Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

MW Basketball Schedule

Wow I can't believe the league decided to have USU and Nevada only play once? What a horrible decision...

Is it completely random or how do they decide?

36 minutes ago, bigd said:

Wow I can't believe the league decided to have USU and Nevada only play once? What a horrible decision...

The collateral damage to fire mitigation equipment is too high to consider doing two games. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

39 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

The collateral damage to fire mitigation equipment is too high to consider doing two games. 

I knew that joke was coming, but I'm bummed. With as bad as the conference is these days there are so few marquee games, both Nev/USU games would've been great...

3 hours ago, bigd said:

Good. The less poor quality teams that drag down our NET ranking, the better...:P

In all seriousness, I wish the MW would go to 16 reg season games. 18 is just too much, plus it’s more opportunities to boost the conf profile in OOC which is what really matters.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

I believe we only played BSU once last year iirc?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

4 hours ago, bigd said:

Last year they gave Nevada one game against SJSU because they didn't want to lower the NET and all that for a Nevada team that was suppose to do special things.

Other than that, I think they might have it on a rotating basis. Because we have had years where we have only played SDSU once, New Mexico once, SJSU once, Colorado St once and I think Wyoming once. It just might be USU's turn this year.

4 hours ago, bigd said:

We also only play Fresno St once as well.

1 hour ago, aggzilla said:

Good. The less poor quality teams that drag down our NET ranking, the better...:P

In all seriousness, I wish the MW would go to 16 reg season games. 18 is just too much, plus it’s more opportunities to boost the conf profile in OOC which is what really matters.

The problem is that conferences are moving to 20 games so there is less opportunity to fill good OOC schedule.

We’ll probably move to 20 games eventually also.

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Early December conference games? 

I read that because the conference tournament is being moved up this year (because of all the stuff going on in Vegas that week) that rather than shift the entire schedule they just decided to have one (for everybody) in early december. I think the Big 10 or Pac 12 or somebody did that last year for whatever reason.

11 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Dartboard

Lol....

Isn't it just on a rotation? It's hard to forecast how teams will turn out. I favor a complete set rotation or a regional/rival locked in and rotate the rest. Nine of ten years it will work as well as trying to guess.

I would think that with 11 teams a 20 game home and home slate makes sense. Less so if its 12 though.

9 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I read that because the conference tournament is being moved up this year (because of all the stuff going on in Vegas that week) that rather than shift the entire schedule they just decided to have one (for everybody) in early december. I think the Big 10 or Pac 12 or somebody did that last year for whatever reason.

I think the Big 10 and ACC are both doing early conference season games. Mostly for their Networks who struggle during that time period for attractive content. So long as most of January, then all of February and early March are conference play some early games make sense. Especially if you team longer conference trips with a travel ooc game. Example UNM playing at Boise with an at Gonzaga/Seattle type game. Or Wyoming playing at San Jose and at Stanford.

A few conferences have been doing conference games in December. Some because their conference tournaments start so early and some said because they wanted to loosen up the backlog of conference games in February. I think SEC is doing it this year or is thinking of doing it in the future as well. Big 10 started doing it last year.