Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

Reliable small to mid SUV

Anyone have input? I'm leaning towards an Infiniti  qx50 or jeep grand Cherokee. Used, around $20k.

My poor truck was totaled Monday when I was in  45 zone and cross traffic at a stop decided to go. Frames bent so.....lucky all I got was a concussion but damn it sucks. Blurry vision, vertigo etc. Not supposed to be on a screen but I'm a rebel.

Thanks in advance for any input.

One of the Final Five..........

I'd look at a used BMW X3. My buddy's wife just got one of those and they're +++++ing great. They handle like a 3 series almost, but are also spacious and are totally up to par on the technology side of things. Plus they're solidly built, and can last a long time, provided there's no neglect in the maintenance. Of course, my buddy (her husband) has a Jeep Wrangler which is a great little outfit as well. 

Sorry to hear about your wreck @mysfit, hope you're OK. Concussions are not fun at all. 

First, Glad to hear ur ok after the accident.

Both my mom and I have a Lexus rx350 which has served us both well. Very comfy and reliable. I used to drive a Jeep Wrangler but that broke down all the time.

My sister just bought a used landrover discovery, she hasnt put too many miles on it but she loves it and it's pretty nice looking. My gf is thinking of a new small SUV too and we've done a bit a research on the Porsche Macan. Seems a great vehicle and just like the discovery, you can get a used one with low miles for a decent price.

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

Anyone have input? I'm leaning towards an Infiniti  qx50 or jeep grand Cherokee. Used, around $20k.

My poor truck was totaled Monday when I was in  45 zone and cross traffic at a stop decided to go. Frames bent so.....lucky all I got was a concussion but damn it sucks. Blurry vision, vertigo etc. Not supposed to be on a screen but I'm a rebel.

Thanks in advance for any input.

It looks like your old ride was a Tundra, so you know all about Toyotas.  Two-of-my-last-three vehicles were:  a 4runner & a Tacoma quad cab

...both were/are AWESOME.

Mileage isn't great, but they're bullet-proof, require very little maintenance & really hold their value.

Back in the early '00's, I sold an old Toyota Pickup w/the 22RE engine to a buddy who runs sled dog all-winter in the Interior of AK.  It's still ticking w/+300k-mi on the original engine.

Reliable, unfussy: Mazda CX-5, Toyota Rav4 or Highlander (not that small)

Pretty: BMW X3/X5 (lousy reliability, very expensive repairs), Volvo XC whatever (also very high repair bills), Audi Q3/Q5 (same). Also available at shockingly low price point: Porsche Cayenne. I hear they're actually quite reliable, but if something breaks, you'll bleed. And cry.

Freedom: Buick Encore (small) or Enclave (not so small), Jeep Cherokee 

18 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

It looks like your old ride was a Tundra, so you know all about Toyotas.  Two-of-my-last-three vehicles were:  a 4runner & a Tacoma quad cab

...both were/are AWESOME.

Mileage isn't great, but they're bullet-proof, require very little maintenance & really hold their value.

Back in the early '00's, I sold an old Toyota Pickup w/the 22RE engine to a buddy who runs sled dog all-winter in the Interior of AK.  It's still ticking w/+300k-mi on the original engine.

This.

I bought a new Tacoma last year and I love it.

Funny how the old Tundras are the same size as the new Tacomas now.

Yeah it was a 2002 Tundra. I love toyotas. Would love to get a 4runner but dang the prices are higher than I can handle right now.

I want to get better gas mileage than I was getting. Or maybe I'll go for another Tundra. 

One of the Final Five..........

24 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Reliable, unfussy: Mazda CX-5, Toyota Rav4 or Highlander (not that small)

Pretty: BMW X3/X5 (lousy reliability, very expensive repairs), Volvo XC whatever (also very high repair bills), Audi Q3/Q5 (same). Also available at shockingly low price point: Porsche Cayenne. I hear they're actually quite reliable, but if something breaks, you'll bleed. And cry.

Freedom: Buick Encore (small) or Enclave (not so small), Jeep Cherokee 

No kidding about the Audi cars.

I had the All Road Wagon for awhile.  DAMN...that was a beautiful ride, but it was WAY over-engineered.  Everything thing was AWESOME until it hit about 70k-mi.  Then everything started to break & costs an arm & a leg to fix.

Don't get me wrong...all the little gadgets on that thing were cool while they worked.  My favorites were:

#1 - the 4-independent airbags that adjusted the clearance from really-low to the same hight as a Ford Explorer.  You could adjusted it manually if you were on a rough dirt road, or set it on automatic & would self adjust according to your speed.

#2 - the parachute like sleeve that that came out of the middle of the rear seats from the trunk so you wouldn't get wet or cut from the edges of your skis stored in your trunk.

Just picked up a 2017 Tacoma this week and loving it. The wife has a santa Fe and it's a pretty nice ride. A couple weeks back, we had a Pathfinder rental up in San Fran, and it was great. The reviews aren't so hot though and the rear door wouldn't open high enough where I wouldn't hit my head Everytime. But the access cabs are pretty cool on the Tacoma's so I would imagine it's closer to your old Tundra.

Glad you aren't hurt too bad too.

20 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Just picked up a 2017 Tacoma this week and loving it. The wife has a santa Fe and it's a pretty nice ride. A couple weeks back, we had a Pathfinder rental up in San Fran, and it was great. The reviews aren't so hot though and the rear door wouldn't open high enough where I wouldn't hit my head Everytime. But the access cabs are pretty cool on the Tacoma's so I would imagine it's closer to your old Tundra.

Glad you aren't hurt too bad too.

The best lil' gadget on the Tacoma quad cab I keep in Alaska, is a 110v electoral outlet in the pick-up bed.  I have a shell on it, so it's great to be able to plug in a lil' microwave oven or other items for car camping, fishing & hunting trips.

57 minutes ago, mysfit said:

I want to get better gas mileage than I was getting. Or maybe I'll go for another Tundra. 

Rav4 Hybrid 41/38 MPG.  Toyota has the best Hybrid system by a long shot. Highly unlikely you will find a more reliable vehicle. Probably highly rated by Consumer Reports.

110926run_defense710.jpg

I'm glad to hear that you're okay. I have a 2013 Lexus RX350 and I love it. You could probably find one used around the price range you're looking for with ~60k miles on it. 

16 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Rav4 Hybrid 41/38 MPG.  Toyota has the best Hybrid system by a long shot. Highly unlikely you will find a more reliable vehicle. Probably highly rated by Consumer Reports.

But can she find one for $20k?

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

But can she find one for $20k?

No, but sometimes desired used vehicles have such high resale, new becomes a better / reasonable possibility.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Another thing to consider is all the new safety equipment.  I bought a new 2017 Sienna LE because that is what I wanted.  Fast forward, I have rented vehicles with advanced safety features such as Lane Departure Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatically Emergency Braking, plus other systems that I don't readily recall.  I since have wished I would have spent an extra $5k to have these features.

110926run_defense710.jpg