Jump to content
Nevada Convert

China’s Huge Advantage In a Naval Battle With the US.

Recommended Posts

If our ships come within 540 km of there’s, we can get hit. We have to get within 240 km to hit them. The US has more fire power, but it doesn’t do us any good if we’re out of our range. This is obviously unacceptable, and luckily with the Trump increase in defense spending, big problems such as this are being fixed. This is the kind of thing that a Dem prez would, most likely, blow off and the press would ignore the problem. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-warship-range-could-be-decisive-in-battle-against-us-navy-2019-4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So our ICBM's can only hit from 240 miles?

Our planes can only fly 240 miles?

Our submarines can't sneak up under water?

 

I think you are still trying to fight WWII.

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

China has a Navy?  Wow, good thing we have F14s and stuff.

I hope Pearl Harbor is ready next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

If our ships come within 540 km of there’s, we can get hit. We have to get within 240 km to hit them. The US has more fire power, but it doesn’t do us any good if we’re out of our range. This is obviously unacceptable, and luckily with the Trump increase in defense spending, big problems such as this are being fixed. This is the kind of thing that a Dem prez would, most likely, blow off and the press would ignore the problem. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-warship-range-could-be-decisive-in-battle-against-us-navy-2019-4

A missile having a 500 km range and having the sensors to Target a moving ship from that distance are two different things.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good thing that we have all of those invisible jets then, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US nuclear capable subs are (or can be) right at the mouth of the Pearl or Yangtze Rivers ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Converts basic premise is correct, we stopped developing anti ship missiles because there was no other navy standing after the Cold War.  China is building ships faster than us now, and their equipment no longer sucks.  Whether the PLAN has the training, leadership, and tactics for a peer conflict is an open question.  They definitely do the gray zone stuff better than we do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s not a navy in the world that could take on our Navy. The combined forces of the Russian and Chinese navies couldn’t do significant damage to our Navy unless they wanted to drop nukes everywhere. 

I’m not concerned about the weapons distance difference.  China is developing missiles, we’re developing lasers and railguns.  

China’s carrier killer relies on a long kill chain that’s unreliable.  If China decided to try and sink a carrier they would be opening a huge can of worms.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mugtang said:

There’s not a navy in the world that could take on our Navy. The combined forces of the Russian and Chinese navies couldn’t do significant damage to our Navy unless they wanted to drop nukes everywhere. 

I’m not concerned about the weapons distance difference.  China is developing missiles, we’re developing lasers and railguns.  

China’s carrier killer relies on a long kill chain that’s unreliable.  If China decided to try and sink a carrier they would be opening a huge can of worms.  

I agree. Nobody can take our Navy on. 

And this would have been a wild development...50 years ago. Now? Like you say, we're sort of beyond the whole carrier warfare thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If China starts lobbing missiles at our ships there will be a lot more to worry about than who has an advantage for ships fighting at sea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I agree. Nobody can take our Navy on. 

And this would have been a wild development...50 years ago. Now? Like you say, we're sort of beyond the whole carrier warfare thing. 

I don’t know if we’re beyond carrier warfare per se.   I still believe carriers provide us with significant power projection.  It would take a lot of effort to sink one of our carriers unless you use a nuke.  Like I mentioned, China’s carrier killer relies on a very long kill chain that could easily be broken.  What good is a carrier killer if a F-35 from that carrier drops a bomb on one part of the kill chain making it completely useless. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If China starts lobbing missiles at our ships there will be a lot more to worry about than who has an advantage for ships fighting at sea. 

China only has 300 nuclear weapons.  If we got into a war with China it would largely be conventional as long as we didn’t invade China (which would be a terrible strategy anyway) or seek regime change.  So it would really be a naval war and we would wipe the floor (seas?) with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

So our ICBM's can only hit from 240 miles?

Our planes can only fly 240 miles?

Our submarines can't sneak up under water?

 

I think you are still trying to fight WWII.

Evidence Piece #1,387 that blewmules knows nothing about the military and is a big wussy pacifist. At least the Amish aren’t cowards!! 😂😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mugtang said:

There’s not a navy in the world that could take on our Navy. The combined forces of the Russian and Chinese navies couldn’t do significant damage to our Navy unless they wanted to drop nukes everywhere. 

I’m not concerned about the weapons distance difference.  China is developing missiles, we’re developing lasers and railguns.  

China’s carrier killer relies on a long kill chain that’s unreliable.  If China decided to try and sink a carrier they would be opening a huge can of worms.  

It's a lot more complicated than that bud.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I agree. Nobody can take our Navy on. 

And this would have been a wild development...50 years ago. Now? Like you say, we're sort of beyond the whole carrier warfare thing. 

Things have changed. We used to be able to assume we were kicking everyone’s ass at everything. Well thanks to the Chinese spy program and world class cheating and stealing, all that and money has resulted in some pretty nifty new systems. One in particular is they have the ability to destroy our most crucial  satellites, you know the ones we need to make our GPS system work. They’re no joke anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Things have changed. We used to be able to assume we were kicking everyone’s ass at everything. Well thanks to the Chinese spy program and world class cheating and stealing, all that and money has resulted in some pretty nifty new systems. One in particular is they have the ability to destroy our most crucial  satellites, you know the ones they need to make their GPS system work. They’re no joke anymore. 

A lot of people our age seem to have this belief that American dominance is a birthright.

They will say things like Mug was saying.  And act as if war is fought by people lining up their armies and navies and air forces, and fighting it out in the open.  That's not how it works.

Look at the dominance of the Royal and US Navies on paper in the North Atlantic, and look how desperate that battle was for years against the Nazis.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giant carriers and expensive manned aviation systems are expensive relics of the past and the USA would take massive casualties in any real war with a modern navy.  Our offensive capabilities should all be launched and controlled from nuclear submarines.  We should have cheap small kamikaze air superiority drones flying in to attack opposing air forces that can move at G-Forces that would kill a human pilot.  You should be able to launch and recover thousands of them from a sub.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, easybronc said:

China has a Navy?  Wow, good thing we have F14s and stuff.

I hope Pearl Harbor is ready next time.

We don't have any F14's

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mugtang said:

There’s not a navy in the world that could take on our Navy. The combined forces of the Russian and Chinese navies couldn’t do significant damage to our Navy unless they wanted to drop nukes everywhere. 

I’m not concerned about the weapons distance difference.  China is developing missiles, we’re developing lasers and railguns.  

China’s carrier killer relies on a long kill chain that’s unreliable.  If China decided to try and sink a carrier they would be opening a huge can of worms.  

Ship mounted railguns and lasers are only good from horizon to horizon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×