Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UCONN TO BIG EAST PER DIGITAL SPORTS DESK, BOSTON

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Gonzaga would be better off going independent if they could negotiate an autobid with the NCAA based on objective criteria.

Since when has the NCAA cared about objective criteria?

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It'd be fun, but both schools are too far west.

When it is 7:00 p.m. in Spokane, it's already 10:00 p.m. in the Big East footprint.

The long term home of Gonzaga and BYU is going to be the WCC.  Better to focus on making the WCC better.   Currently, it's usually a 2 bid league, which isn't too bad.

Agree the time zones are a factor, that;s why it'd have to be two or more or nothing - The WCC is only as good as Gonzaga makes it & BYU adds some support, but after St Mary's the WCC falls off fast and there's probably not much anyone or Gonzaga / BYU can do about it - It's just a top heavy conference similar to the 1980's Big West with UNLV 

25 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

UConn is the only AAC school to ever win a national championship in a major sport, correct?

Not according to UCF...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

31 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Look at this from a BB perspective & I see this as purely a BB centric move, The BE has taken a step back with departures over the last few years and back filled with MVC schools, so from a BE perspective adding UConn which was a top 5 program not too long ago might be a way to add some strength to the current BE lineup

UConn FB was ok for a few seasons about 10 years back, but it was a short lived bump in what has been a nondescript FB program over the decades so the chance to get their BB programs back in a stronger BB centric conference was the decision here. - FB was doing nothing in the AAC & this looks like UConn has run the white flag of surrender up the flagpole on FB and seems to have cast their future with BB returning to national prominence - FB might survive, but it's probably going to be on a lesser level of concern for UConn's brain-trust 

Isn’t Creighton the only MVC school the Big east added? And it’s kind of hard to say they took a step back with Villanova winning two titles since the split, I mean unless you are talking specifically about the down year the BE had this season. 

7 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Isn’t Creighton the only MVC school the Big east added? And it’s kind of hard to say they took a step back with Villanova winning two titles since the split, I mean unless you are talking specifically about the down year the BE had this season. 

From Wikipedia - At a news conference in New York City on March 20, 2013, the reorganized league was formally introduced with Butler, Xavier, and Creighton included as member ............add Butler and Xavier from the Atlantic 10 Conference, as well as Creighton from the Missouri Valley Conference

I was meaning that some of the old power programs moved on & the BE filled with the above programs which aren't any slouches 

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

From Wikipedia - At a news conference in New York City on March 20, 2013, the reorganized league was formally introduced with Butler, Xavier, and Creighton included as member ............add Butler and Xavier from the Atlantic 10 Conference, as well as Creighton from the Missouri Valley Conference

O ok, that’s what I thought. In the post I replied to you said they added MVC schools, implying that all the schools they added were from there. 

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

O ok, that’s what I thought. In the post I replied to you said they added MVC schools, implying that all the schools they added were from there. 

I just knew that there was adds that came some some lower level conferences (in perception) 

21 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Gonzaga would be better off going independent if they could negotiate an autobid with the NCAA based on objective criteria.

As it currently stands there is really not much difference between Gonzaga and an ACC (or any other big 5) school. Gonzaga just plays tough schools during their 15 game OOC sch and take a breather (ie mostly weak schools but a 2-4 decent games) during their 16 game conference sch. The Big-5  meanwhile takes it easy with their OOC (with the except of a few tough games) and then play the meat of their sch in conference. You can survive as an elite program in a weak conference in basketball as basically 50% of your games are OOC.  Harder to do that in football where only 1/3rd of your games are in the OOC.

No need for them to go indy. In an extremely off year (ie only being a top 50-60 team) Gonzaga in the WCC still has a great chance to get in via the auto bid whereas if they were an indy they would be left out. 

The BE has 5 BB National Titles by teams that were in the BE at one time or another, 

Villanova - 1985 2016 2018 

Georgetown 1984 

Marquette 1977 (not in the BE at the time of the title) - was Independent as was fellow 1977 final four team UNLV 

47 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

This could play out as an interesting Chess Match between Aresco and Hair Thompson.

Is UConn bailing an opening for the MWC to grab Houston and SMU and get a larger TV deal than the AAC?

Or does the AAC pursue AFA and steal the MWC's 3rd biggest TV draw?

