Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

NCAA about ready to hammer basketball programs that were investigated by FBI?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/at-least-six-college-basketball-programs-will-be-notified-of-major-ncaa-violations-by-this-summer/

Could be ugly for the Pac-12 as Arizona and USC were frequent names.  Oregon's AD was placed on NCAA probation for level two infractions that they self reported.

Take away a few schollies probably and maybe a post season ban for a year.  No big deal really.  Vacate some wins when everyone remembers who really won. 

USC should be absolutely hammered since they can't seem to not get caught cheating in football or basketball.  

It will be interesting to see if the new process changes anything though.  I hope it does but I'm not holding my breath.  Hopefully the panel that includes non NCAA people will be harsher.  

Then the schools have like 6 months to answer the allegations, then another few months of going back and forth and then appeals and all that mess. So probably this time next year will still be talking about penalties if any come down. 

9 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Take away a few schollies probably and maybe a post season ban for a year.  No big deal really.  Vacate some wins when everyone remembers who really won. 

USC should be absolutely hammered since they can't seem to not get caught cheating in football or basketball.  

It will be interesting to see if the new process changes anything though.  I hope it does but I'm not holding my breath.  Hopefully the panel that includes non NCAA people will be harsher.  

USC basketball and football got hammered for violations those two teams committed back in the mid 2000's but so much time has passed, they couldn't use the repeat violators rule on USC

8 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

USC basketball and football got hammered for violations those two teams committed back in the mid 2000's but so much time has passed, they couldn't use the repeat violators rule on USC

I feel like their past should be taken into consideration.  I know it is probably different people in charge now but if the NCAA ever wants to be taken seriously they need to really start to hammer folks, especially repeat offenders.  

with Sean Miller still employed at Arizona and the LSU coach (name escapes me) getting recently reinstated it shows that schools are okay with a certain level of cheating.  A level that I thought college sports was better than. 

Call me naive, but that's very disheartening.  Its taken a good chunk of the excitement I've had for college hoops.

Everyone always makes the running joke that the NCAA will get NAU or Long Beach or some regional school for sanctions instead of the major programs commuting the violations?

Are there any documented cases of something similar happening, or is it based on some specific situation?

There were a couple of big name schools in "trouble" when Boise State got hammered with LOIC, for sleeping on couches and happy meals.

down in a hole.jpg

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Everyone always makes the running joke that the NCAA will get NAU or Long Beach or some regional school for sanctions instead of the major programs commuting the violations?

Are there any documented cases of something similar happening, or is it based on some specific situation?

It seems it comes from a quote attributed to Tark basically saying just that but was Kentucky and Cleveland State.  Tark's Long Beach State teams were investigated and put on probation after Wooden bitch about them which was BS because Woodens UCLA teams were dirty also.  Tark felt the big programs like UCLA got a pass from the NCAA.  Which is most definitely true.  

1 hour ago, bigd said:

While not tied explicitly together, about the time North Carolina (UNC) had their academic issues, the University of Northern Colorado (UNC) was put on probation for academic issues while Carolina didn't really get hit.  

The NCAA set a precedent with North Carolina.  Lots of talk but the hammer falls on the likes of Coastal Carolina or some other small, less privileged school.  I don’t expect anything different with this.

1 hour ago, Spazdog said:

The NCAA set a precedent with North Carolina.  Lots of talk but the hammer falls on the likes of Coastal Carolina or some other small, less privileged school.  I don’t expect anything different with this.

The precedent was set well before North Carolina. Personally I think the one step that absolutely needs to happen is giving the investigators subpoena power. Otherwise if they ask to talk to someone they don't have to talk to them and there really is nothing NCAA can do about it. They can't compel people to talk to them or the investigators. 

Or maybe form an outside committee that does the investigations who have subpoena power and such. But I don't see either of those things happening.

4 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I feel like their past should be taken into consideration.  I know it is probably different people in charge now but if the NCAA ever wants to be taken seriously they need to really start to hammer folks, especially repeat offenders.  

With the NCAA own by laws on the repeat violator's rules, it has to take place within 5 years, outside of that and it can't be considered under the repeat offenders. So they would have to get that bylaw changed and that won't happen. 

4 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

with Sean Miller still employed at Arizona and the LSU coach (name escapes me) getting recently reinstated it shows that schools are okay with a certain level of cheating.  A level that I thought college sports was better than. 

Call me naive, but that's very disheartening.  Its taken a good chunk of the excitement I've had for college hoops.

Thing is though Wade has spoken to NCAA investigators about his involvement where Miller I believe has not.

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

With the NCAA own by laws on the repeat violator's rules, it has to take place within 5 years, outside of that and it can't be considered under the repeat offenders. So they would have to get that bylaw changed and that won't happen. 

It won't but five years really isn't a long time.  

3 hours ago, bigd said:

Hawaii got hammered for the North Carolina St infractions a few years ago.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Boise State is following this closely as UA transfer Akot is requesting immediate eligibility based on potential UA NCAA violations. As noted above that may take awhile before any penalties are actually handed down. Akot is a very good athlete and player and would have a big impact on the upcoming season for Boise State.