Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

LV Bowl going big - Adios MWC

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

PAC12 Commish Larry Scott obviously alluding to UNLV's soon to be reality move to the PAC14/16 :cheer::rock::thumbsup::D:P

And this could be only the beginning for major college football in Las Vegas. Scott mentioned that discussions had taken place for the new stadium to host, “big national games and major early-season non-conference games.”

Las Vegas, therefore, could soon rival established go-to destinations like Atlanta and Arlington, Texas for neutral-site showcases.

“Today is truly an inflection point but I think it’s also the beginning of other great things that are in store for the Raiders and Las Vegas,” Scott said.

I wish it could be reality but, honestly the PAC12 has enough problems.  They probably make close to $20 million less per school right now than the SEC per year.   What can we possibly offer them that the Stadium Authority and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority are already spoon feeding the Pac12 with their basketball tournament and now a new bowl game.  Scott is probably thinking about bringing in their conference football championship to Las Vegas and that won't include UNLV if the local powers have anything to do with it.  

Outside of what we got as a handout with NRS SB1 the local powers don't care about UNLV.   Tourism and it's revenue are top priority in this town.  Nothing is going to change until we start to win some football games consistently.

39 minutes ago, Meister_Rebel said:

I wish it could be reality but, honestly the PAC12 has enough problems.  They probably make close to $20 million less per school right now than the SEC per year.   What can we possibly offer them that the Stadium Authority and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority are already spoon feeding the Pac12 with their basketball tournament and now a new bowl game.  Scott is probably thinking about bringing in their conference football championship to Las Vegas and that won't include UNLV if the local powers have anything to do with it.  

Outside of what we got as a handout with NRS SB1 the local powers don't care about UNLV.   Tourism and it's revenue are top priority in this town.  Nothing is going to change until we start to win some football games consistently.

I was teeing it up for the others to take a whack at my wishful thinking :hahaha: 

The biggest plus currently in UNLV's favor is that LV is the largest fully untapped media market in the west - By fully untapped I mean that the PAC already has a grasp in the LV market just due to proximity to being surrounded by PAC schools (Utah, UCLA, USC, AZ St & AZ and the numerous CA, OR, WA. UT, AZ transplants - but adding UNLV would pretty much give the entire market to the PAC - Adding LV to the PAC would pretty much wrap up every sizable TV market in the west / intermountain region leaving only ABQ as the biggest left 

But UNLV still needs lots of things and as you said the PAC has some issues 

https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2019/

#2 Los Angeles

#8 San Francisco Oakland San Jose

#12 Phoenix Prescott

#13 Seattle Tacoma

#17 Denver

#20 Sacramento Stockton Modesto

#22 Portland

#29 San Diego

#30 Salt Lake City

#39 Las Vegas 

#47 Albuquerque Santa Fe

#54 Fresno Visalia

#66 Honolulu

#73 Tucson Sierra Vista

#77 Spokane

#91 Colorado Springs Pueblo 

#100 Boise

#109 Reno

Good lord. VEGAS selling their soul (what's left of it ) to the devil again. Your city never ceases to bewilder me. Your own city shuns your school and conference with glee.

Perplexing how a UNLV fan can be proud......

7 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Wondering... will UNLV fans support the new Vegas bowl with no MWC, or will Vegas fill it regardless?

i mean, I’d go just to check out the stadium, but if UNLV is playing RSG there too, may just go when we’re playing the Rebs there.

What people outside of Las Vegas seem unaware of is that UNLV alumni in Las Vegas are less than 100,000 while "immigrants" in Las Vegas who moved here from PAC-12 country and the midwest number well over 1 Million.  Since BYU left the MWC, interest in the conference is almost nil in Las Vegas. 

16 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

LOL. UNLV fans don't go to their own games.

Will Vegas residents support the new bowl with no MWC? Undoubtedly if the PAC is involved. With the PAC #2 always getting the bowl, I doubt attendance will be a problem regardless.

Heck the bowl chairman is a Vegas alum.   UNLV clearly has no love or support in that town. 

22 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

I knew they would move it to after Christmas.   Such a farce they couldn't do it when the MW was tied to the Bowl. 

I remember the 'Vegas enablers saying they couldn't schedule the LV Bowl between Xmas and NY due to lack of hotel room space during that period.  So much for that theory.