Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tulsa Guy

Dallas Morning News on Big 12 Expansion

I don't see any MW teams moving up even if the B12 expands.  They will look east if they add any programs.

IMO, Cincy, Houston and Memphis have a shot.  None of us do, although SDSU may be a long shot.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

20 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Kansas is AAU...they're BIG-10 bound.

You want Southern & Northern Nevada in your BOR ahead of CSU...hahaha!

The academic divide between the top of your BOR & CSU-Fresno is MASIVE!

No one cares about CSU. 

6 minutes ago, Cincy said:

No one cares about CSU. 

Respect your elders & get some research $$$ for your AI Pgm & the BIG Valley Smog 'n' Polluted Ground h2o Institute.

8 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Respect your elders & get some research $$$ for your AI Pgm & the BIG Valley Smog 'n' Polluted Ground h2o Institute.

UNLV brings LV, Nevada has solid hoops and improving football. 

CSU brings.....not much at all for either football or hoops. CSU does bring huge stadium payoff debt, though I don’t think that’s a selling point  

39 minutes ago, Cincy said:

UNLV brings LV, Nevada has solid hoops and improving football. 

CSU brings.....not much at all for either football or hoops. CSU does bring huge stadium payoff debt, though I don’t think that’s a selling point  

CSU brings Denver. Just ask any sheep

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The Big 12 is the only vulnerable P5 conference. ACC can afford to lose a couple schools because they have the option of staying at 12 plus ND. The Pac-12 is stunted by its geography, but also protected by it. The Big 12 is too small, both in number of schools and geographic footprint. 

If the Big 12 does lose two schools there are at least three from the MWC and five from the AAC as well as BYU who could replace them or take the Big 12 back to 12 schools. However the only two schools which would be attractive to other P5 conferences are Texas and Oklahoma. The two schools least likely to want to leave. I fully agree with your opinion on the Pac 12, they need a new commish now.  Of course so do we in the MWC.

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

If the Big 12 does lose two schools there are at least three from the MWC and five from the AAC as well as BYU who could replace them or take the Big 12 back to 12 schools. However the only two schools which would be attractive to other P5 conferences are Texas and Oklahoma. The two schools least likely to want to leave. I fully agree with your opinion on the Pac 12, they need a new commish now.  Of course so do we in the MWC.

I think the biggest threat to the Big 12 isn’t Texas leaving, because they seem more then happy with the status quo. I think the biggest threats to leave are KU, OU, and WVU. UT May big-time the B1G or SEC, but KU wouldn’t. Same with OU and the SEC. All it takes is one school to leave to trigger a massive round of expansion, and in almost any scenario WVU would be an attractive candidate to the ACC if they needed to backfill, and there is no chance they would turn down that invite. At that point what is more appealing to whoever is left? Bring in Houston and BYU? Or would UT take 3 other schools with them and figure they’d be better off in the Pac-12 East with CU, Utah, UA, and ASU?   

4 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

If a BOR conference formed academics would play 0 factor.  TV money, recruiting grounds and the profile of the Football and Basketball programs would be the only criteria.

7 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I don't see any MW teams moving up even if the B12 expands.  They will look east if they add any programs.

IMO, Cincy, Houston and Memphis have a shot.  None of us do, although SDSU may be a long shot.

That assumes that the Big 12 expands with G5 schools.  What if the CFP doesn't grow to eight teams, the Pac-12 keeps being passed over for a playoff berth, and a larger money discrepancy emerges between the Pac-12 and the other P5 conferences?  Maybe at some point that drives a frustrated USC to consider joining the Big 12 and bringing along Arizona and Arizona State to bridge the geographic gap.  Obviously the scenario is unlikely but I could see the Big 12 parting ways with WVU and expanding westward if it made sense financially.

20 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

When networks start offering more money for bigger conferences everything is going to get blown up. If and when ACC/SEC and Big Ten decide to grow again, at the end of the day I don't see Big 12 surviving. The big schools will be in another conference leaving the small schools to either form their own conference or they will have to join some of the conferences they really don't want to join.

