Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

NBA Draft

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Brandon Clarke goes from SJSU to Gonzaga to first round draft pick. Who thinks this would have happened if he had stayed at SJSU? 

Doubtful he would have been developed at SJSU the way he was developed at Gonzaga.  Higher profile program helps a lot but more importantly I'm sure Clarke had a better staff to help him in Spokane.

Similar situation from a development perspective to Colton Iverson at CSU.  Iverson was not getting what he needed at Minnesota out of Tubby Smith's staff and Smith decided he wanted to prioritize Ralph Sampson III.  Colton came to CSU very raw and worked hard during the season he sat out.  He improved enough that he most likely would have been MWC POY had Kendall Williams not gone off for 46 against CSU that year.  And enough to be drafted in the 2nd round.

Heres the kicker.  The CSU coach that worked most with Colton was Craig Smith.  If I were a Utah State fan I'd be really excited to have Queta back for a second year with Craig.

13 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Yeah I guess I shouldn’t have said that he IS a racist, but, according to a lawsuit against him, he said racist things which coincided with all of our good players transferring and him getting fired in the middle of the summer. 

The point remains that WE HAD THE #21 OVERALL PICK ON OUR TEAM. He easily would have gone down as the best player in SJSU history and we could have made an ncaa tournament appearance for only the second time ever had he stayed and woj not been dismissed.

Go grizzlies I guess

SJS has been to the NCAA Tournament THREE times......

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Wait, so the lesser MArtin got drafted? I can never keep them strait. Shame on their mom for giving them such similar names

And shame on the brothers for similar haircuts and similar numbers (10 and 11).  

11 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

For the record, I think Bol Bol is going to be a game-changing star in the NBA...

7'-8" wingspan and shot greater than 50% from beyond the arc.

The Nuggets got a steal. Miami will wish they had held onto that pick in a few years. 

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Lol

The GM of the Charlotte Hornets one day after drafting Cody Martin out of Nevada: "And to my right, Cody Martin of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas."

Fun seeing Martin not even flinch when UNLV was named 

Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

I saw somewhere that Caroline signed a FA deal with the Lakers (who have lots of roster spots open).

Yeah I'm really hoping he's able to stick. 

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Lol

The GM of the Charlotte Hornets one day after drafting Cody Martin out of Nevada: "And to my right, Cody Martin of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas."

So you are saying Nevada should make more of an effort to play up Reno to limit confusion? Maybe use UNR more?

18 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

The 21st overall pick was at SJSU two years ago and bailed because the only coach in our history to actually win games and recruit good players turned out to be a racist. :suicide:

15 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Yeah I guess I shouldn’t have said that he IS a racist, but, according to a lawsuit against him, he said racist things which coincided with all of our good players transferring and him getting fired in the middle of the summer. 

The point remains that WE HAD THE #21 OVERALL PICK ON OUR TEAM. He easily would have gone down as the best player in SJSU history

Revisionist history.

Brandon Clarke did not leave the team until Jean Prioleau was the coach at SJSU.  At the time it looked like Clarke didn't want to stick around and play for Prioleau, along with the fact that a lot of schools were probably showing indirect interest in him transferring after the coaching change.

I don't think he "easily" would have proven to be better than Ricky Berry, who was a really good player that was drafted higher than Clarke and who had a solid rookie season before his death (mysterious suicide).

1 hour ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Revisionist history.

Brandon Clarke did not leave the team until Jean Prioleau was the coach at SJSU.  At the time it looked like Clarke didn't want to stick around and play for Prioleau, along with the fact that a lot of schools were probably showing indirect interest in him transferring after the coaching change.

I don't think he "easily" would have proven to be better than Ricky Berry, who was a really good player that was drafted higher than Clarke and who had a solid rookie season before his death (mysterious suicide).

Can you just let me be bitter? It’s all I have.

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

So you are saying Nevada should make more of an effort to play up Reno to limit confusion? Maybe use UNR more?

There really isn't anything UNR can do about it. Its not their fault that despite being irrelevant in basketball for so long, UNLV still has more brand/name recognition than they do. When people think of college basketball in Nevada, UNLV is still the first name that comes to mind of your average basketball fan. 

I remember an article interviewing Caleb/Cody Martin, and when they committed to UNR they actually thought they were going to Las Vegas up until the point their plane landed in Reno to go to campus the first time. I'm sure they were a bit disappointed. It might explain why Cody Martin didn't even react when Kupchak said he was from UNLV, I'm sure he thinks its a common mistake. lol

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

21 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Did Caleb’s foot problems raise red flags, or was Cody simply the better all around player? Cody’s defense was excellent and I’m sure had an impact on his draft position. 

Cody was the better all around player. They were invited to a g league scrimmage camp and Cody played well enough to be invited to the draft combine where he impressed as well. 

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevadas-cody-martin-lifts-stock-with-another-good-showing-at-nba-combine

During the first scrimmage of the NBA Combine on Thursday, Martin did what he usually does, which is fill up the stat sheet. In 19 minutes of action, Martin tallied five points, six assists, six rebounds and two steals in 19 minutes. He made 2-of-6 shots, including 2-of-2 from three, while posting a plus/minus of plus-15.

In Friday's second scrimmage, he was more assertive on offense and finished with a team-high 16 points to go with six rebounds and five assists in 25 minutes. Martin made 7-of-14 shots, including 0-of-2 3-pointers, and sank 2-of-3 free throws. While his team lost 85-82, Martin posted a plus/minus of plus-13, the best on his team.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

9 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

For the record, I think Bol Bol is going to be a game-changing star in the NBA...

7'-8" wingspan and shot greater than 50% from beyond the arc.

You think he stays healthy?  A big guy with foot issues?  That would scare the shit out of me as a GM.  Good thing they got him in the 2nd.  

43 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

You think he stays healthy?  A big guy with foot issues?  That would scare the shit out of me as a GM.  Good thing they got him in the 2nd.  

That’s the caveat. I think the stress fracture is no big deal (for a dude that weighs like 170 pounds). Just saw reporting that says he may have degenerative knees. So maybe that’s the issue. But why not get the dude some titanium knees. They’re replaceable nowadays, right?