Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Make a supergroup

17 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Let’s play a game. You get 5 slots to make a band and you can pick anyone living or dead. Try to make a band you could see making an album at least as good as anything they made in real life. No double dipping. You don’t get Paul the bassist and Paul the singer/songwriter for the price of one. That’s two of your five slots. So you can’t even make the Beatles under these rules.

I think this is like picking the allstar team in the NBA.  Too many egos, and perhaps too much individual talent, would ruin the band.

All of the folks I immediately thought of are better with the supporting musicians around them now.  At least my opinion.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

There's a problem with this.

Supergroups all suck.

See The Traveling Dingleberrys as a great reason why you should never go “Super Group”. Individually the members of that shit show were great. Collectively they sucked donkey balls.

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Ringo was the perfect person for Beatles drummer...his unassuming nature is what allowed them to last as long as they did. If he had been a Bonham, the whole thing would have probably imploded a lot sooner. 

And Charlie Watts plays a similar role. Unassuming and consistent, a great counter to the egos of Richards and Jagger. 

Except when he punched Jagger in mouth for call Charlie "his drummer".

16 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Except when he punched Jagger in mouth for call Charlie "his drummer".

Sometimes you've got to keep people honest I guess. 

Even the quietest rockers lose it periodically...George Harrison even snapped finally after dealing with Yoko. 

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

The thing with the Beatles is that their music was so fundamentally universal it almost felt like you already somehow knew the songs before you heard them for the first time. Ringo's simplistic drumming allowed us all to immediately understand the song.  He was just clapping along like a kid and tapping his toes like the rest of us.

Going to see Paul later this month at T-mobile with my mom.  It will be our 3rd time seeing Paul but it will be my ten year old's first concert ever. I'm pretty proud of myself for setting that up for him.  He won't fully understand for a while, but one day in his 30s he'll say "holy crap, my dad took me to see a Beatle for my first concert.  I heard 'Let it Be' live." Going to go all out. Buy him t-shirts, a poster, unlimited cokes, whatever food he wants. 

Their music is totally timeless. Like the Abbey Road album...I don't know that there was ever a better, more perfect album made. Lot of that owes itself to George Martin and influences from William Burroughs' "cut ups" technique, but still, it was a masterpiece. But all of it has that same timeless sound to it. Like you say, a real familiarity to it regardless of how foreign it might be. 

And that should be an awesome show. I've never seen him live but I've always wanted to. My buddy and me are going to see the Stones in Jacksonville in July. Pretty stoked about that. But also, what an experience for your kid! Damn. I think my first concert was Bad Religion at the Rainbow Ballroom in Fresno when I was 13...hahaha. So he'll have me beat. Anyway, you're raising him right it sounds like. Hope the show kicks ass. 

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Mick Ronson was Mormon? :wacko: Not only was Bowie quite bisexual in those days, he was doing copious amounts of drugs. And Ronson might have been eschewing coffee?:rotflmfao:

Reminds me of an interview I saw many years ago of Burton Cummings, vocalist for the Guess Who. IIRC, the band had been together for almost a decade after starting out in Winnipeg or wherever and from meager beginnings had gotten pretty big and was still very popular when he left and Cummings was asked why he did so. The answer was that he and LDS guitarist Randy Bachman had gradually drifted apart because Bachman's drug of choice was ice cream whereas Cummings' had become LSD.

Yeah. He was a Mormon. That blew my mind the first time I heard it. Not as much as when I found out Eldridge Cleaver converted, but close. IDK how devout he was, given who he was hanging around with. Must've made for a bizarre tableau...you can't write something weirder than a Mormon (who might have been an Elder, how devout he was was disputed) hanging out with crazy ass people like Lou Reed, Andy Warhol, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, etc. Mormon or whatever he was though, he was a monster guitar player...among the most underrated ever. 

https://www.timesandseasons.org/harchive/2007/03/mormonisms-other-glam-rock-star/

Apparently the bassist from the NY Dolls was also a Mormon. Who would have guessed Mormons were into 70s Glam Rock. 

Their music is totally timeless. Like the Abbey Road album...I don't know that there was ever a better, more perfect album made. Lot of that owes itself to George Martin and influences from William Burroughs' "cut ups" technique, but still, it was a masterpiece. But all of it has that same timeless sound to it. Like you say, a real familiarity to it regardless of how foreign it might be. 

