Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Breaking News: Idaho Vandals Fire MBB Coach

giphy.gif

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

They are going a full season with an interim head coach. Seems cheap.

The NCAA violations were incredibly minor - seems like they were just trying to find dirt to fire Verlin in addition to the San Jose State level of competitiveness they put on the basketball court.

2 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

They are going a full season with an interim head coach. Seems cheap.

The NCAA violations were incredibly minor - seems like they were just trying to find dirt to fire Verlin in addition to the San Jose State level of competitiveness they put on the basketball court.

¿Are they trying to get out of paying his buy-out?

Of course they are trying to get out of paying his buy out. 

The school has no decent facilities for basketball, little fan support, very little money, are located in a hard place to recruit.

Verlin won a some games was competive in a tough place, which makes Idaho look cheap.

7 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

The school has no decent facilities for basketball, little fan support, very little money, are located in a hard place to recruit.

Verlin won a some games was competive in a tough place, which makes Idaho look cheap.

Thought I heard NIC was pretty good this year. Take that coach and those kids.  

:hmmm::huh::(

John Blanchette: Firing Don Verlin puts Idaho in contention as college basketball’s No. 1 laughing stock

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jun/14/john-blanchette-firing-don-verlin-puts-idaho-in-co/

Too bad for Don Verlin that he wasn’t caught on an FBI wiretap complaining to a sleazy agent’s middleman that his “strong-ass offer” to a basketball recruit was rebuffed.

He’d probably still have his job at the University of Idaho today.

Hey, it worked for LSU coach Will Wade. Even if he was on tape saying that his, uh, strong-ass offer was “tilted toward taking care of the mom” and despite the obvious implication, he’s still out there landing four-star prospects for the Tigers. Same for Arizona’s Sean Miller. His trusty assistant is headed for three months in jail, but Miller’s free to put together another primo recruiting class at the University of Plausible Deniability.

Pretty much anything goes among big-time college basketball coaches anymore, unless the NCAA ever gets around to sweeping up the FBI’s droppings.

But Don Verlin? He’s headed to the gallows for spitting on the sidewalk.

This may be Idaho doing the most Idaho thing ever. So far. :waiting:

But as misbegotten as Verlin’s firing is, even worse is the suspicion that it may have been dragged out to limit the options of Idaho’s incoming junior college recruits. Three enrolled in summer school this week, meaning that if Verlin’s departure dissuades them from staying, they’ll have to sit out a year under NCAA transfer rules. Two other JC imports are luckier: They aren’t scheduled to enroll until the second summer session.

But then, kids are always collateral damage when the adults can’t get out of the way.

“You know what this makes Idaho look like in the basketball world?” an area coach offered on Friday. “They just fired the winningest coach in school history for having the ops guy play on the scout team in practice.”  :foottap:

Quite a punch line, if it wasn’t so pernicious.

12 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

They have water colors of a small sized new arena for BB, but I don’t know how much. 

kat.jpg

@VandalPride97 do you have any thoughts on this? This seems really weird to me. Yes, last season was a disaster, but if you look at Verlin's career, he has done a pretty good job at a place that is tough to win. I have to think that these NCAA infractions were just an excuse to fire him without paying his buyout. And it seems odd to me that they would fire arguably the most successful coach in the school's history because of one bad season. Had donors and fans turned against Verlin? Is there another candidate for the job that is likely to be an improvement? It seems strange to me to fire Verlin otherwise.

1 hour ago, StanfordAggie said:

@VandalPride97 do you have any thoughts on this? This seems really weird to me. Yes, last season was a disaster, but if you look at Verlin's career, he has done a pretty good job at a place that is tough to win. I have to think that these NCAA infractions were just an excuse to fire him without paying his buyout. And it seems odd to me that they would fire arguably the most successful coach in the school's history because of one bad season. Had donors and fans turned against Verlin? Is there another candidate for the job that is likely to be an improvement? It seems strange to me to fire Verlin otherwise.

Most of the boosters still supported him. He will probably take an asst job somewhere and make more money. 

What can I say, he fukked up and got the boot.  Fans are split, but that's the way it goes.  BB has always been a secondary sport for Idaho, so it's easier to make changes.  Having just broken ground on the new arena, maybe we're turning over a new leaf. :shrug: 

Image result for university of idaho basketball arena

Image result for university of idaho basketball arena

So there was a misunderstanding about whether a form was or wasn't filled out before a potential recruit played some pick up ball with the team and the head coach tells the truth and doesn't try to hide a single thing in either case and he's fired? Good hell these are so small I hardly can categorize them as "minor" infractions. This just makes the Idaho AD look petty and ridiculous. They obviously had an agenda to fire Verlin but trying to use these "offenses" as legitimate reasons for their decision? c'mon! They should have just said it wasn't working out or they felt like the program needed to go in a new direction and part ways but of course they are looking for ways to fire with cause. That is far more slimy than anything Verlin or his staff did.

10 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

That is a better building, but with only 4,000 seats that seems to me that Idaho is certain that decent crowds will never attend.

It is the appropriate size for the Big Sky.  They are building for the conference they are in and the crowds they can attract

37 minutes ago, Billings said:

Is is the appropriate size for the Big Sky.  They are building for the conference they are in and the crowds they can attract

That seems like if you have given up on becoming a FBS school then that is the thing to do.

Actually their dome is a decent place to watch a football game. it is small, but in bad weather being indoors is great.