Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Gone

Good for him! Nothing wrong with wanting a new experience somewhere else. I wish him well if he does leave.

i wonder if this has anything to do with weir’s scholarship  dilemma... to many bodies, not enough schollies?

edit: https://www.abqjournal.com/1323448/lobo-anthony-mathis-announces-he-will-transfer-from-unm.html#click=https://t.co/jKJ0UeWwxJ

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Remembering that he wasn't supposed to get another season at all, I'm ambivalent. Always hate to lose a shooter, but glad to know the defense will be better. That's not a criticism; you have to keep a 40-ish % shooter on the floor, but it came at a cost. Bo's still two over the limit, but the active rumor is one player will accept an academic scholly to help.

1 hour ago, jdw said:

Remembering that he wasn't supposed to get another season at all, I'm ambivalent. Always hate to lose a shooter, but glad to know the defense will be better. That's not a criticism; you have to keep a 40-ish % shooter on the floor, but it came at a cost. Bo's still two over the limit, but the active rumor is one player will accept an academic scholly to help.

This is how my cousin played D-III f'ball, but isn't this an NCAA violation?  How does the statue read on this backdoor method of packing the bench w/scholarship players?

As far as I know, legal as long as the student-athlete meets the requirements. All he would be doing is becoming a walk-on and they are not barred from academic schollys. Remember, there are few, if any, academic scholarships that provide the benefits of a full-ride.

20 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

This is how my cousin played D-III f'ball, but isn't this an NCAA violation?  How does the statue read on this backdoor method of packing the bench w/scholarship players?

I actually never thought about the whole scholarship limit and if that is just for athletic scholars or in general.  I don't see why a team should be punished for having an academic achiever on its roster.

7 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Kid looks solid.

I’ve never heard of an “NBA Academy”. I guess Africa is considered fertile ground for up and coming basketball recruits for American colleges?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I’ve never heard of an “NBA Academy”. I guess Africa is considered fertile ground for up and coming basketball recruits for American colleges?

I believe that is where JTT came from. He was a freshman on unlv last year.