And that should be an awesome show. I've never seen him live but I've always wanted to. My buddy and me are going to see the Stones in Jacksonville in July. Pretty stoked about that. But also, what an experience for your kid! Damn. I think my first concert was Bad Religion at the Rainbow Ballroom in Fresno when I was 13...hahaha. So he'll have me beat. Anyway, you're raising him right it sounds like. Hope the show kicks ass. 

I dunno, Bad Religion is a pretty cool first.

Mine was GnR and Soundgarden opened.  I think that's a good one, too.

5 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I dunno, Bad Religion is a pretty cool first.

Mine was GnR and Soundgarden opened.  I think that's a good one, too.

Damn! That must've been a wild one. I saw Soundgarden once. And GnR once. But neither were the same as their early 90s peak. 

Yeah. It was a wild show though. it was in some Mexican bar, and it was dark, dirty, and smelled like piss. Packed too; the pit was wild.  It was punk rock as +++++. 

Yeah. He was a Mormon. That blew my mind the first time I heard it. Not as much as when I found out Eldridge Cleaver converted, but close. IDK how devout he was, given who he was hanging around with. Must've made for a bizarre tableau...you can't write something weirder than a Mormon (who might have been an Elder, how devout he was was disputed) hanging out with crazy ass people like Lou Reed, Andy Warhol, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, etc. Mormon or whatever he was though, he was a monster guitar player...among the most underrated ever. 

https://www.timesandseasons.org/harchive/2007/03/mormonisms-other-glam-rock-star/

Apparently the bassist from the NY Dolls was also a Mormon. Who would have guessed Mormons were into 70s Glam Rock. 

Killers/Brandon Flowers are kinda glammy/flamboyant.  That conformity and repression will do that to you.

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Damn! That must've been a wild one. I saw Soundgarden once. And GnR once. But neither were the same as their early 90s peak. 

Yeah. It was a wild show though. it was in some Mexican bar, and it was dark, dirty, and smelled like piss. Packed too; the pit was wild.  It was punk rock as +++++. 

It was 9th grade and the show was at the Thomas and Mack. My dad dropped me and my friend off so it was also a huge step forward in adolescent freedom.  First time seeing heavy metal barely dressed girls at a concert, being around weed, that many drunk people...it was exhilarating and overwhelming.  Mostly I just remember all the cigarette smoke.

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

It was 9th grade and the show was at the Thomas and Mack. My dad dropped me and my friend off so it was also a huge step forward in adolescent freedom.  First time seeing heavy metal barely dressed girls at a concert, being around weed, that many drunk people...it was exhilarating and overwhelming.  Mostly I just remember all the cigarette smoke.

That must've been a crazy crazy time. I was in 8th Grade too I think...maybe 9th...I forget now haha. I have the poster to the show though still...i stole a copy off a telephone pole in the Fresno Tower District. have hung onto it all these years too. 

What was your favorite show you've been to? 

That wouldn't have been like 2002-2003 or so, would it? 

23 minutes ago, retrofade said:

That wouldn't have been like 2002-2003 or so, would it? 

Sure was. Must've been Spring 2003. So I was in 9th Grade.  And 14 not 13. (my mind is hazy) Like February or March of that year. Strung Out was one of the opening acts. 

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Sure was. Must've been Spring 2003. So I was in 9th Grade. Like February or March of that year. 

Haha! Yeah, I was there for that show. If memory serves, Guttermouth was one of the openers. 

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Haha! Yeah, I was there for that show. If memory serves, Guttermouth was one of the openers. 

Hahahaha. That's hilarious! Yeah I was there too. Guttermouth and Strung Out and I think one other band opened. Great show though. It was the perfect venue for a punk show. 

If you ever want a copy of the flier to the show, let me know and I'll copy you one off the original. Would  honestly be about the same quality considering mine has small holes where the staples holding it into a pole on Olive Ave. were. 

30 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

That must've been a crazy crazy time. I was in 8th Grade too I think...maybe 9th...I forget now haha. I have the poster to the show though still...i stole a copy off a telephone pole in the Fresno Tower District. have hung onto it all these years too. 

What was your favorite show you've been to? 

U2...zoo tv tour.  Probably 9th/10th grade as well.  Might have been my second concert.  My friends waited outside a ticketmaster all night and we had like 4th row at Sam Boyd. Wasn't even a U2 fan going in but with the spectacle and hugeness of the show, the 50 video screens, cars suspended in the air, making eye contact with Bono and the Edge because we were so close, standing on our chairs the whole night, all that crazy stuff and being there with this girl I was totally in love with. It was just very impressionable.

