Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Breaking News: Idaho Vandals Fire MBB Coach

6 hours ago, bigd said:

No one is mentioning that he only won 5 games last season, that seems like good enough of a reason to fire someone....

That was the worst season in his career as a head coach by far. Up until last season his teams had always been competitive (usually in the top 3 or so in the conference). That's why I'm surprised that he got the boot for one bad season.

8 hours ago, bigd said:

No one is mentioning that he only won 5 games last season, that seems like good enough of a reason to fire someone....

And two of those wins were against Bethesda and West Coast Baptist College (two NCCAA teams).

And before last season they lost 7 dudes to transfer - which says something about the culture there.

23 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

That is a better building, but with only 4,000 seats that seems to me that Idaho is certain that decent crowds will never attend.

I'm starting to arrive at the conclusion that unless a team has tremendous success, there just isn't the crowd draw of the past.  TV and streaming are making it very easy to just chill at home where the beer is cheap and the view is front and center.

2 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

I'm starting to arrive at the conclusion that unless a team has tremendous success, there just isn't the crowd draw of the past.  TV and streaming are making it very easy to just chill at home where the beer is cheap and the view is front and center.

There is truth in what you say however I saw interest, and attendance improve to over 10,000 fans at USU this season. I would have thought that U of I would need at least 6,000 in the new building. I could have stayed at home and watched Nevada and USU play, but watching that game live was a real experience.

The new arena is beautiful even if small. I just hope that when basketball gets good that the school did not make a mistake. I have watched a football game in the dome and that was a lot of fun given that the weather was awful.

2 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Has Idaho ever had big crowds for basketball?

With the town being just over 20,000 and the university about 10,000...I just don't see how they could ever fill a large arena.

By comparison Wazzu only averaged about 2,500 last year and haven't been in the 6,000+ range since Klay Thompson graduated.  It is just too small of a market and the drive from Spokane is treacherous during basketball season.

20 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

There is truth in what you say however I saw interest, and attendance improve to over 10,000 fans at USU this season. I would have thought that U of I would need at least 6,000 in the new building. I could have stayed at home and watched Nevada and USU play, but watching that game live was a real experience.

The new arena is beautiful even if small. I just hope that when basketball gets good that the school did not make a mistake. I have watched a football game in the dome and that was a lot of fun given that the weather was awful.

10k seemed awfully high.  I looked it up and that was for no. 12 Nevada last game of season.  Average attendance was 6800.  Attendance has gone down over the years in basketball across the country for the reasons Vandal mentioned.  It's just easier to watch at home and there are so many other viewing options for the younger generation with the internet.  And then you have schools that report tickets sold and actual live attendance is nowhere near that number.  6800 is still solid by the way.   4000 seems small for a basketball arena, but not for a town of 20k.  Pics look really sweet.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Utah_State_Aggies_men's_basketball_team

51 minutes ago, alum93 said:

10k seemed awfully high.  I looked it up and that was for no. 12 Nevada last game of season.  Average attendance was 6800.  Attendance has gone down over the years in basketball across the country for the reasons Vandal mentioned.  It's just easier to watch at home and there are so many other viewing options for the younger generation with the internet.  And then you have schools that report tickets sold and actual live attendance is nowhere near that number.  6800 is still solid by the way.   4000 seems small for a basketball arena, but not for a town of 20k.  Pics look really sweet.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Utah_State_Aggies_men's_basketball_team

You will see attendance increase to at least 8,000 per game this next year in Logan. We averaged 9,829 in 2013-14, and 9,158 in 2014-15, all time average in the spectrum is 7,912. Logan only has 51,000 people and the on campus enrollment is less than 20,000. Population projection is est. by 2050 Logan will have 110,000 people and the metro area will be well over 210,000. I would think Moscow could have some growth over that same time frame.

That basketball arena will be used for 50 years many things can change in that amount of time. Of course I do not know what interest Idaho fans have in their school so 4,000 may be plenty for them. even in 2050

23 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

That seems like if you have given up on becoming a FBS school then that is the thing to do.

I mean, it was in all the papers.

The Vandals are never going to be in an FBS Conference again. And in all honesty, as much as I enjoyed having them on the schedule every year, they never should have left the Big Sky. 

This is why I roll my eyes when people talk about Montana/MSU moving up, and neither school even wants to from everything I have read and heard. Some schools should be FCS. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

3 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

The Vandals are never going to be in an FBS Conference again. And in all honesty, as much as I enjoyed having them on the schedule every year, they never should have left the Big Sky. 

This is why I roll my eyes when people talk about Montana/MSU moving up, and neither school even wants to from everything I have read and heard. Some school should be FCS. 

Good point's

49 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

This is why I roll my eyes when people talk about Montana/MSU moving up, and neither school even wants to from everything I have read and heard. Some schools should be FCS. 

Insolent Donk.  I demand satisfaction.  Pistols at dawn!

9 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Honestly, that's the exact way I view sports anymore - I'm older, don't want to fight the traffic, crowds and everything else.......when I can stay at home, where the TV has replays, the beer is of my choice and much cheaper & the toilet runs are shorter with no line 

Think I was fortunate as a Vandal.......When I was there is was the Monson years of 1980-84 when they won and had to add metal bleachers to the open three sides in the Kibbie Dome (had not done that before) and the games drew capacity crowds to what was still a small seating set up tho people could spread wider on the football bleachers side.

Sad seeing Idaho actually have to play games in old Memorial Gym which wasn't used when i was up that way - not even considered 

The new 4000 seat building will be fine