Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Boise Fans: Talk to me about Northwest Nazarene University

Guest #1Stunner

Would be thrilled (absolutely thrilled) if the WCC could get a foothold in the Boise market.

That leaves Northwest Nazarene University as the primary target.   The Nazy's are an intriguing option....

Here are the stats:

ENROLLMENT - 2,058 (any word on if they are expanding???----I think they'd need to be at least 8,000 to get in the WCC).

LOCATION - Nampa, Idaho  (Nampa is probably where the rich people in the treasure valley live)

MASCOT - the Nighthawks (goes with the Boise Hawks theme)

REPUTATION - Notable graduates include Lori Otter First Lady of the State of Idaho. Kent R. Hill, the former administrator for USAID's Bureau for Global Health and former president of the Eastern Nazarene College(1992-2001), Richard Hieb, NASA astronaut, author Donna Fletcher Crow, and Michael Lodahl and Thomas Jay Oord, noted Nazarene theologians. Oord is current faculty at his alma mater. A notable non-graduate alumna is Mildred Bangs Wynkoop, another noted Nazarene theologian. Notable former faculty members include Fred J. Shields, H. Orton Wiley, and Olive Winchester.

What is the vibe about the Nighthawks around Boise?   Is it talked about a lot?   Popular school?    Why did you choose not to attend Northwest Nazarene?   Not enough open spots?

Do you see Northwest Nazarene becoming a major player in Boise over the next 10 years?

Most of my wife's extended family went to NNU and I know quite a few others who have graduated.

Nazerene's historically are kind of similar culturally to Mormons, maybe even more extreme. They are abstinent of alchohol, gambling, and historically things like dancing, too.  So I think that limits their ability to grow - and they will continue to serve primarily Nazarene Church members, but unlike BYU - Nazerene population in the US is shrinking. So I don't see much growth potential.  

Also, Nampa is not where the rich people live.  Its median home value is $230k compared to Boise's $300k.  But the area is where a huge amount of population growth in the valley is happening.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Most of my wife's extended family went to NNU and I know quite a few others who have graduated.

Nazerene's historically are kind of similar culturally to Mormons, maybe even more extreme. They are abstinent of alchohol, gambling, and historically things like dancing, too.  So I think that limits their ability to grow - and they will continue to serve primarily Nazarene Church members, but unlike BYU - Nazerene population in the US is shrinking. So I don't see much growth potential.  

Also, Nampa is not where the rich people live.  Its median home value is $230k compared to Boise's $300k.  But the area is where a huge amount of population growth in the valley is happening.

Thanks for the insight.

will be interesting to see if NNU will transition into more of a private university (with Christian roots), than one strictly administered by the Nazarene faith.

With all the growth in Boise, I could see rapid growth of NNU.  But probably depends on if the school wants it or not.

I look at the rapid growth of Grand Canyon U, and wonder if NNU could have a similar growth curve.

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Thanks for the insight.

will be interesting to see if NNU will transition into more of a private university (with Christian roots), than one strictly administered by the Nazarene faith.

With all the growth in Boise, I could see rapid growth of NNU.  But probably depends on if the school wants it or not.

I look at the rapid growth of Grand Canyon U, and wonder if NNU could have a similar growth curve.

I agree, I think the opportunity is there.  But both NNU and CofI are in my opinion too expensive and not respected enough to warrant the price and I don't think either of them want the growth that GCU had. 

The growth is happening at Western Idaho College (the JC founded in 2007) where they already have 9000 plus students (19,000 if you include non-credit courses).  I think it is more likely that WIC starts offering some baccaleaurate degrees in the next decade or so, trying to follow what Boise State did in the 1960s and onward.  But that will depend on what the State BOE wants. BSU is still growing (5% last year) and is up to 25k students.  They may just keep growing and add some programs out in Canyon County. Or add them under the UI or ISU name.  

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I agree, I think the opportunity is there.  But both NNU and CofI are in my opinion too expensive and not respected enough to warrant the price and I don't think either of them want the growth that GCU had. 

The growth is happening at Western Idaho College (the JC founded in 2007) where they already have 9000 plus students (19,000 if you include non-credit courses).  I think it is more likely that WIC starts offering some baccaleaurate degrees in the next decade or so, trying to follow what Boise State did in the 1960s and onward.  But that will depend on what the State BOE wants. BSU is still growing (5% last year) and is up to 25k students.  They may just keep growing and add some programs out in Canyon County. Or add them under the UI or ISU name.  

Western Idaho College sounds like it will eventually be similar to Utah Valley University, in Utah.   UVU is not the biggest school in the State of Utah.

