Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

LV Bowl going big - Adios MWC

https://www.raiders.com/news/mitsubishi-motors-las-vegas-bowl-joins-forces-with-sec-big-ten-and-pac-12-at-new?sf213825750=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

LAS VEGAS – Beginning in 2020, the Las Vegas Bowl will be played in the new, state-of-the-art Las Vegas Stadium and feature a team from the Pac-12 Conference vs. a team from either the SEC or Big Ten Conference in a six-year deal announced Tuesday at the Palms Resort.

"This is a ground-breaking development for our game and for our city," said John Saccenti, Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl executive director. “In less than three decades the Las Vegas Bowl has grown into a must-see event each December and this collaboration takes us to the next level in not only the bowl world, but also the sports landscape as we will welcome three of the top conference brands in the nation to our event, which will be played in a stadium that is second-to-none.”

The new agreement will run from the 2020 game through the 2025 game and the Las Vegas Bowl will be move to a post-Christmas date for the first time. During those years, the Las Vegas Bowl will get the No. 2 selection (after the College Football Playoff selection) from the Pac-12 and share that position with the Holiday Bowl.

"We are excited to continue our partnership with the Las Vegas Bowl and to join with the SEC, Big Ten, Las Vegas Stadium, ESPN and LVCVA to take the Las Vegas Bowl to the next level of success in the years to come,” said Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott. “The experience of hosting some of our premier Pac-12 events in Las Vegas has been tremendous for our student-athletes, universities and fans, and to have the opportunity to play in such an incredible stadium against top quality competition on a national stage through ESPN will be welcomed by our student-athletes and fans."

The Las Vegas Bowl will share a spot with the Belk Bowl in the SEC “pool of six” that follows the CFP and Citrus selections and host a team here in 2020, ’22 and ’24.

“We are pleased to add the Las Vegas Bowl to the SEC bowl lineup,” SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said. “The Las Vegas Bowl provides the SEC with a new and exciting destination for our student-athletes and traveling fans at a location outside our traditional geographic footprint and in a much-anticipated matchup with a Pac-12 Conference opponent. We enjoy great relationships with some of the best bowl games in college football. With the addition of the Las Vegas Bowl, the SEC continues to provide a wide array of rewarding bowl game experiences for our student-athletes and fans in celebration of a successful season.”

The Las Vegas Bowl will share a Big Ten spot with the Music City Bowl after the CFP, Citrus and Outback selections and host a team here in 2021, ’23 and ’25.

LasVegasBowl_Web_2560x1440
Learn more about the Las Vegas Bowl as new information becomes available.

“We are excited to announce a new partnership with the Las Vegas Bowl through 2025 and to add to our longstanding bowl ties with the Pac-12 in a new location,” Big Ten Commissioner James E. Delany said. “The city of Las Vegas is a world-class destination that will be attractive to the participants and fans from our schools, and the support provided by the Raiders organization and ESPN will create a tremendous opportunity to elevate this game into a must-see event during the bowl season.”

Since the game debuted in 1992, every Las Vegas Bowl has been played at UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium, which is located seven miles from the World Famous Las Vegas Strip. In 2020 the event will move to the $1.8 billion Las Vegas Stadium currently under construction near Las Vegas Boulevard. Also the new home of the NFL’s Raiders franchise and UNLV football, capacity will be approximately 65,000, including 128 suites.

“The Raiders are proud to partner with the LVCVA and ESPN Events to bring the tradition of the Las Vegas Bowl to Las Vegas Stadium, which will provide an exciting destination for fans from the Pac-12, SEC and Big Ten conferences,” said Raiders President Marc Badain. “The Raiders are committed to working with the LVCVA to continue to attract elite sporting events to the newest world-class venue in the Entertainment Capital of the World.”

“We’re pleased to welcome the 2020 Las Vegas Bowl’s new partners, the Southeastern Conference and Big Ten,” said Steve Hill, CEO and president of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. “The matchup against the Pac-12 Conference will excite fans across the country, highlight our new stadium and serve as a great economic boost for Southern Nevada.”