I highly doubt we grab Houston and SMU

1.) The MW would have to pay their buyouts (that is 20 mil)

2.) The Texas schools prefer an eastern conference over a western one

3.) If ESPN has some master plan to make a "super" mid major conference why not just take 6 schools from the AAC and 6 from the MW/BYU. That way they can hand select the schools they want. Cause as it currently stand their is plenty of fat both in the MW and AAC. Btw I DO think it might be a good idea for ESPN to make a "super" mid major conference. 5 MW schools + BYU + 6 AAC schools + Gonzaga as Olympic sports only would be a very solid conference for ESPN. 

3 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Losing your top BB school is sweet...

Yeah I don't see how an AAC fan can think this is good. I mean this school WON a men's basketball NC since the AAC was formed. Also even though it is second tier sport (along with sports like baseball, softball, ect)  having a top 5 program in UCONN women's basketball program is still pretty special. 

Yes their football will be slightly better BUT it is still a loss for the AAC.

Also I don't blame UCONN for focusing on basketball. Hell in 50 years football might no longer exist (mainly r/t to brain trauma). Pretty sure basketball is not going away.  

32 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

I highly doubt we grab Houston and SMU

1.) The MW would have to pay their buyouts (that is 20 mil)

2.) The Texas schools prefer an eastern conference over a western one

3.) If ESPN has some master plan to make a "super" mid major conference why not just take 6 schools from the AAC and 6 from the MW/BYU. That way they can hand select the schools they want. Cause as it currently stand their is plenty of fat both in the MW and AAC. Btw I DO think it might be a good idea for ESPN to make a "super" mid major conference. 5 MW schools + BYU + 6 AAC schools + Gonzaga as Olympic sports only would be a very solid conference for ESPN. 

Guest #1Stunner
42 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Agree the time zones are a factor, that;s why it'd have to be two or more or nothing - The WCC is only as good as Gonzaga makes it & BYU adds some support, but after St Mary's the WCC falls off fast and there's probably not much anyone or Gonzaga / BYU can do about it - It's just a top heavy conference similar to the 1980's Big West with UNLV 

Only criteria that matters for a mid major conference is annual number of NCAA tournament bids.

This big question now is....is Boise State working a back channel to join the AAC as a fb-only addition?   I'm sure they are in some way.  BSU loves late starts and ESPN so it would be a good for both.   Then the rest of the MW can do away with FCS fields and uneven TV distribution.   And no doubt, nobody will be begging them to come back. 

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

I can see this happening because there were so many articles online by Navy fans essentially arguing that joining the AAC was a mistake.  These articles were written BEFORE Uconn left and I would guess that the lack of one of the few universities close to the Naval Academy will only increase the buyer's remorse

Also, Temple can't get an on campus stadium built and there is widespread neighborhood opposition to an on campus stadium at Temple.  https://www.inquirer.com/philly/opinion/commentary/temple-university-football-stadium-lincoln-financial-field-north-philadelphia-neighbor-opposition-20180817.html Temple rents Lincoln Financial Field from the Eagles on unfavorable terms; my impression is whatever additional money Temple gets from the new media contract will basically go to pay higher rent.  Eventually, the Owls aren't going to keep throwing money down the drain.

My guess is that eventually the American implodes and becomes a more compact, smaller conference going between Florida and Texas (UAB and Georgia State fill in that map quite a bit) without Cincinnati, East Carolina, Temple or Navy.

Yep the AAC is the C-USA 2.0 no mistake about it.

Cincinnati does belong in a P5 conference and it makes sense since Ohio can easily support more than one P5 school from within the state.

My comment on Navy had to do with Army's C-USA experience which was a disaster.  Navy has done very well for a long time but when things go south, you learn a lot about your favorite team's support level and shortcomings.

I agree about Temple...easily a Big East member if they'd dump football.

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Losing your top BB school is sweet...

2 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

This big question now is....is Boise State working a back channel to join the AAC as a fb-only addition?   I'm sure they are in some way.  BSU loves late starts and ESPN so it would be a good for both.   Then the rest of the MW can do away with FCS fields and uneven TV distribution.   And no doubt, nobody will be begging them to come back. 

You seriously arguing that the MWC losing its best football Program would be a good thing?

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Yep the AAC is the C-USA 2.0 no mistake about it.

Cincinnati does belong in a P5 conference and it makes sense since Ohio can easily support more than one P5 school from within the state.

My comment on Navy had to do with Army's C-USA experience which was a disaster.  Navy has done very well for a long time but when things go south, you learn a lot about your favorite team's support level and shortcomings.

I agree about Temple...easily a Big East member if they'd dump football.

I think the Big East already has a more elite school in Philadelphia.