Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

2019 E3

Anyone keeping up this year?  I saw an E3 thread the last few years and didn't see one for this year.  I'll give five highlights here:

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake is PS4 Timed Exclusive...I got a PS4 Pro earlier this year and that game looks sick.  March 3, 2020 release date.

2. Doom Eternal gets release date. November 22 this year.

3. Flight Simulator for the Xbox...seriously check out the trailer.  2020 release date.

4. Cyberpunk 2077 gets release date.  April 16, 2020.

5. The Avengers game unveiled.

Square Enix had the strongest E3 they have had in a long time if not ever.  They are going to really kill it this year and next year.

I'm really excited about the FFVII remake... even though this is just the first installment and will only go through Midgar. I'm interested in seeing how they handle that and expand Midgar to turn it into it's own game while still being a part of a much larger story. I guess I'll be replacing my PS4 with a PS4 Pro before it gets released. The FFVIII remastered edition also looks pretty damn cool.

8 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Anyone keeping up this year?  I saw an E3 thread the last few years and didn't see one for this year.  I'll give five highlights here:

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake is PS4 Timed Exclusive...I got a PS4 Pro earlier this year and that game looks sick.  March 3, 2020 release date.

2. Doom Eternal gets release date. November 22 this year.

3. Flight Simulator for the Xbox...seriously check out the trailer.  2020 release date.

4. Cyberpunk 2077 gets release date.  April 16, 2020.

5. The Avengers game unveiled.

Square Enix had the strongest E3 they have had in a long time if not ever.  They are going to really kill it this year and next year.

Most excited about Cyberpunk 2077. CD Projekt Red doesn't make bad games.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

I'm really excited about the FFVII remake... even though this is just the first installment and will only go through Midgar. I'm interested in seeing how they handle that and expand Midgar to turn it into it's own game while still being a part of a much larger story. I guess I'll be replacing my PS4 with a PS4 Pro before it gets released. The FFVIII remastered edition also looks pretty damn cool.

PS4 Pro is worth it.  I have the PS4 Pro and one of the differences between the base PS4 and PS4 Pro is the type of SATA interface.  PS4 has SATA 2 while PS4 Pro has SATA 3 and that means better compatibility with SSDs for the PS4 Pro than the base PS4.  That is if you plan to have long term support for the PS4 games and PSVR even when the PS5 is out.  Support for the PS4 and Xbox One generation isn't going to magically disappear once the new consoles come out.

Otherwise, the PS5 is going to be a big jump in graphics with ray tracing technology and a jump from the usual 60 frames per second to 120 frames per second in 4K.  Both Sony and Microsoft are claiming their consoles are capable of 8K graphics.  I managed to stay away from the PS4 & Xbox One this generation until I got the PS4 Pro earlier this year since I had a gaming PC.

Cyberpunk looks amazing, I have been excited for it for a while.

Watch Dogs Legion looks very interesting. It is very ambitious and if they pull it off it could be an amazing game. Every NPC is recruitable and playable. There is no main character. You recruit a bunch of people to play as as they each have a different backstory and attributes and when they die they are dead and the game keeps going.

If you are on Xbox, they are currently offering Ultimate Game Pass(Game Pass and Live Gold combined) for $1 for a month. Here's the thing though. It gives you Ultimate game pass for the remainder of your Live subscription. I ended up getting Ultimate game pass till January for $1. A friend of mine purchased a couple years worth of Live before getting the deal so he go Game PAss till March 2022 for an extra dollar.

2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

PS4 Pro is worth it.  I have the PS4 Pro and one of the differences between the base PS4 and PS4 Pro is the type of SATA interface.  PS4 has SATA 2 while PS4 Pro has SATA 3 and that means better compatibility with SSDs for the PS4 Pro than the base PS4.  That is if you plan to have long term support for the PS4 games and PSVR even when the PS5 is out.  Support for the PS4 and Xbox One generation isn't going to magically disappear once the new consoles come out.

Otherwise, the PS5 is going to be a big jump in graphics with ray tracing technology and a jump from the usual 60 frames per second to 120 frames per second in 4K.  Both Sony and Microsoft are claiming their consoles are capable of 8K graphics.  I managed to stay away from the PS4 & Xbox One this generation until I got the PS4 Pro earlier this year since I had a gaming PC.

Yeah, I do most of my gaming on my computer these days, but I keep a PS4 for sports games (I have to get The Show every year) and platform specific ones. If the PS4 Pro is going to allow me to play the FFVII remake more smoothly, then I'll be all over that. Plus then I can put my existing PS4 upstairs for the kids to replace the XBox 360 they have up there... which means I can take it back to play NCAA Football 14 again.

I built a gaming PC after the PS4/XB1 came out since they were getting killed by the i3-4130 & GTX 750 Ti combo at first and you could build an equivalent gaming PC for the cost of a 360 at the time.  I didn't get the PS4 Pro until just this year and given the announced specs of the PS5 plus Xbox & PC becoming one and the same, I'm really going after a PS5 much sooner this coming gen.  I have a Nintendo Switch and now I'm entering into the hate cycle of my love-hate relationship with Nintendo that I have every generation.  I loved Link's Awakening on the GameBoy when it first came out and I'm going to get the Switch version regardless where I'm at in that cycle.  The remake graphics is worth $40 of the $60 cost just like Link Across Worlds for the 3DS and you would be able to create your own dungeon...a little bit like Super Mario Maker in some ways.

15 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

This is the most important thing in 2020 - don't let the bumper stickers tell you otherwise.

Haha! I will say that I'm really looking forward to that game, it should be awesome.

44 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Haha! I will say that I'm really looking forward to that game, it should be awesome.

I hope so too. However, the article from rock paper shotgun wasn't super positive. Still a lot of time left though and it the demo was just a small part of the total game.

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Did you watch that extended gameplay trailer? Just jaw dropping. I never played the actual pen & paper Cyberpunk 2020, but I used to be an avid Shadowrun player, and I'm a huge fan of the William Gibson novels. Until I saw the trailer, I didn't high hopes CP 2077 would rival, much less be better than Deus Ex - Human Revolution, but maaaaaaan!