Broncomare

Who Are Your Top 10 Guitarists

Again. I'm certain you're all extremely familiar with Slash's work. (If not, please get on Spotify, Pandora, XM etc and get started!) I selected one of his tamer pieces to show his magnificent range. Also a bit of a homage to Scott Weiland (RockIn'Paradise).

It's summer time. If you don't listen to one Peter Frampton song between June and September, was it really summer for you???

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Dave Navarro. It's Jane's Addiction...duh.

Brad Delson. His guitar is often hidden with LP's dramatic production, but man they always provide the backbone. Also, another homage to a great musician who left the world too soon. Chester Bennington (RockIn'Paradise).

Noel Galagher (Oasis)

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. I prefer his work with ATDi. I could never get into Mars Volta. It was way too prog rock for me.

John Pizzarelli Jr. is Jazz guitarist I really enjoy. Here's him covering a Neil Young classic. Jazz guitar is a great reminder that guitars don't need to always be amplified and "charged".

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

It's summer time. If you don't listen to one Peter Frampton song between June and September, was it really summer for you???

I was never a huge fan but three years ago I saw Frampton open for Steve Miller at the Pacific Amphitheater at the OC Fair. Toward the middle of Miller's set Frampton joined him on stage and they did a 4-song medley which explained the evolution of guitar rock beginning with Delta blues that went on for about 20 minutes. It was unique, totally unexpected, they shared lead duties back and forth and the crowd just went nuts. A highlight of both their sets was the telling of stories, in Frampton's case how he got back the Les Paul he played on Frampton Comes Alive after it fell out of the cargo port of his plane on takeoff from an airport in South America and some asswipe then stole it and in Miller's case, how he came across the electric sitar he plays on Wild Mountain Honey.

One band that would have been great to see live was Humble Pie with Frampton and the fabulous Steve Marriott. As you may know, Marriott died rescuing his dog when his house caught on fire.:(

• Like 2

1. The Edge

2. James Young

3. Brian May

4. Alex Lifeson

5. David Gilmour

6. EVH

7. Joe Perry

8. Randy Rhoads

9. Angus Young

10. Jake E. Lee

There’s more and I reserve the right to change my list. 

@Nevada Convert do you think Jake E. Lee is better than Zakk Wylde? 

25 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

@Nevada Convert do you think Jake E. Lee is better than Zakk Wylde? 

I like Jake’s playing style much, much better, and I absolutely hate those annoying ‘pinch harmonics’ Zakk always does all over his songs if you know what I’m talking about. 

• Like 1

I absolutely loved James Young’s guitar tone and playing style on the early albums. Just awesome, huge power chords that are actually pretty clean like Angus Young has always done in AC/DC, and solo’s per this eclectic tune as an example (Tommy Shaw played great, as well):

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Excuse me , but Cliff Burton of Metallica is the best bass guitarist ever 

You're objectively wrong, but okay.

As much as I like good guy James Young, he and his band were never innovative. In fact, Styx was pretty much a wimpy pop band with the excreble songwriting of Dennis DeYoung until Tommy Shaw came along with a whole bunch of new material and a guitar playing ability that allowed them to emulate Lynyrd Skynyrd in having a dueling lead guitar setup.

Castle Walls IS a great tune, however, which somehow never received the acclaim it deserved.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

For sure a bass guitar pioneer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, renoskier said:

I love the Stones, easily my all time favorites, but I don't think Kieth Richards is even the best guitarist to ever play in the band. IMO, that's Mick Taylor.

This to the max.

Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Mick Taylor

Jimmy Page

David Gilmour

Billy Zoom (X)

Johnny Marrs

Pete Townshend

Billy Gibbons

Robbie Krieger

My favorite bassist is Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

5 hours ago, Orange said:

You're objectively wrong, but okay.

Yes, because I think this guy is in the running:

I didn't check to see if someone added Buddy Guy, but he's one of the best in my opinion.  He can make that guitar sing.

• Like 1