Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

This is how countries without libertarians go about their business ...

I knew I was going to marry my wife when I saw her call another chick a cvnt. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

23 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Largely your defense of Goldwater as taking a "principled" view on Civil Rights laws.

Based on his view of constitutional adherence. Nothing to do with Jim Crow laws, which Goldwater was opposed to.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

11 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Based on his view of constitutional adherence. Nothing to do with Jim Crow laws, which Goldwater was opposed to.

Oh how very brave of him.  :rolleyes:

And there's no way to square the equal protection clause of the constitution with jim crow laws.  Goldwater was wrong morally AND legally.

10 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

He opposed them, he was just cool with staying in place

26 minutes ago, Orange said:

Oh how very brave of him.  :rolleyes:

And there's no way to square the equal protection clause of the constitution with jim crow laws.  Goldwater was wrong morally AND legally.

20 minutes ago, sebasour said:

He opposed them, he was just cool with staying in place

You two are both horribly wrong on how Goldwater viewed law, race, and society in general. By claiming he was supposedly cool with Jim Crow laws staying perpetually in place, it’s an equivalence to me saying you’re both anti-Semitic by purposely mis-characterizing him. We could play this game all day long.

5 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

You two are both horribly wrong on how Goldwater viewed law, race, and society in general. By claiming he was supposedly cool with Jim Crow laws staying perpetually in place, it’s an equivalence to me saying you’re both anti-Semitic by purposely mis-characterizing him. We could play this game all day long.

No that equivalent would be someone voting to keep allowing the persecution of The Jewish People, but saying it's alright because its for non hateful reasons 

1 hour ago, sebasour said:

No that equivalent would be someone voting to keep allowing the persecution of The Jewish People, but saying it's alright because its for non hateful reasons 

Okay — so then would you be willing to admit that Goldwater was not pro-Jim Crow laws but simply wanted to find a different way of eliminating them other than how the CLA was constructed? Or is that not in line with your taking points?

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Okay — so then would you be willing to admit that Goldwater was not pro-Jim Crow but simply wanted to find a different way of eliminating them other than how the CLA was constructed? Or is that not in line with your taking points?

He may not have been, but Jim Crow laws are why I dont always support "the federal government should stay put of state business" line of thinking that you seem to fetishize so much

He may not have been, but Jim Crow laws are why I dont always support "the federal government should stay put of state business" line of thinking that you seem to fetishize so much

Personally, I’m not a states rights guy. Rather I’m an individual rights guy and that has been demonstrated time and time again on this board when it comes to abortion, drug, marriage, firearm, property, speech, labor, and migration issues. 

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Okay — so then would you be willing to admit that Goldwater was not pro-Jim Crow laws but simply wanted to find a different way of eliminating them other than how the CLA was constructed? Or is that not in line with your taking points?

I wouldn't say that unless he advanced some proposals in that regard.

To my knowledge, he did not.  Probably because there aren't any, and he's dead wrong about the constitution.

Guest #1Stunner
4 hours ago, sebasour said:

Largely your defense of Goldwater as taking a "principled" view on Civil Rights laws.

I don't know much about Goldwater and Civil Rights, but my understanding is that Barry Goldwater pushed to create Lake Powell in Southern Utah.   He fought the environmentalists and got it passed.

I've water skied there many times.   They could almost name the lake after Barry Goldwater.

4 minutes ago, Orange said:

I wouldn't say that unless he advanced some proposals in that regard.

To my knowledge, he did not.  Probably because there aren't any, and he's dead wrong about the constitution.

You don't even have a grasp on it. Who are you to say he was "dead wrong"?

Personally, a Goldwater win in '64 is one of those great "what if's" of history. I don't think we would have gotten involved so heavily in Vietnam and we probably wouldn't have the bureaucratic nightmare we are burdened with today. Who knows though. Maybe it would have all ended up +++++ed up regardless. 

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Personally, I’m not a states rights guy. Rather I’m an individual rights guy and that has been demonstrated time and time again on this board when it comes to abortion, drug, marriage, firearm, property, speech, labor, and migration issues. 

If I misunderstood your position, I apologize 

If I misunderstood your position, I apologize 

No worries bud.

6 hours ago, sebasour said:

The federal government not doing their job was why jim crow laws existed to begin with.

The Jim Crow laws existence was a failure of government at every level.

Suggesting the primacy of any one layer is ridiculous.