Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

The last time each MWC team won a football conference title

4 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Utah State's "title" should come with a huge asterisk. Everyone with a pulse was gonzo that last year of the WAC before it imploded. When your toughest competition is SJSU, something is rotten.

When was the last time USU won a legit title against actual D1 competition?

That USU team was legit.  About as good as the last few MWC champs.  

1 hour ago, Spot50B said:

Utah State's "title" should come with a huge asterisk. Everyone with a pulse was gonzo that last year of the WAC before it imploded. When your toughest competition is SJSU, something is rotten.

1997?

10 hours ago, Spot50B said:

La Tech was tough that year.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That USU team was legit.  About as good as the last few MWC champs.  

About the same as their team from last year. Beat no one of consequence.  Had a padded record. I think they only beat two teams with winning records-- SJSU and La Tech (three if you count their bowl win).

I checked and UNLV arguably won the Big West football championship in 1994. The Rebels tied UNR at 5-1 in the conference but UNR's only conference loss was to UNLV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_West_Conference_football_standings

A quarter century without a conference title might be a long time but it pales in comparison to 55 years like UNM. (Sorry, Rebs, but you just having been REALLY awful.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, Spot50B said:

About the same as their team from last year. Beat no one of consequence.  Had a padded record. I think they only beat two teams with winning records-- SJSU and La Tech (three if you count their bowl win).

9 from that team went on to make NFL 53 man rosters. Pretty talented team especially for a G5 squad.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

4 hours ago, RogueStout said:

La Tech was tough that year.

SJSU also finished that year ranked.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

9 from that team went on to make NFL 53 man rosters. Pretty talented team especially for a G5 squad.

Check this.

Murray on the 2010 Nevada/Boise game. “Twenty-eight players on the field that night went on to play in the NFL (13 from Nevada; 15 from Boise State) and an additional 20-plus players got into NFL training camps.”

4 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Too young to remember when Vegas was worth a chit but acts like he’s resident expert. Shocking. 

I’m not too f-ckin’ young!  UNLV, from 2007-2013, made the NCAAs six times in seven f-ckin’ years!  That’s worth a f-ckin’ sh*t!

19 hours ago, Spot50B said:

As others have noted, La. Tech and SJSU were both in the top 25 that year. La. Tech gave Johnny Manziel's Texas A&M team all that they could handle. SJSU lost a close game to a Stanford team that played in the Rose Bowl. And USU should have beaten Rose Bowl-bound Wisconsin on the road. We probably would have played in a BCS game ourselves if we hadn't missed that chip shot field goal against Wisconsin as time expired. I know, moral victories. But those three teams were legit. Granted, there was a big drop off after those three teams, but I wouldn't say that winning a conference that had three top 25 teams deserves an asterisk.

18 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Check this.

Murray on the 2010 Nevada/Boise game. “Twenty-eight players on the field that night went on to play in the NFL (13 from Nevada; 15 from Boise State) and an additional 20-plus players got into NFL training camps.”

My favorite related note: There were more future NFL players in that game than the Auburn-Oregon NC game that was played a month later.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

My favorite related note: There were more future NFL players in that game then the Auburn-Oregon NC game that was played a month later.

Shame for Boise that Brotzman was not among that list. 

11 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

As others have noted, La. Tech and SJSU were both in the top 25 that year. La. Tech gave Johnny Manziel's Texas A&M team all that they could handle. SJSU lost a close game to a Stanford team that played in the Rose Bowl. And USU should have beaten Rose Bowl-bound Wisconsin on the road. We probably would have played in a BCS game ourselves if we hadn't missed that chip shot field goal against Wisconsin as time expired. I know, moral victories. But those three teams were legit. Granted, there was a big drop off after those three teams, but I wouldn't say that winning a conference that had three top 25 teams deserves an asterisk.

Okay, so the entire conference beat no one of consequence. Utah State would have finished no better than third in the MWC that year. SJSU and LaTech would have been lucky to finish with winning records.  As you should know by now, kicking the living shit out of bad teams is meaningless. So are close losses.

It's a huge asterisk. You know that your team wasn't good enough to win in the MWC that year-- but it's all you got, so I get it.

1 hour ago, Spot50B said:

Okay, so the entire conference beat no one of consequence. Utah State would have finished no better than third in the MWC that year. SJSU and LaTech would have been lucky to finish with winning records.  As you should know by now, kicking the living shit out of bad teams is meaningless. So are close losses.

It's a huge asterisk. You know that your team wasn't good enough to win in the MWC that year-- but it's all you got, so I get it.

SJSU went 2-0 against MWC teams in 2012, defeating Colorado State and MWC Co-Champions San Diego State in the Aztecs own crib. To say they wouldn't have finished with a winning record had they been in the MWC is ludicrous. Heck, the following year, an SJSU team that wasn't as strong as the 2012 team (having lost MacIntyre and most of his staff), finished with a winning record in MWC games (5-3). Only one MWC team was better than SJSU in 2012 (Boise State), and only one WAC team was better than the Spartans (Utah State). The final polls bear this out.

Champ Logo.jpg

15 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

SJSU went 2-0 against MWC teams in 2012, defeating Colorado State and MWC Co-Champions San Diego State in the Aztecs own crib. To say they wouldn't have finished with a winning record had they been in the MWC is ludicrous. Heck, the following year, an SJSU team that wasn't as strong as the 2012 team (having lost MacIntyre and most of his staff), finished with a winning record in MWC games (5-3). Only one MWC team was better than SJSU in 2012 (Boise State), and only one WAC team was better than the Spartans (Utah State). The final polls bear this out.

6-6 max. Still bowl eligible. Fales was just that good.