The 2019 Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl will be played Saturday, Dec. 21, at 4:30 p.m. PT (7:30 p.m. ET) at Sam Boyd Stadium. The game will be televised nationally during primetime on ABC, featuring the top choice from the Mountain West against a team from the Pac-12 Conference.

Tickets go on sale to the general public July 8. Prices, depending on location, range from $35-$250. Visit www.lvbowl.com for more ticket information.

The Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl is one of 15 bowl games owned and operated by ESPN Events, a division of ESPN.

The most definitive info I've found on the MW's lineup post 2020 indicates that the sixth MW bowl game is a variable backup to a number of bowls owned and operated by ESPN Events.

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-lineup-for-next-six-seasons-to-be-announced-06-03-2019/

The Mountain West, with six tie-ins, loses its long-time tie-in to the Las Vegas Bowl, but instead will play the Pac-12 in the new Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park. The Mountain West also will remain in the Famous Idaho Potato, New Mexico, Arizona and Hawaii bowls – plus another ESPN Events bowl.

The 16 FBS bowls ESPN will own by 2020 are the following: Fenway Park, Cure, Myrtle Beach, Frisco, Hawaii, Texas, Gasparilla, Las Vegas, Armed Forces, New Mexico, First Responder, Bahamas, Boca Raton, Camellia, Birmingham and Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

The MW could easily be placed in the Las Vegas Bowl if there is a low number of teams from either the Big Ten, Pac 12 or SEC in a particular year because the Las Vegas Bowl is owned and operated by ESPN Events.

24 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

The MW could easily be placed in the Las Vegas Bowl if there is a low number of teams from either the Big Ten, Pac 12 or SEC in a particular year because the Las Vegas Bowl is owned and operated by ESPN Events.

Unlikely.  Pac 12 is sending, depending on NY6 berths, their 2nd/3rd/4th team.  The SEC is sending from their 6 pool bowls.  Last year, with 4 teams in the NY6, the SEC filled all of the 6 pool bowls (they couldnt fill Birmingham or Gasparilla).  The Big 10 is sending its 4th/5th/6th team, depending on the NY6.  Only the SEC could conceivably fall short, and even then that would mean the LV Bowl is among the least of the 6 SEC pool bowls.

During those years, the Las Vegas Bowl will get the No. 2 selection (after the College Football Playoff selection) from the Pac-12 and share that position with the Holiday Bowl.

The Las Vegas Bowl will share a spot with the Belk Bowl in the SEC “pool of six” that follows the CFP and Citrus selections and host a team here in 2020, ’22 and ’24.

The Las Vegas Bowl will share a Big Ten spot with the Music City Bowl after the CFP, Citrus and Outback selections and host a team here in 2021, ’23 and ’25.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

The most definitive info I've found on the MW's lineup post 2020 indicates that the sixth MW bowl game is a variable backup to a number of bowls owned and operated by ESPN Events.

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-lineup-for-next-six-seasons-to-be-announced-06-03-2019/

The last sentence seems a low probability.

Guest #1Stunner
31 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

I knew they would move it to after Christmas.   Such a farce they couldn't do it when the MW was tied to the Bowl. 

Again...

Why hasn't Stadium shown they are serious, and started a 2nd Las Vegas Bowl?

Stadium TV should make a MWC vs P5 matchup in Las Vegas.   They could make a big payout, and sponsor the game.

Stadium hasn't acted?  Why not?

Wondering... will UNLV fans support the new Vegas bowl with no MWC, or will Vegas fill it regardless?

i mean, I’d go just to check out the stadium, but if UNLV is playing RSG there too, may just go when we’re playing the Rebs there.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Wondering... will UNLV fans support the new Vegas bowl with no MWC, or will Vegas fill it regardless?

i mean, I’d go just to check out the stadium, but if UNLV is playing RSG there too, may just go when we’re playing the Rebs there.

What about the possibility of a BYU vs NEW MEXICO football game there (neutral site)?