My other favorite show I was about 19 and my buddy bailed on me for Pearl Jam in Phoenix  so I drove there by myself.  Was a HUGE Pearl Jam fan.  Had GA tickets so was able to get to the rail pretty much.  It was so sweaty and steamy in the pit I took off my drenched shirt and chucked it on stage. It was a standard issue Army brown t- shirt like Eddie used to wear.  So Eddie took off his shirt and put it on my disgusting wet shirt...and nobody I knew was there to corroborate my story.  Drove home after the concert and pretty sure I cheated death on account of how many times I nodded off. 

Found a VHS of that show on a trader forum on the early internet though.  My wife at least believes me now lol.  

Edit: holy crap it's on youtube...yes! @Nevada Convert might appreciate this somewhat. I started the vid where Eddie picks up my shirt. Ramones opened too.  Almost forgot about that.

How about you? Favorite shows, that is.

https://youtu.be/k7L1Mbarkt4?t=6775

6 hours ago, toonkee said:

U2...zoo tv tour.  Probably 9th/10th grade as well.  Might have been my second concert.  My friends waited outside a ticketmaster all night and we had like 4th row at Sam Boyd. Wasn't even a U2 fan going in but with the spectacle and hugeness of the show, the 50 video screens, cars suspended in the air, making eye contact with Bono and the Edge because we were so close, standing on our chairs the whole night, all that crazy stuff and being there with this girl I was totally in love with. It was just very impressionable.

My other favorite show I was about 19 and my buddy bailed on me for Pearl Jam in Phoenix  so I drove there by myself.  Was a HUGE Pearl Jam fan.  Had GA tickets so was able to get to the rail pretty much.  It was so sweaty and steamy in the pit I took off my drenched shirt and chucked it on stage. It was a standard issue Army brown t- shirt like Eddie used to wear.  So Eddie took off his shirt and put it on my disgusting wet shirt...and nobody I knew was there to corroborate my story.  Drove home after the concert and pretty sure I cheated death on account of how many times I nodded off. 

Found a VHS of that show on a trader forum on the early internet though.  My wife at least believes me now lol.  

Edit: holy crap it's on youtube...yes! @Nevada Convert might appreciate this somewhat. I started the vid where Eddie picks up my shirt. Ramones opened too.  Almost forgot about that.

How about you? Favorite shows, that is.

https://youtu.be/k7L1Mbarkt4?t=6775

That’s really cool!!!! And being younger, those things are even more amazing. I remember hanging around Rush backstage with a friend at an early 80’s show, and I was totally star struck. Funny, we snuck these two kids back there that were about 9 to 10 years old both wearing Rush shirts, and they both had their shirts signed by the band. So they went to school and I’ll bet no one believed them. 😂 

That was late 95 looks like. I was in Vegas at that point and we kept missing each other when he came to town. The last time I had seen him was a late 93 show at the Civic Theater in San Diego. When I was in Vegas I worked 6 pm to 3:30 am delivering fuel and went to school during the day. He would occasionally call my home number after midnight when I was working and leave me long drunken depressing messages about how unhappy we was, and parts wouldn’t make any sense at all. 

After Cobain killed himself, one night in mid-1994 on tour, he left me a long suicide message, and I freaked out because I didn’t even know what town he was in or the hotel. This was when most people didn’t have the internet and it was primitive anyway. So I just waited until morning expecting the big news on TV and it never came thank God. But I did get in touch with his manager to let him know to keep an eye on him. Funny, I saved all of my answering machine tapes, and I’m sure I still have a bunch of them!

At about the time of that show in AZ, I’d still get occasional calls from him late at night, but wasn’t able to talk to him. Too bad I missed that tour. But I was also slowly losing interest in PJ, as well. The next year in 96, the big Rolling Stone cover story came out and they questioned Eddie’s past as he had been portraying it to connect with down and out kids. There was some tough truth to it, but a lot of it was ridiculous, and that’s what inspired me to write the book and almost finish in 97.

kat.jpg

I think me, Joe, Retro and Convert should only talk about music from now on.  I like these versions of us better than the politics talking versions.

14 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I think me, Joe, Retro and Convert should only talk about music from now on.  I like these versions of us better than the politics talking versions.

“Joe, Retro, Convert, and I.” Jesus, get it together toons. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg