Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BYU'S NEW CONTRACT WITH ESPN ALMOST READY

For those interested in BYU it appears they will sign with ESPN again and the agreement/contract may be completed by June 18th. Did I beat Stunner with this news, please tell me I did.

BYU, ESPN closing in on a new deal

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougar...-new-deal/

The Salt Lake Tribune has learned that discussions have intensified the past few weeks, perhaps so BYU can make a news splash on June 18 when it holds its media day — earlier than any program in the country, as usual — to kick off the 2019 football season.

This year’s theme will be “150 Years of College Football: BYU’s Impact on the Game,” and will play up the fact that ESPN’s first live regular-season broadcast was the BYU-at-Pittsburgh game on Sept. 1, 1984, the season that ended with BYU winning the national championship.

Contacted late last week, ESPN confirmed that it is extremely interested in continuing the partnership.

“ESPN has a great relationship with BYU and its athletics department,” said Kurt Dargis, ESPN senior director of programming and acquisitions. “We expect that affiliation to continue beyond this [football] season and are engaged in those discussions.”

Responding to a Tribune request on how those negotiations are coming along, BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe said there are no foreseeable snags or complications that could derail the deal.

“We are having a good dialogue with ESPN about a new regular-season contract and a bowl game agreement,” Holmoe said via email. “Those contract discussions are currently ongoing. We are going to be with ESPN. It is just a matter of working through some details of the new deal.”

**********************************************************************************************************************************
My main question is how much will BYU get for their football contract. I would guess somewhere between 4 and 5 million dollars per year since it will cover only football. They will get some money from the ESPN basketball contract with the religious conference whose name I have forgotten already. That could bring them close to 6 million.

Guest #1Stunner

It's been speculated that BYU could announce a new TV contract during media day (June 18).

The linked article is just Jay Drew speculating about that fact.   No real news.

But yes, ESPN and BYU is a sure thing.

Guest #1Stunner

Would love to see ESPN announce a few neutral site BYU football games, as well.

Top of the list are Las Vegas, Tijuana, and Fort Collins.

8 hours ago, 1066 said:

For those interested in BYU it appears they will sign with ESPN again and the agreement/contract may be completed by June 18th. Did I beat Stunner with this news, please tell me I did.

Read that article the other day but didn't worry about positing it here since, as Stunner said, it didn't really have any news.  It does confirm that BYU will be re-upping with ESPN, as we expected.  Would be nice to see all the terms of whatever contract gets signed but that's unlikely to happen since BYU is a private school and is not required to comply with the FOIA.

20 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

It was speculated that BYU could announce their ESPN TV contract tomorrow at media day.

Who knows... these media days are typically uneventful.

https://www.byutv.org/player/3c1a6f63-7bfa-4f69-943c-2271b10cef11/football-media-day-state-of-the-program

They never release the actual financial details though do they?  So it doesn't really matter.  

Guest #1Stunner
45 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

They never release the actual financial details though do they?  So it doesn't really matter.  

They do release some details.   Like how many games are televised, on what networks.   Length of the deal.   Bowl ties.

The last time they did the contract, there was speculation about how much was paid out---but you are right, the exact payment terms aren't released.

On a side note... anyone else watching the BYU vs Utah football game from 2012? I’ve got Sling Orange, and I get  4 stadium channels, showing tons of Pac12 games, from football, to basketball and baseball.

Wish we could see MWC games in here. Would love to be able to watch some of our games.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I find it ironic that BYU, being an anti-gay institution, hires a guy as AD whose last name rhymes with “homo.”

I hear he didn't even show up for media day lol

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I hear he didn't even show up for media day lol

It was announced that Tom was at the ESPN offices.  Since the deal is being signed, he had to be excused.