NNU would probably need to adopt an online program if it wanted to increase enrollment.   But they sound like they want to remain exclusive for Boise's elite.

None of the 8 Nazarene colleges in the US has more than 3,000 undergrads.  Then  there's this.

The eight liberal arts colleges have divided the country into "educational regions" and have formed a gentlemen's agreement to not actively recruit outside their educational region.

Growth is not on their agenda.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, RSF said:

None of the 8 Nazarene colleges in the US has more than 3,000 undergrads.  The  there's this.

The eight liberal arts colleges have divided the country into "educational regions" and have formed a gentlemen's agreement to not actively recruit outside their educational region.

Growth is not on their agenda.

That's too bad... 

They were the only option for the WCC to get into the Boise market (one of the fastest growing regions in the US).

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Would be thrilled (absolutely thrilled) if the WCC could get a foothold in the Boise market.

That leaves Northwest Nazarene University as the primary target.   The Nazy's are an intriguing option....

Here are the stats:

ENROLLMENT - 2,058 (any word on if they are expanding???----I think they'd need to be at least 8,000 to get in the WCC).

LOCATION - Nampa, Idaho  (Nampa is probably where the rich people in the treasure valley live)

REPUTATION - Notable graduates include Lori Otter First Lady of the State of Idaho. Kent R. Hill, the former administrator for USAID's Bureau for Global Health and former president of the Eastern Nazarene College(1992-2001), Richard Hieb, NASA astronaut, author Donna Fletcher Crow, and Michael Lodahl and Thomas Jay Oord, noted Nazarene theologians. Oord is current faculty at his alma mater. A notable non-graduate alumna is Mildred Bangs Wynkoop, another noted Nazarene theologian. Notable former faculty members include Fred J. Shields, H. Orton Wiley, and Olive Winchester.

What is the vibe about the Nighthawks around Boise?   Is it talked about a lot?   Popular school?    Why did you choose not to attend Northwest Nazarene?   Not enough open spots?

Do you see Northwest Nazarene becoming a major player in Boise over the next 10 years?

What's a "Nazarene"?

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

That's too bad... 

They were the only option for the WCC to get into the Boise market (one of the fastest growing regions in the US).

I’m sure there are a lot more western religious schools that would fit the WCC foot print better than NNU. It really doesn’t even garner much interest in the Boise area. 

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m sure there are a lot more western religious schools that would fit the WCC foot print better than NNU. It really doesn’t even garner much interest in the Boise area. 

Thanks for the insight.

11 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Do you think this is a funny joke!?

Guest #1Stunner
59 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Do you think this is a funny joke!?

Yes.  

It's been a joke between friends playing Church basketball for decades.    

What's the problem?

15 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Here are the stats:

A friend of mine and his family are hardcore Nazarenes, and their whole family either went to NNU or Point Loma College (which it now is Point Loma Nazarene University, PLNU). So I followed my best friend to PLNU and spent 2 years there out of HS. It’s a surfer beach school with a nice private surfing spot. Some guys went there just for the surfing and just put up with the religious stuff. Good surfers there.

PLNU was fairly strict. You had to attend chapel every day for about 45 minutes in the gym. It was more like a social thing similar to HS where you’re checking out the women that were there. A group of 8 of us were always in trouble picking up a bunch of girls and taking them down to Mexico where it’s 18 to drink. And we’d bring them back at nearly sun up all wasted. So we were called in quite a bit. 

But I heard about how crazy conservative NNU was back in the 80’s. They actually had sidewalks for boys and sidewalks for girls to use in between classes. You also weren’t allowed to dance. You know, God forbid a guy is checking out a girls ass. But that’s how it was. Of course the dorms weren’t coed and sure they still aren’t. I don’t know how NNU is now, but they were nuts back then. PLNU wasn’t too bad in terms of being conservative when I was there. I could’ve been kicked out of there easily many times, but they put up with me and my friends. PLNU was NAIA and even won the title when I was there. They’re NCAA D-II now, but I could see them going D-1AA soon. I had fun there because being rebellious and getting away with it was good times.  Those Nazarenes are a judgemental bunch, though. Nazarene Judgement and Guilt are a bit too much for my taste of being Protestant. 

kat.jpg

11 hours ago, renoskier said:

What's a "Nazarene"?

You can’t be serious. It’s one of the 7 or 8 biggest denominations that fall under being a Protestant Church, a break off from the Catholic Church. Other denominations are Lutheran, Baptist, Southern Baptist, Episcopalian, Pentecostal, Methodist, etc. 

kat.jpg