Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Clean Energy

19 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

LMFAO !!

Unreal.

So no information on where the poison waste goes ??

Which "poison" waste are you talking about?  The coolant that has been purified to the point that the radiation levels aren't even measurable?  Are you talking about the components used to operate the reactor that have become activated due to being exposed to neutron flux and are shielded before they are buried? Or the solid fuel waste that has been cooled and gives off such low levels of radiation that you can walk up and touch it? The solid waste that, when properly shielded, will not be hazardous to anyone? The waste that people are so freaked out about they won't allow it to be stored anywhere because they have such wild misconceptions about it? The waste that there is such a small amount of that it only would fill a space the size of a single football field 10 ft deep?

Look, I understand that people are concerned with waste.  They are concerned about it getting into the drinking water.  It is a legit concern.  That is why we want to store it in locations where it wouldn't be a concern, such as Yucca mountain.  It is very easy to store radioactive waste.  Put it in a steel cask and it isn't going to be a problem ever.  If you are that concerned about it, bury it in a mine where even if the few feet of steel that would have to break down for the waste to leak out through it wouldn't even be able to affect anyone.  At that point where it breaks down the steel, which would take a very long time, the fission products would have decayed away to a point where they aren't even measurable any more. 

We know how to handle this stuff.  The public refuses to become educated about it and as a result, they make it harder for us to make any real progress with the technology.  A similar example is the Concorde. There was one crash and everyone thinks that supersonic airplanes are dangerous.  Any plane can crash if a piece of metal from another plane gets into the engine.  We can't let fear of something stop us from understanding it. 

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

45 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

LMFAO !!

Unreal.

So no information on where the poison waste goes ??

They can be safely stored, but I don’t expect that will change your mind. You will just keep bitching about carbon emissions and climate change. 

I trust the people that know something about nuclear energy instead of you Mr. Negative Nancy. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

They can be safely stored, but I don’t expect that will change your mind. You will just keep bitching about carbon emissions and climate change. 

Safely stored for 10,000 years. !??!?

Right on  Nostradamus.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

1 minute ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Right on  Nostradamus.

You don’t seem to believe in science. I’ll wager that science will come up with the technology to neutralize waste in a lot shorter time frame than 10,000 years. 

Are you aware wastewater can be made drinkable? People would have never thought so 150 years ago. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

You don’t seem to believe in science. I’ll wager that science will come up with the technology to neutralize waste in a lot shorter time frame than 10,000 years. 

Are you aware wastewater can be made drinkable? People would have never thought so 150 years ago. 

I wont wager.

This means a lot to you huh?

Is radioactive waste-water drinkable?
you first.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

6 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

I wont wager.

This means a lot to you huh?

Is radioactive waste-water drinkable?
you first.

Why are you so irrationally against nuclear power? You've offered nothing to rebut anything Naggsty has said. 

11 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Right on  Nostradamus.

Were you aware that steel, when placed in the right conditions, will take thousands of years to break down? So if we store this low level radioactive waste in steel casks under 900 ft of rock, the steel will probably last long enough for the radioactive particles to decay away.  And even if the steel doesn't last that long, if it only lasts 100 years, you have some low level radioactive waste buried under 900 to 5,000 ft of rock, where it only needs a little bit of lead, steel, water, plastic, or rock to shield it from going any more than a few dozen feet, and will never be a threat to anyone, ever. Not in 10,000 years.  If you are concerned about someone digging it up and rubbing it all over themselves and possibly getting cancer, then yeah that could happen.  An asteroid could hit the earth and wipe out all life, too, but the chances of that happening are just as likely.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

Just now, Naggsty Butler said:

Were you aware that steel, when placed in the right conditions, will take thousands of years to break down? So if we store this low level radioactive waste in steel casks under 900 ft of rock, the steel will probably last long enough for the radioactive particles to decay away.  And even if the steel doesn't last that long, if it only lasts 100 years, you have some low level radioactive waste buried under 900 to 5,000 ft of rock, where it only needs a little bit of lead, steel, water, plastic, or rock to shield it from going any more than a few dozen feet, and will never be a threat to anyone, ever. Not in 10,000 years.  If you are concerned about someone digging it up and rubbing it all over themselves and possibly getting cancer, then yeah that could happen.  An asteroid could hit the earth and wipe out all life, too, but the chances of that happening are just as likely.

yeah sure, and if it ever fails you'll be long gone....Long gone!!

So who really F-ing cares?

cerified_Subarus.jpg

4 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

giphy.gif

I don't know what to say.  You've been presented with detailed explanations backed up with scientific evidence, and you still think we are just looking for excuses to shrug off the responsibility to future generations. You are no different from the climate change deniers who deny the scientific evidence and prevent any real positive change from happening. 

l.jpg

6 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

You are just another ostrich with his head buried in the sand. I’ll bet you are afraid to drive. 

For any one who is interested, here is a very informative and interesting explanation on the Fukushima Disaster.  We use this video in our training at the Navy Shipyard.

l.jpg

On 6/2/2019 at 11:14 AM, Lester_in_reno said:

what about the issue of  "spent radioactive waste"?
Half life of over 10,000 years?

Want it stored/ buried  in your state?

All the radioactive waste in existence wouldn't stack more than 12 feet high on a football field.

Sure I would love to have it stored in my state at Yucca mountain.  Nevada is retarded for opposing it.  They should be charging everyone for storing it.

There is no danger from nuclear waste at Yucca mountain.  None.  The worst an earthquake could do is burry it deeper and if it was that large an earthquake Las Vegas would be flat and california would be in the ocean.

The paranoia and ignorance is ridiculous.

I bet you don't even know there are 2 nuclear waste storage facilities in Henderson Nevada and 1 in Sparks Nevada.   Every major city in this country has a nuclear waste storage facility, did you know that?   They store chicken for KFC next to the one on Kelly Johnson Dr in Henderson.  Probably the safest chicken in the the world to eat if it is getting irradiated, which of  course it isn't.

Seriously man get an education.

7 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

All the radioactive waste in existence wouldn't stack more than 12 feet high on a football field.

Sure I would love to have it stored in my state at Yucca mountain.  Nevada is retarded for opposing it.  They should be charging everyone for storing it.

There is no danger from nuclear waste at Yucca mountain.  None.  The worst an earthquake could do is burry it deeper and if it was that large an earthquake Las Vegas would be flat and california would be in the ocean.

The paranoia and ignorance is ridiculous.

I bet you don't even know there are 2 nuclear waste storage facilities in Henderson Nevada and 1 in Sparks Nevada.   Every major city in this country has a nuclear waste storage facility, did you know that?   They store chicken for KFC next to the one on Kelly Johnson Dr in Henderson.  Probably the safest chicken in the the world to eat if it is getting irradiated, which of  course it isn't.

Seriously man get an education.

That’s what I’ve been saying.  Nevada should’ve said “hey we will take it for a few billion per year”.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Why not just take a large setup of desert in Central Nevada...build a bunch of nuclear plants...secure the hell out of it, and build a waste storage facility out there?

You'd have clean energy to supply to most of the United States indefinitely. 

I don't get it...the same people that rag on coal for being a "dirty fuel" are the same ones who kick and scream about nuclear energy being this horrible thing, when it's probably the cleanest and most efficient out there. 

10 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Why not just take a large setup of desert in Central Nevada...build a bunch of nuclear plants...secure the hell out of it, and build a waste storage facility out there?

You'd have clean energy to supply to most of the United States indefinitely. 

I don't get it...the same people that rag on coal for being a "dirty fuel" are the same ones who kick and scream about nuclear energy being this horrible thing, when it's probably the cleanest and most efficient out there. 

Water. It'd work for the rest of it though. I mean, who knows, there could be advancements already that allow them to not have to build right on water for cooling purposes. 

17 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Yeah maybe pour that radioactive waste down the volcano on the big island. It's such nice stuff your state should volunteer to accept it!

It's only nasty for 10,000 years. no problem.

cerified_Subarus.jpg