Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Poll: If the election were held today

2020 Election  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for right now?

• Democratic Nominee
    • Trump
    • 3rd Party
    • Not going to vote

9 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

They did not and requesting asylum isn’t remotely equivalent to committing a felony.   I’m really disappointed you are defending this shit. 

Explain to me what difference it makes to the kiddos? And these are kiddos of US citizens?  Are you using children of illegal immigrants as political pawns? Shameful.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Explain to me what difference it makes to the kiddos? And these are kiddos of US citizens?  Are you using children of illegal immigrants as political pawns? Shameful.

Just stop...   rarely are those kids whose parents commit felonies losing both parents nor are they removed from familiar surroundings or their support group.  This line of argument is beneath you as a human.   If not, then I have severely misjudged the kind of person you are.   

8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

If you really cared about the debt you would know the problem doesn’t lie in domestic programs which are a sliver of government spending.   The problem is in entitlements (primarily Medicare and Social Security) and defense.   Democratic Presidents have slowed defense spending while Republican Presidents have largely accelerated defense spending while cutting taxes.   No one that isn’t a complete hypocrite can support the Republicans if they truly care about the budget deficit.

Medicare for all and free college would be new entitlements, though. The Green New Deal is just a massive amount of money where we have no money.

I'd be for cutting funding to most branches of the military, but increasing spending on the Navy to protect our shipping lanes from pirates and bad actors. I'd be in favor of closing a lot of our overseas bases, eventually all of them.

I'm for some infrastructure spending as well.

The budgets, though, are not balanced. The debt keeps climbing, and I fear that interest soon will be a large portion of our entire federal budget.

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Just stop...   rarely are those kids whose parents commit felonies losing both parents nor are they removed from familiar surroundings or their support group.  This line of argument is beneath you as a human.   If not, then I have severely misjudged the kind of person you are.   

Over 20,000 were in Obama's last year. The fact that you are not even aware of that tells me all you're concerned with is scoring political points. If you have historically been concerned about those 20,000 children, annually, I could believe your sincerity about empathy for the children at our Southern border.

Just now, CV147 said:

Medicare for all and free college would be new entitlements, though. The Green New Deal is just a massive amount of money where we have no money.

I'd be for cutting funding to most branches of the military, but increasing spending on the Navy to protect our shipping lanes from pirates and bad actors. I'd be in favor of closing a lot of our overseas bases, eventually all of them.

The budgets, though, are not balanced. The debt keeps climbing, and I fear that interest soon will be a large portion of our entire federal budget.

Medicare for all may or may not cost money defending on the funding mechanism.  Given the US spends 1.8 times per capita than any other country you could conceivably raise taxes and save people money.    

By the way, I did a college paper on this topic in the 80’s so I have been focused on it possibly longer than you have been alive.   

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Over 20,000 were in Obama's last year. The fact that you are not even aware of that tells me all you're concerned with is scoring political points. If you have historically been concerned about those 20,000 children, annually, I could believe your sincerity about empathy for the children at our Southern border.

Post the data.....   I don’t believe Obama removed intentionally and as a policy immigrant children from all parents.  If he did I will apologize.  If he didn’t you admit you are being a schmuck.

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Post the data.....   I don’t believe Obama removed intentionally and as a policy immigrant children from all parents.  If he did I will apologize.  If he didn’t you admit you are being a schmuck.

Are you even following this thread? In excess of 20,000 children were removed  from US citizens and placed in the courts and our foster care system annually and not a peep from you. You don't care about the kids.

Just now, pokebball said:

Are you even following this thread? In excess of 20,000 children were removed  from US citizens and placed in the courts and our foster care system annually and not a peep from you. You don't care about the kids.

Again stop.   People committing felonies are not the same as people seeking asylum.  

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Sorry, I just assumed you were concerned about the children.  My mistake.

We’re done discussing this....  apparently you think making inane points excuses such behavior or it doesn’t matter.   

18 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

We’re done discussing this....  apparently you think making inane points excuses such behavior or it doesn’t matter.   

The issue is you are trying to score political points and the kids don’t mean shit to you, or you wouldn’t dismiss the 20,000 taken from American families. 

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

I'm not excusing anything I'm simply pointing out hypocrisy when I see it.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The issue is you are trying to score political points and the kids don’t mean shit to you, or you wouldn’t dismiss the 20,000 taken from American families. 

No the issue is having ethics and morality.  Something sadly lacking from too many on this board.  

And get the F out of here with the spurious and insulting argument regarding prison.  As if removing a child from parents making meth in their home is in anyway analogous to removing a child from parents seeking asylum.   I expect such arguments from you but I didn’t expect them Poke.   I only wish his wife and kids could see them.   I’m sure they would be real proud of him. 

4 hours ago, CV147 said:

Sooner than you think...  debt interest is forecasted to be the #1 line item on the federal budget by 2026 IIRC according to the latest CBO projection and annual interest payments will hit almost $1T by 2029.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

No the issue is having ethics and morality.  Something sadly lacking from too many on this board.  

And get the F out of here with the spurious and insulting argument regarding prison.  As if removing a child from parents making meth in their home is in anyway analogous to removing a child from parents seeking asylum.   I expect such arguments from you but I didn’t expect them Poke.   I only wish his wife and kids could see them.   I’m sure they would be real proud of him. 

You are so transparent. Your outrage and constant whining over anything Trump colors everything you post on this board. 

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

If you really cared about the debt you would know the problem doesn’t lie in domestic programs which are a sliver of government spending.   The problem is in entitlements (primarily Medicare and Social Security) and defense.   Democratic Presidents have slowed defense spending while Republican Presidents have largely accelerated defense spending while cutting taxes.   No one that isn’t a complete hypocrite can support the Republicans if they truly care about the budget deficit.

Some inconvenient facts for you...  60% of the federal budget goes towards mandatory spending (SS, Medicare, Medicaid).   10% goes to debt interest and the remaining 30% to discretionary spending of which defense consumes slightly more than half (so ~15% of the total budget).  So while you predictably sneak defense in there with entitlement spending the latter is almost 4x’s in size.  It’s clear where the biggest opportunity lies for getting the deficit/debt under control.

All need drastic cuts.

v0icAvfW.jpg

3 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Some inconvenient facts for you...  60% of the federal budget goes towards mandatory spending (SS, Medicare, Medicaid).   10% goes to debt interest and the remaining 30% to discretionary spending of which defense consumes slightly more than half (so ~15% of the total budget).  So while you sneak defense in there with entitlement spending the latter is almost 4x’s in size.  It’s clear where the biggest opportunity lies for getting the deficit/debt under control.

All need drastic cuts.

Do we disagree?   I said entitlements were the biggest issue and defense which consumes half of all discretionary spending.