Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

I have killed the Trump forum. Going forward on the OT forum

2 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Politics permeates way too many threads on this board that should have no connection with it, and usually it is a grudge between posters that carries over to every interaction.  

Unfortunately, you are too often right about this.

3 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Politics permeates way too many threads on this board that should have no connection with it, and usually it is a grudge between posters that carries over to every interaction.  

You could say that about anything and everything. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

No idea what you mean. 

Politics seems to be infused into anything and everything, and yet often times the moments when it erupts into a major conflict the conflict has more to do with personal grudges than the political ideology. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

34 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Politics seems to be infused into anything and everything, and yet often times the moments when it erupts into a major conflict the conflict has more to do with personal grudges than the political ideology. 

Maybe I have been missing it but I don't see the same thing carry over onto the Sports Board. 

:shrug:

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

4 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Maybe I have been missing it but I don't see the same thing carry over onto the Sports Board. 

:shrug:

I think that's by design. There's an effort to exclude politics. But I was speaking more in general - it's hard to escape politics. 

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

I’m going to think on it for a few days. I’ll probably put it to a vote for everybody to decide what they want to do. 

Seems like just another Trump board.  Maybe you can make a heavily censored different board for shit nobody cares to talk about instead of screwing with this one. I dont mind the random topics that sometimes get interspersed w politics.   

If i want to be PC and not say how much I loathe Trump I can go to facebook and be a good boy.  This place is a total relief. Lol

Posted Image

I liked the Trump forum for a couple weeks it was a great help.  I never went there and people kept the Trump stuff off the main board.

It worked fine all those with a Trump obsession stayed there for a week or two.   You knew they were going to come back though.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, mugtang said:

I created it to try to improve discourse on the board and I don’t think I succeeded.  I only succeeded in shunning those who disagreed with Trump by moving those threads off the main OT forum.  That wasn’t my intention and for those that felt like I did that I sincerely apologize.  I support the free exchange of ideas and my creating that sub forum didn’t adhere to that philosophy.  

I do ask that we keep the Positive/Negative Trump threads to a minimum.  I don’t think we need a new thread every time Trump says something stupid or when his poll numbers increase/decrease.  But I will leave that up to you guys and ladies to decide what you post.  I do reserve the right to merge redundant threads though.  

Also, I would appreciate it if we could stop with petty insulting name calling.  If you can’t make your point without calling somebody stupid, moron, idiot, etc etc etc then you don’t have a point to make.  I don’t think it’s helpful and honestly it’s gotten old so going forward I’m going to be enforcing that rule here.  There are quite a few educated people here so we should be able to have a legit discussing without it. Posts that have already happened will not be moderated or changed but posts made after this one will be.  I know we’ve discussed this in the past but I’ve let it get out of control and that’s my bad.   

I appreciate all of you who contribute to both the sports forum and non-sports forum and I want to continue the OT section being a place where the free exchange of ideas is encouraged.  

What a coincidence, Bill O’Reilly just finished his new book “Killing Donald J Trump”.

kat.jpg

On 6/2/2019 at 7:58 PM, mugtang said:

I created it to try to improve discourse on the board and I don’t think I succeeded.  I only succeeded in shunning those who disagreed with Trump by moving those threads off the main OT forum.  That wasn’t my intention and for those that felt like I did that I sincerely apologize.  I support the free exchange of ideas and my creating that sub forum didn’t adhere to that philosophy.  

I do ask that we keep the Positive/Negative Trump threads to a minimum.  I don’t think we need a new thread every time Trump says something stupid or when his poll numbers increase/decrease.  But I will leave that up to you guys and ladies to decide what you post.  I do reserve the right to merge redundant threads though.  

Also, I would appreciate it if we could stop with petty insulting name calling.  If you can’t make your point without calling somebody stupid, moron, idiot, etc etc etc then you don’t have a point to make.  I don’t think it’s helpful and honestly it’s gotten old so going forward I’m going to be enforcing that rule here.  There are quite a few educated people here so we should be able to have a legit discussing without it. Posts that have already happened will not be moderated or changed but posts made after this one will be.  I know we’ve discussed this in the past but I’ve let it get out of control and that’s my bad.   

I appreciate all of you who contribute to both the sports forum and non-sports forum and I want to continue the OT section being a place where the free exchange of ideas is encouraged.  

I thought it was a good move...i  used it for a while until it got too hard to deal with all the vitreol.   Perhaps 10:1 hater vs supporter.

It just proved the lack of rational thought amongst haters.

4 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

I thought it was a good move...i  used it for a while until it got too hard to deal with all the vitreol.   Perhaps 10:1 hater vs supporter.

It just proved the lack of rational thought amongst haters.

It should have been titled the Trump haters board. The haters could all wallow in their hatred for president and country and enjoy themselves. Now we will get Retro introducing a Trump hating article daily. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It should have been titled the Trump haters board. The haters could all wallow in their hatred for president and country and enjoy themselves. Now we will get Retro introducing a Trump hating article daily. 

I would vote for that.  

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure that Convert posted more Trump adulation threads than anything else in there. Now, that all being said, you're vastly overstating the number of threads that I've posted about Trump. I did some looking, and I have posted 190 threads here since 1/1/19, 40 of them were about Trump, his administration, or something that tangentially involved him. That gives us about 21% of my threads falling into that category. That also gives us a Trump or partially Trump related thread roughly every four days. Most of them were simply posting a policy change or other big news item. 

It's nice to know that I'm living rent free not only in Convert's head, but yours as well

Guest #1Stunner

That's too bad Mug killed it...

Getting rid of the constant Donald Trump talk was a good thing.

I think @jackmormon left in protest----hasn't been back since.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Yeah, who wants to hear people like you that never have anything positive to add day after day. 

:lol:

i·ro·ny1
/ˈīrənē/
noun

1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"

• a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.