Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

China’s Huge Advantage In a Naval Battle With the US.

If our ships come within 540 km of there’s, we can get hit. We have to get within 240 km to hit them. The US has more fire power, but it doesn’t do us any good if we’re out of our range. This is obviously unacceptable, and luckily with the Trump increase in defense spending, big problems such as this are being fixed. This is the kind of thing that a Dem prez would, most likely, blow off and the press would ignore the problem. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-warship-range-could-be-decisive-in-battle-against-us-navy-2019-4

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

If our ships come within 540 km of there’s, we can get hit. We have to get within 240 km to hit them. The US has more fire power, but it doesn’t do us any good if we’re out of our range. This is obviously unacceptable, and luckily with the Trump increase in defense spending, big problems such as this are being fixed. This is the kind of thing that a Dem prez would, most likely, blow off and the press would ignore the problem. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-warship-range-could-be-decisive-in-battle-against-us-navy-2019-4

A missile having a 500 km range and having the sensors to Target a moving ship from that distance are two different things.

Converts basic premise is correct, we stopped developing anti ship missiles because there was no other navy standing after the Cold War.  China is building ships faster than us now, and their equipment no longer sucks.  Whether the PLAN has the training, leadership, and tactics for a peer conflict is an open question.  They definitely do the gray zone stuff better than we do.

There’s not a navy in the world that could take on our Navy. The combined forces of the Russian and Chinese navies couldn’t do significant damage to our Navy unless they wanted to drop nukes everywhere. 

I’m not concerned about the weapons distance difference.  China is developing missiles, we’re developing lasers and railguns.  

China’s carrier killer relies on a long kill chain that’s unreliable.  If China decided to try and sink a carrier they would be opening a huge can of worms.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

53 minutes ago, mugtang said:

There’s not a navy in the world that could take on our Navy. The combined forces of the Russian and Chinese navies couldn’t do significant damage to our Navy unless they wanted to drop nukes everywhere. 

I’m not concerned about the weapons distance difference.  China is developing missiles, we’re developing lasers and railguns.  

China’s carrier killer relies on a long kill chain that’s unreliable.  If China decided to try and sink a carrier they would be opening a huge can of worms.  

I agree. Nobody can take our Navy on. 

And this would have been a wild development...50 years ago. Now? Like you say, we're sort of beyond the whole carrier warfare thing. 

10 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

And this would have been a wild development...50 years ago. Now? Like you say, we're sort of beyond the whole carrier warfare thing. 

I don’t know if we’re beyond carrier warfare per se.   I still believe carriers provide us with significant power projection.  It would take a lot of effort to sink one of our carriers unless you use a nuke.  Like I mentioned, China’s carrier killer relies on a very long kill chain that could easily be broken.  What good is a carrier killer if a F-35 from that carrier drops a bomb on one part of the kill chain making it completely useless. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If China starts lobbing missiles at our ships there will be a lot more to worry about than who has an advantage for ships fighting at sea. 

China only has 300 nuclear weapons.  If we got into a war with China it would largely be conventional as long as we didn’t invade China (which would be a terrible strategy anyway) or seek regime change.  So it would really be a naval war and we would wipe the floor (seas?) with them. 

4 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

So our ICBM's can only hit from 240 miles?

Our planes can only fly 240 miles?

Our submarines can't sneak up under water?

I think you are still trying to fight WWII.

Evidence Piece #1,387 that blewmules knows nothing about the military and is a big wussy pacifist. At least the Amish aren’t cowards!! 😂😂😂😂

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

It's a lot more complicated than that bud.

54 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Things have changed. We used to be able to assume we were kicking everyone’s ass at everything. Well thanks to the Chinese spy program and world class cheating and stealing, all that and money has resulted in some pretty nifty new systems. One in particular is they have the ability to destroy our most crucial  satellites, you know the ones we need to make our GPS system work. They’re no joke anymore. 

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Things have changed. We used to be able to assume we were kicking everyone’s ass at everything. Well thanks to the Chinese spy program and world class cheating and stealing, all that and money has resulted in some pretty nifty new systems. One in particular is they have the ability to destroy our most crucial  satellites, you know the ones they need to make their GPS system work. They’re no joke anymore. 

A lot of people our age seem to have this belief that American dominance is a birthright.

They will say things like Mug was saying.  And act as if war is fought by people lining up their armies and navies and air forces, and fighting it out in the open.  That's not how it works.

Look at the dominance of the Royal and US Navies on paper in the North Atlantic, and look how desperate that battle was for years against the Nazis.    

Giant carriers and expensive manned aviation systems are expensive relics of the past and the USA would take massive casualties in any real war with a modern navy.  Our offensive capabilities should all be launched and controlled from nuclear submarines.  We should have cheap small kamikaze air superiority drones flying in to attack opposing air forces that can move at G-Forces that would kill a human pilot.  You should be able to launch and recover thousands of them from a sub.  

Posted Image

Trade wars lead to....

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 hours ago, easybronc said:

China has a Navy?  Wow, good thing we have F14s and stuff.

I hope Pearl Harbor is ready next time.

We don't have any F14's

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 hours ago, mugtang said:

Ship mounted railguns and lasers are only good from horizon to horizon.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke