Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Broncomare

Who Are Your Top 10 Guitarists

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

The one thing with the Stones' music is that it's not overly complicated...pretty simple actually...but it's all in their timing. They've got a lot of good shit as a result of it. 

This song will change your life:

24 minutes ago, Mano said:

Perhaps my favorite song for showing off guitar, performed by some of the masters:

(Little Wing videos)

that's always been one of my favorite tracks. Great selection of videos/covers too. 

Thankfully nobody has listed the most overrated guitarist ever, Ritchie Blackmore. Fast? Yes. Fluid? No.

Off the top of my head are these UNDERrated guys: Alvin Lee (Ten Years After - as fast as Blackmore but FLUID), Jon Squire (Stone Roses - nobody used feedback more effectively), Derek Trucks (great blues guitarist but not just a thrasher like Kenny Wayne Shepard), Pat Simmons (for his amazing figure picking), Robbie Krieger (originally trained in flamenco and it showed) and Pete Townsend (first guy to go fully balls to the wall during concert solos).

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Thankfully nobody has listed the most overrated guitarist ever, Ritchie Blackmore. Fast? Yes. Fluid? No.

Off the top of my head are these UNDERrated guys: Alvin Lee (Ten Years After - as fast as Blackmore but FLUID), Jon Squire (Stone Roses - nobody used feedback more effectively), Derek Trucks (great blues guitarist but not just a thrasher like Kenny Wayne Shepard), Pat Simmons (for his amazing figure picking), Robbie Krieger (originally trained in flamenco and it showed) and Pete Townsend (first guy to go fully balls to the wall during concert solos).

Alvin Lee was a madman. And Robby Krieger was a great guitar player but overshadowed greatly by both Morrison in the band (maybe the greatest rock personality of all time, and arguably the original punk rocker), and to a lesser degree even the great Ray Manzarek. 

I think also as far as underrated goes, Tom Verlaine from Television has to figure in there somewhere. God they were good. 

I'm also really into the guitarists from Kraftwerk, Atari Teenage Riot and Aphex Twin. Study their fretwork, and you'd understand. It took me years to figure out how guys like them could get the tone that they could get with the gear they used. Amazing.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

15 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Good list. There are so many underrated guitarists.

14 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Alvin Lee was a madman. And Robby Krieger was a great guitar player but overshadowed greatly by both Morrison in the band (maybe the greatest rock personality of all time, and arguably the original punk rocker), and to a lesser degree even the great Ray Manzarek. 

I think also as far as underrated goes, Tom Verlaine from Television has to figure in there somewhere. God they were good. 

IIRC. Television was a NY band which preceded the Ramones at CBGBs in the mid-70s and I had no knowledge of what was going on there at that time.

Manzarek was indeed great. I saw the Doors twice and they only had a bass guitarist sit in the last time - circa 2010 - because Ray had gotten pretty old by then. But the first time was in the late nineties and he still had the ability to play a lead part with his right hand while simultaneously playing the bass part with his left hand. I could practice that forever and never be able to do it. Many hated Morrison but you're correct that he was as innovative as a front man as Townsend was as a lead guitarist. In many ways the '65-'75 period was the pinnacle of rock. As the Brit born in '52 who cuts my hair tells me, to be 13-23 and a rock fan in London during that time was just amazing.

Boom goes the dynamite.

25 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

18 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

One of my all-time favorite tracks.

Kinda out of place here because he's not really a "rock" guitarist but, as I'm partial to acoustic guitar, he's one of my favorites, Leo Kottke.

This is from a show I saw (not my video) at the Nugget in 2008:

Top o my head

Jimi

Tom Morello

Frusciante

Page

Les Paul

Chet Atkins

Eddie VH

Honorable Mention SRV - just a little too much Jimi in him to give him full credit

and Clapton is boring and has no personal sound or style. Come get it.

Don't give a shit about Eric Johnsons and Steve Vais and all those dudes. Terrible unlistenable music.

57 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Kinda out of place here because he's not really a "rock" guitarist but, as I'm partial to acoustic guitar, he's one of my favorites, Leo Kottke.

This is from a show I saw (not my video) at the Nugget in 2008:

Wow! That's a name I haven't heard in years. The only thing I know about Kottke is that he opened for an artist I saw in the late seventies whose identity doesn't occur to me just now and Kottke was indeed great. Finger picking is inexplicably almost a dead art these days and I always love me some slide guitar.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Wow! That's a name I haven't heard in years. The only thing I know about Kottke is that he opened for an artist I saw in the late seventies whose identity doesn't occur to me just now and Kottke was indeed great. Finger picking is inexplicably almost a dead art these days and I always love me some slide guitar.

That's why Mark Knopfler is one of my faves. Many folks might not realize that he always finger picks, acoustic or electric. This is an awesome video of him explaining/showing off his technique:

James "Munky" Shaffer (kORN) shreds it pretty damn well. One of the best from 90s & aughts.

I like this thread. Checking out all the guitar heroes. 

I am posting a sample from those on my list. 

Johnny Marr 

Daniel Kessler. 

He typically applies punk/postpunk chord arrangements. I love the surfabilly arrangement on this song. 

9 hours ago, Orange said:

Kind of off-topic, but I'd say Flea is the best bass guitarist ever.

Or are we only allowed to list guys born in the mid-50s or earlier?  lol

Excuse me , but Cliff Burton of Metallica is the best bass guitarist ever 

I'm certain you're all well to very well familiar with Santana, but still. His jams are always great to listen to.