make improvements in their facilities and hire good coaches and also become contenders for a NY6 bowl slots.  BSU thought no one else is capable of doing what we have done.  THEREFORE, conference affiliation is not important, even though that conference affiliation (ACC) would have turned on the eyeballs....which eventually transfers to TV monies and, MOST OF ALL, TV appearances.

Gonzaga looked at the proposed MWC invitation, and said no thanks.  Utah left MWC.  Ditto BYU. TCU left MWC. All four schools realized that, to pursue their goals and raise their programs to a higher level, they had to get out of the MWC.  And going back in time, Arizona and Arizona State left MWC.

For that $1.8M cash grab, BSU is now facing a much more difficult situation getting into NY6 Bowl game.  BSU will play NM, CSU, WY, UNLV, and SJSU, football programs that will not provide the ooomph for BSU to push the Broncos up in the football polls.  Now, AAC is proposing to match its two highest rated teams in the conference championship game.  So AAC is going to wrap its hands even tighter around getting that NY6 bowl.

BSU is half a successful program.  Its football team is excellent;  its TV audience is non-existant.  Tulsa, a school with 4,300 students and with only 5 football wins in two years, doubles the TV ratings of BSU. 

I have been on the BSU sports board.  It seems Bronco nation is promoting the idea that Aresco pulled the rug from under BSU.  I guess that falsehood or mental gymnastics is the lubricant to soothe Bronco nation rather than admitting it made a terrible mistake.  The Denver AIrport Boyz will never admit their mistakes.  Neither will BSU nation.

I am not promoting Tulsa as a football powerhouse.  While Tulsa has won more AAC championships second only to Houston, Tulsa football and basketball sucks and needs to get back to its performance levels when it was in CUSA.  Whenever there is a conference realignment which seems to be eternally, Tulsa read the winds of change correctly, stayed in communication with those it knew it needed to stay in communication, and realized that Tulsa's future first lay with the Texas schools.  What I am promoting is that Tulsa read the tea leaves correctly, was patient, and stayed in contact with the powers to be.  What I am also promoting is that the decisions and the lack of foresight at the Denver Airport continue to haunt the MWC today.  It is this latter issue that has held my interest on this board.  When we have the announcement of the MWC TV contract, we will have the final answer to those decisions made at the Denver Airport.

Your beef is not with me.  Your beef is with the 11 AAC Presidents who could have chosen among many, many fine teams but chose Tulsa.  I am very proud of that.  Tulsa and Boise State?  It is the story of perseverance versus arrogance, the Hare versus the Tortoise.

I cannot thank BSU enough for its $1.8M cash grab.  No single action has benefited Tulsa athletics as much as BSU's cash grab.  It has put $7M tv monies in Tulsa's sports and given TV exposure matching the PAC and B12.

MWC fans are angry at BSU for the $1.8M cash grab and say there is no justice.  I would tell the fans of the other 11 MWC teams that justice has been served to BSU and that justice is severe.

MWC is not going to buy back BYU, Utah, and TCU for $1.8M.  But MWC got BSU for peanuts.  MWC, not BSU, got the last laugh.  And he who laughs last, laughs best.

Regards,

Tortoise