Jump to content
Tulsa Guy

Dallas Morning News on Big 12 Expansion

Recommended Posts

Changes made within the B12 probably strengthen the case for non-expansion.

1.  Other conferences are now looking at the B12 model matching its top two rated teams following the finish of conference play.  This increases the possibilities to get your top rated conference team into the national playoff.  Aresco just picked up on this, for example, for AAC to insure AAC gets a team in a NY6 Bowl.

2.  B12 earns more money per school than ACC or PAC.  Texas, with the Longhorn Network, earns just as much as B1G school.  Oklahoma's third tier rights make it possible for the Sooners to earn as much money as a SEC school. 

3.  B12 has solved its nonexistant TV Network problem via ESPN+.

4.  Top P5 teams like the Oklahoma Sooners are scheduling stronger in football.  OU has added Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, and Nebraska and annually plays Texas who has also upgraded its future schedule with top rated P5 teams.  So why add UCF to B12?

5.  The National Playoff is gaining more and more support for 8 teams rather than 4.  For Oklahoma U and Texas U, the easiest path is thru the Bi12."

How the Big 12 went from a dysfunctional conference into one enjoying a period of prosperity, By Chuck Carlton, Dallas Morning News, June 15, 2019.  This article published following B12 meetings.

"The public posturing and talk of being "psychologically disadvantaged" may actually have done some good."

"If nothing else, the B12 was forced to evaluate every issue instead of kicking the can down the road"

"At times, it was embarrassing.  At times, the Big 12 seemed like a powder keg."

"I think it has evolved," Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said.  "People never disliked each other.  We have resolved many of those issues.  As a result, we're enjoying a period of prosperity."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah. B12 or ACC still gonna get torn apart in the next expansion wave. They're gonna lose teams in all directions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Nah. B12 or ACC still gonna get torn apart in the next expansion wave. They're gonna lose teams in all directions.

ACC is going nowhere, and their revenue is about to increase pretty well with the launch of the ACCNetwork.  Big 12 is the only conference with questions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

ACC is going nowhere, and their revenue is about to increase pretty well with the launch of the ACCNetwork.  Big 12 is the only conference with questions.

In addition, ACC Grant of Rights goes to 2035-36.  Revenue projections for the ACC Network range from $6M to $15M per school.  I think but am not sure that OU earns $6M annually from its Sooner Sports Network carried by FOX.  I think but am not sure that the SEC earns $15M per school from the SEC TV Network.

Florida U President was publicly quoted SEC is not interested in expansion.  SEC Grant of RIghts expires 2033-34.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

  Big 10 and SEC are the only conferences without questions.

FIFY

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RSF said:

FIFY

If you want to try that, Ivy League is the only one without questions.  SEC and Big Ten are too entrenched in tradition, ACC is balanced in the money programs, and nearly all of the power programs are traditionally tied to other programs or are blackballed by the SEC, and Pac12 is in it's own geographical world.  Big12 is Texas,  OU, KU basketball, and the rest.  They are doing fine right now, but they are the ones susceptible to raids.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "case for non-expansion"? That sounds like the case for "nothing happened". An investigation in search of something to investigate...

Whatever happened to critical thought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for 4-5 years of peace and quiet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When networks start offering more money for bigger conferences everything is going to get blown up. If and when ACC/SEC and Big Ten decide to grow again, at the end of the day I don't see Big 12 surviving. The big schools will be in another conference leaving the small schools to either form their own conference or they will have to join some of the conferences they really don't want to join.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

When networks start offering more money for bigger conferences everything is going to get blown up. If and when ACC/SEC and Big Ten decide to grow again, at the end of the day I don't see Big 12 surviving. The big schools will be in another conference leaving the small schools to either form their own conference or they will have to join some of the conferences they really don't want to join.

Cue a BOR thread. 

Kansas

K/State

Iowa State

TCU

Texas Tech

Fresno State

Boise State

SUDS

Nevada

UNLV

Air Force

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Changes made within the B12 probably strengthen the case for non-expansion.

1.  Other conferences are now looking at the B12 model matching its top two rated teams following the finish of conference play.  This increases the possibilities to get your top rated conference team into the national playoff.  Aresco just picked up on this, for example, for AAC to insure AAC gets a team in a NY6 Bowl.

2.  B12 earns more money per school than ACC or PAC.  Texas, with the Longhorn Network, earns just as much as B1G school.  Oklahoma's third tier rights make it possible for the Sooners to earn as much money as a SEC school. 

I fail to understand how you think your first point has any relevance to Big 12 expansion.

As to your second point, assuming for purposes of argument there is validity to the assertion increased income is a disincentive to expand, since the Pac12 has been falling further and further behind the other four power conferences in revenue, that would be a reason to the Pac12 WOULD be inclined to expand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

The "case for non-expansion"? That sounds like the case for "nothing happened". An investigation in search of something to investigate...

Whatever happened to critical thought?

From reading posts made here by denizens of the Aresco Football Conference, it doesn't appear to be all that prevalent over there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Nah. B12 or ACC still gonna get torn apart in the next expansion wave. They're gonna lose teams in all directions.

 

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

ACC is going nowhere, and their revenue is about to increase pretty well with the launch of the ACCNetwork.  Big 12 is the only conference with questions.

The more I think about it, there's only one vulnerable power conference and that's the B12 - The B12 is the only P5 conference with a few top heavy schools (mainly Texas & Oklahoma) ......so this move to bolster the top of the B12 against the other power conferences is a move to make sure the B12 holds together.

We pretty much know that the B12 status of OU & Texas are probably the linchpins of any future conference moves.............and I honestly don't think there will be any big moves in the coming years as there's not a lot of "must have" value in the G5 and there's already some dead weight in the current P5 conferences 

And if these B12 moves work out, they give their top level teams a better shot at top national bowls 

Biggest threat to the G5 & under is if (and this might have already started) the P5 programs don't schedule G5's and start staying within themselves - The PAC12 cuts out some games in BB & some P5's have said that they won't schedule FCS anymore 

So either there's no moves much at all or the P5 will go to a stronger P4 format and kick their dead weight to the curb and go with 4 divisions of super strong programs - But this brings up the question of: Would this be for football only? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Big 12 is the only vulnerable P5 conference. ACC can afford to lose a couple schools because they have the option of staying at 12 plus ND. The Pac-12 is stunted by its geography, but also protected by it. The Big 12 is too small, both in number of schools and geographic footprint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Larry Scott probably fantasizes about Washington St. no longer being able to fund athletics at the P5 level. There are a handful of MWC schools that he would likely trade Wazzu for in a heartbeat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

From reading posts made here by denizens of the Aresco Football Conference, it doesn't appear to be all that prevalent over there.

They probably spend a lot of time searching for evidence of the non-existence of Sasquatch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cincy said:

Cue a BOR thread. 

Kansas

K/State

Iowa State

TCU

Texas Tech

Fresno State

Boise State

SUDS

Nevada

UNLV

Air Force

 

Kansas is AAU...they're BIG-10 bound.

You want Southern & Northern Nevada in your BOR ahead of CSU...hahaha!

The academic divide between the top of your BOR & CSU-Fresno is MASIVE!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cosinama said:

BYU is in!!!

The fat lady has sung and I’m not talking about BYU co Eds.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×