Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packedandready

BSU Natl Champ calls out ESPN commentators

Allie Ostrander calls out ESPN

Got to respect her for this if you read her post, it is hard to disagree. Commenting on her height might make sense but weight etc have little to do with track performance.

Also, after the Oslo DL results, I think she's got to drop another 10s before she can be legitimately considered a top American steeple runner. Hoping she jumps to pro next year

She has a point, you never hear male athletes being described by their height and weight.  

Can you imagine a commentator describing a star football player as a 6'2" 245 lb. linebacker out of Nowhere Oklahoma or had the audacity to list their height and weight in an onscreen graphic during introductions or in a media guide.  

I kind of disagree on the height/weight part. That’s an acceptable part of sports -for football, people spend all sorts of time comparing different body types.

But she absolutely has a point in the baby faced and “looks like she plays with Barbies” comments.

The only point I would say she has is maybe with the Barbie thing, but that sounds like it was just used as a way of saying she looks young.

But complaining about them talking about the height and weight? Dumb. Complaining about “baby faced assassin”? Dumb. If she thinks broadcasters don’t say these sorts of things about male athletes then it sounds like she just doesn’t listen to a lot of men’s sports. 

Allie:

You are a great athlete. No need to be so sensitive and a SJW. Just about everyone I know thinks you look and sound like a grade school kid. That’s part of your likability. You are this little kid beating the snot out of the big kids. Thus the name Baby Faced Assassin. 

Keep kicking ass and let your running do the talking for you. 

39 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

No need to be so sensitive and a SJW.

No need for you to share your MAGA incel point of view either. At the end of the day, she was sharing her personal feelings on a semi-public instagram post that got more publicity because ESPN/SI reported it. 

25 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

No need for you to share your MAGA incel point of view either. At the end of the day, she was sharing her personal feelings on a semi-public instagram post that got more publicity because ESPN/SI reported it. 

It has nothing to do with MAGA except with you. Everything doesn’t have to be a personal affront. Lighten up Francis. 

4 hours ago, Packedandready said:

Got to respect her for this if you read her post, it is hard to disagree. Commenting on her height might make sense but weight etc have little to do with track performance.

Also, after the Oslo DL results, I think she's got to drop another 10s before she can be legitimately considered a top American steeple runner. Hoping she jumps to pro next year

Any chance the headline could be changed to:

BSU Natl Champ & Alaskan calls out ESPN commentators

2 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

You’d think they were discussing their breast sizes or something...

Eating disorders are very prevalent in many women's sports.  I think that's why the athletes are sensitive about it.  That & the frequency body references were made about Allie on ESPN is my impression.

@soupslam1 & @Slapdad

7 hours ago, Packedandready said:

¿Will going "pro next yr" prevent her from going to the next Olympic Games?  We rarely get Alaskans in the Summer games.  She's been running the Mt Marathon in Seward since grade school.

9 hours ago, Slapdad said:

This is stupid. And now, I’m offended that she’s offended! 

60 years from now, a UNR fan will be pushing her down some stairs. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

11 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I kind of disagree on the height/weight part. That’s an acceptable part of sports -for football, people spend all sorts of time comparing different body types.

But she absolutely has a point in the baby faced and “looks like she plays with Barbies” comments.

Does she?

CPQq1z3WsAAEcjS.jpg

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

13 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Does she?

CPQq1z3WsAAEcjS.jpg

Way to use a 4-y/o picture @SDSUfan.  Here's a link from that article dated 2015.

https://247sports.com/college/boise-state/Article/Boise-State-Freshman-Allie-Ostrander-Set-To-Run-in-31st-World-Mountain-Running-Championships-75047310/

6 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Eating disorders are very prevalent in many women's sports.  I think that's why the athletes are sensitive about it.  That & the frequency body references were made about Allie on ESPN is my impression.

@soupslam1 & @Slapdad

Eating disorders are prevalent in lots of things with both men and women, but the commentators made no mention of that nor was it implied. Anyone who doesn’t think that height and weight have an impact on most sports is an idiot. Her having a baby face or playing with Barbies has nothing to do with sports, but the commentator is trying to make track and field sound interesting for f’s sake! Track and field!!! Have we reached a point in society that we absolutely cannot use any physical descriptors without people being offended, even when it’s accurate? It’s absurd.