I think it's less likely that conferences will grow again but rather they'll start scheduling more OOC Power programs.  This is particularly true if the playoff expands as one or even two losses won't automatically exclude a team from making the playoff.  Traditional rivalries that fans and networks care about are already taking a hit with large conferences and further expansion will only exasperate this.  Networks will pay more money for better matchups whether in or out of conference.  Texas and Oklahoma are the only real difference makers out there and as long as they are making relatively similar money to what they would in the SEC or B1G I don't see them moving.  Especially since the Big XII appears to be an easier path to the playoff.

21 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

From reading posts made here by denizens of the Aresco Football Conference, it doesn't appear to be all that prevalent over there.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

my hope is nothing happens as I like the AAC as it is...

if something does happen I hope it involves the B1G taking 2 teams from the Big XII (say Kansas and OK State) and the PAC 12 taking 2 teams from the Big XII (say Texas and Oklahoma)

that way the Big XII will still feature big name programs like WVU, TCU, KSU, Iowa State, Baylor, etc but they would need 4-6 teams to get back to either 10/12

that way there's room for BYU, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UConn, and maybe even UCF to come join the party.

AAC can then back fill from CUSA/Independents

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Oklahoma State to the Big 10.

That's a good one...

And the Pac 12's opportunity to raid the Big 12 died in 2012.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

Oklahoma State to the Big 10.

That's a good one...

And the Pac 12's opportunity to raid the Big 12 died in 2012.

Okay, Okay...Kansas + Iowa State to the B1G along with Texas + Oklahoma to the Pac 12

BYU, Cincy, Houston, UConn, Memphis, and UCF to the Big XII

I'd take that.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

14 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Okay, Okay...Kansas + Iowa State to the B1G along with Texas + Oklahoma to the Pac 12

BYU, Cincy, Houston, UConn, Memphis, and UCF to the Big XII

I'd take that.

Kansas or Iowa State bring next to nothing to the Big Ten.  Only Oklahoma or Texas move the needle.  And as a lifelong Big Ten observer, I am still upset with Maryland and Rutgers joining.  To hell with some other Big 12 additions.

9 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Kansas or Iowa State bring next to nothing to the Big Ten.  Only Oklahoma or Texas move the needle.  And as a lifelong Big Ten observer, I am still upset with Maryland and Rutgers joining.  To hell with some other Big 12 additions.

they make as much if not more sense than Maryland and Rutgers...

If I had to guess, we'll see 4-5 years of peace and quiet (which is fine by me)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

12 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

That assumes that the Big 12 expands with G5 schools.  What if the CFP doesn't grow to eight teams, the Pac-12 keeps being passed over for a playoff berth, and a larger money discrepancy emerges between the Pac-12 and the other P5 conferences?  Maybe at some point that drives a frustrated USC to consider joining the Big 12 and bringing along Arizona and Arizona State to bridge the geographic gap.  Obviously the scenario is unlikely but I could see the Big 12 parting ways with WVU and expanding westward if it made sense financially.

Hmmm... USC, ASU, and UA is 3 schools.... they would need a fourth to get and even number and to help further bridge the gap....

New Mexico to Big 12 confirmed #flagship

6 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

they make as much if not more sense than Maryland and Rutgers...

If I had to guess, we'll see 4-5 years of peace and quiet (which is fine by me)

Well, Big Ten wanted to bloat their market numbers, so no, those Big12 schools don't make sense unless it is Texas, and OU.  

And this hypothetical exercise is fruitless.  AAC isn't losing anyone, MWC isn't losing anyone.  Grab a Snickers, kids.  It's gonna be awhile for expansion to happen.

I think I'm the only person who likes the idea of a 6 team playoff. That way the #1 and #2 get something for finishing that high and having an amazing season...you get a bye (and it cuts down on total number of games played).

take the 6 highest ranked teams in the CFP poll...no auto-bids

6-Team-Single-Seeded.gif

mem skyline sig.jpeg