I think you guys need to fire your coach first, but once that is done, let's do this.

25 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

LOL. UNLV fans don't go to their own games.

Will Vegas residents support the new bowl with no MWC? Undoubtedly if the PAC is involved. With the PAC #2 always getting the bowl, I doubt attendance will be a problem regardless.

Yeah. I think the newness of the stadium will be a draw for a few years anyway. 

I wasn’t to impressed with the fans that attended the Vegas bowl when we played UCLA and OSU there, but then again, we may have been a let down opponent for them too so...

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

What about the possibility of a BYU vs NEW MEXICO football game there (neutral site)?

I think you guys need to fire your coach first, but once that is done, let's do this.

Not sure how Lobos fans would travel for a neutral site game there? I’ve traveled to SBS for games against Vegas in the past, and we had ok support from fans that traveled there, but not like for the MWCT, back when we had a team that was a challenger for a title....  

The Las Vegas Stadium Authority as part of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority pretty much care about filling the stadium.  I think it's good for Las Vegas but, It also sends the message that the MWC just doesn't cut it.

I just hope UNLV didn't play along with this and give up one of their 3 guaranteed extra scheduling event dates as per outlined in amended signed version the Nevada Revised Statute SB1.  If we did it better be for some big bucks just for UNLV.  I'm pretty sure UNLV will use one of those for graduation but, the other two were still open.  Football scheduling of 6 games was already guaranteed and these 3 other dates were for UNLV to do with as they chose.

EDIT:  I missed the part in the article which specifically states this is a non-Raider and non-UNLV event.  So, all of UNLV events allotted are still intact.  

Wow impressive, should definitely be a fun game to watch. Honestly, I'd still like to see us get another game in Las Vegas. I don't think it would be impossible to get a Big 10 or Big 12 team for a tie-in.

3 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

The MWC matters little to the local population, in fact dumping the MWC will draw more local interest as most here see the MWC has small time - This upgraded bowl will do much better attendance that any previous LV Bowl 

There's way more PAC12, B10 fans here than MWC fans & not even close 

1 hour ago, Meister_Rebel said:

The Las Vegas Stadium Authority as part of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority pretty much care about filling the stadium.  I think it's good for Las Vegas but, It also sends the message that the MWC just doesn't cut it.

I just hope UNLV didn't play along with this and give up one of their 3 guaranteed extra scheduling event dates as per outlined in amended signed version the Nevada Revised Statute SB1.  If we did it better be for some big bucks just for UNLV.  I'm pretty sure UNLV will use one of those for graduation but, the other two were still open.  Football scheduling of 6 games was already guaranteed and these 3 other dates were for UNLV to do with as they chose.

EDIT:  I missed the part in the article which specifically states this is a non-Raider and non-UNLV event.  So, all of UNLV events allotted are still intact.  

Yep - Once this stadium was a reality the MWC chances of being involved in a bowl there pretty much became a long shot - About the only way I could see the MWC getting a shot is if for some reason they add another lower level bowl, but that would be like playing a Junior Varsity game where the attendance probably won't justify turning on the lights 

If the local powers that be determine to keep Sam Boyd Stadium, that's probably where the MWC bowl would be played - Better look & easier to get 25,000 to 32,000 at SBS for a MWC bowl game.

Just like in Basketball.........the PAC gets the new arena (T-Mobile) and the MWC gets the T&M.........and then down the pecking order it goes with the WCC & WAC at the Orleans arena 

PAC12 Commish Larry Scott obviously alluding to UNLV's soon to be reality move to the PAC14/16 :cheer::rock::thumbsup::D:P

And this could be only the beginning for major college football in Las Vegas. Scott mentioned that discussions had taken place for the new stadium to host, “big national games and major early-season non-conference games.”

Las Vegas, therefore, could soon rival established go-to destinations like Atlanta and Arlington, Texas for neutral-site showcases.

“Today is truly an inflection point but I think it’s also the beginning of other great things that are in store for the Raiders and Las Vegas,” Scott said.