Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UCONN TO BIG EAST PER DIGITAL SPORTS DESK, BOSTON

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I honestly think it will be Army as football only. I don't know who would be the basketball school however but it likely will be eastern or southern schools in both FB and BB. Unfortunately this means we will not be able to pawn SJSU off to them. 

They have a lot of quality, bigger market basketball schools they can pick from in the AAC.   

They seem to really like the military academies, I agree.  Army will be their first choice, and then, maybe Air Force second.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

The AAC may pursue the Falcons but they aren’t leaving the MW. There isn’t a suitable location for Falcon Olympic sports, never mind the fact that it is a lateral move in football most years. 

My guess is Army for football, and a school like Dayton or VCU for olympics. 

AFA could easily park it's other Sports in the WAC.   Honestly, it'd be a more competitive league for them.

If not the WAC, they could join the Summit, with travel partner Denver.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

I think Army loves Indy and there is no reason for them to move.  They have a new contract with CBS for the Army-Navy game that pays more than they did before and they get to keep half which is just about what they'd make with the AAC. 

I think you are right.  Army had a failed experience in CUSA, and is now happy to be Indy.  Since they are Army, Indy scheduling is very easy for them, too.

AFA might be lured by being in the same conference as Navy, however.

Holy shit this is really happening?  I thought it was fake news. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Would the AAC take on the anchor that is UMass football?

My guess is no.

BYU played UMass in Massachusetts last year, and they seriously had like 200 fans there.   It was way worse than even playing SJSU.

There are way better programs than UMASS, who probably should be FCS in football.

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Holy shit this is really happening?  I thought it was fake news. 

@Balzac might be having a heart attack right now.

45 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-uconn-big-east-conference-aac-20190622-20190622-qgewcp6jhvd5fd4lenxr5vnncm-story.html

UConn wants back to the Big East schools and the BE Tournament.   While GU was using us to get the WCC to give GU what they want.  UConn isn't looking to do the same.   Their big concern is the new ESPN deal they will take them of Linear TV and off the SNY network they have.   Being in the BE will put them on FOX and CBS OTA. 

I agree, I was just pointing out that not all schools who say that leave.  If I were UCONN I would do it..

8 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

I think Army loves Indy and there is no reason for them to move.  They have a new contract with CBS for the Army-Navy game that pays more than they did before and they get to keep half which is just about what they'd make with the AAC. 

We will see. Navy will give up their half of that money to the AAC and the only reason that Army would keep theirs is because of how much  theirs would be if the CBS money was greater than the ESPN money that the AAC gets. I don't know if it will be but Navy obviously does not think so.. However none of us know that at this point. In terms of logistics, fan base etc. Army/Navy would be the best TV deal for whatever G5 conference gets them.

I think it will be very important for us to keep AFA. We have the advantage that we and the PAC are the only two real football conferences in the west.  The PAC is clearly on a downhill path and so that will help. In any case this move may not be good for UConn as no P5 conference will take a school without a football program and none of the other independents have been able to actually support themselves other than BYU and Army.

Who knows? However I am pleased to see UConn depart as it should take some of the wind out of the sails of the AAC fans.

36 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

AFA could easily park it's other Sports in the WAC.   Honestly, it'd be a more competitive league for them.

If not the WAC, they could join the Summit, with travel partner Denver.

Maybe Summit but there’s no chance they go to the WAC, which they consider beneath them. The WAC is also on it’s deathbed with UMKC and likely others on their way out. 

29 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think you are right.  Army had a failed experience in CUSA, and is now happy to be Indy.  Since they are Army, Indy scheduling is very easy for them, too.

AFA might be lured by being in the same conference as Navy, however.

Hard to see how moving football to the AAC would benefit AFA.  They already play Navy every season plus all of their traditional Front Range rivals.  The financial impact would be minimal or negative since they would be trading a full share of MWC revenue for a partial share of AAC revenue plus a full share of WAC or Summit non-revenue.

7 hours ago, 1066 said:

IS IT TRUE??????  UCONN TO THE BIG EAST. REPORT BY DIGITAL SPORTS DESK SAYS THEY ARE GONE. AAC will no doubt throw them out of football and Olympics. Will UConn cancel football?

Or is this yet another fake story? I have checked ESPN and see no report of this but who can tell. If it is true I would think the AAC would be better going to 10 or taking in Army if they want to maintain 12.

Could be big news OR fake news. What do you think?

http://www.digitalsportsdesk.com/ncaa-basketball/big-east/uconn-to-return-to-big-east/

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops

I'll admit I thought they wouldn't do it....

I would prefer we just stay at 11 and we all just get a raise...if we have to expand, Army football only and VCU Olympic sports would be my addition.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

My hope is YBU gets the invite, and goes to the AAC

The only downside is Stunner might not post here because of conference message board, oh wait AAC posters are here beating their chest at every turn. I promise everyone that the AAC T.V. deal will be worth $7 million per for YBU posters.

I seriously doubt BYU or AF would go to the AAC. BYU wouldn’t stoop to join the MWC, they won’t for the AAC either. Plus, money would be an issue. AF Olympic sports other than basketball is pretty good and they wouldn’t want to drop to the WAC. Travel for Oly sports would be an issue for the AAC.

I could see the AAC making a big push for BYU in football. Hell, maybe BYU would go, look at all that eastern exposure. 

27 minutes ago, 1066 said:

We will see. Navy will give up their half of that money to the AAC and the only reason that Army would keep theirs is because of how much  theirs would be if the CBS money was greater than the ESPN money that the AAC gets. I don't know if it will be but Navy obviously does not think so.. However none of us know that at this point. In terms of logistics, fan base etc. Army/Navy would be the best TV deal for whatever G5 conference gets them.

But isn't part of the deal with the Army-Navy game is it is the ONLY game of the week? Don't they play it the week after conference champ games and the week before bowls start? 

If they were in the same conference obviously they would have to play the game a different week with multiple other big football games on tv. Don't get me wrong the game would still be valuable but guessing that value decreases.  Or the alternative would be to have Army/Navy in separate divisions and make it a rule they NEVER play a cross over game. Thus they can still play the week after CC games as an OOC game. Which I guess could work with the exception of a case when Army and Navy  both win their division the same year (ie they would play their conference champ game and then the next week play the Army Navy game).   

Here’s a radical proposal.  The MWC takes UConn football, boots SJSU and shifts Boise to the west.  In exchange for taking their football program UConn agrees to play the top 6 MWC basketball teams OOC every year, 3 home & 3 away. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater