Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

BYU and the MWC

It all happened before Nevada joined the MW so I don't know how things played out.  So is it your position that Thompson made all the decisions about BYU?  Did he unilaterally decide they couldn't keep their tier 3 rights?  Was it all his decision to not allow BYU to keep its Oly sports in the MW.  Did the presidents not have any say in any of these decisions?

11 minutes ago, 307dude said:

That’s hardly basis for concluding UW supports Craig Thompson or vice versa. I can tell you that conversations I’ve had with folks very close to the UW Athletics department paint a very different picture than what you suggest. Wyoming is no fan of Thompson, nor he of Wyoming. 

Lies.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Maybe UNLV supports Thompson but if UNLV's president has ever chaired the MWC board of directors I don't remember hearing about it. So I could be incorrect but logic suggests that if the front range schools weren't happy with Thompson, he would be gone.

UNLV's President Neal Smatresk was chair of the MWC Board of Directors in 2012 when the San Jose State and Utah State invitations were made.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You should! I know how much you love Caldwell ID.  Fort Collins us Denver's Caldwell 

The guys I met in Caldwell wore their ballcaps sideways and had gold chains.

They talked like they were from Brooklyn, NY....(despite being Idahoans). 

It was the oddest thing.

2 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

It all happened before Nevada join the MW so I don't know how things played out.  So is it your position that Thompson made all the decisions about BYU?  Did he unilaterally decide they couldn't keep their tier 3 rights?  Was it all his decision to not allow BYU to keep its Oly sports in the MW.  Did the presidents not have any say in any of these decisions?

Univeristy presidents call the shots in the end, conference commissioners make a recommendation on such things. It is the presidents who vote though. 

Guest #1Stunner

Honestly, if BYU made any sort of move (unlikely), it would be with Boise State.

I know for a fact that BYU is trying to work closely with Boise State on athletics matters.   That could just be because both schools have ESPN deals, though.

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Univeristy presidents call the shots in the end, conference commissioners make a recommendation on such things. It is the presidents who vote though. 

That's how it works in every conference.  I have never understood this notion that Thompson runs everything..

6 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

That's how it works in every conference.  I have never understood this notion that Thompson runs everything..

convienient scapegoat.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

28 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Yep but ask an "insider" (lmao) from any school here and they will say the same thing that random Wyoming fan just said. 

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

UNLV's President Neal Smatresk was chair of the MWC Board of Directors in 2012 when the San Jose State and Utah State invitations were made.

Thanks. Figures that I wasn't aware of that since my school was headed out and given UNLV's significant athletics underachievement, it figures SJSU was allowed in when the conference was chaired by the Rebel president.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

It all happened before Nevada joined the MW so I don't know how things played out.  So is it your position that Thompson made all the decisions about BYU?  Did he unilaterally decide they couldn't keep their tier 3 rights?  Was it all his decision to not allow BYU to keep its Oly sports in the MW.  Did the presidents not have any say in any of these decisions?

I'm pretty sure my school opposed that BYU request too. SDSU hasn't exactly had a favorable impression of what was referred to on the old AztecTalk as the Borg. Pretty much comes down to Lavell Edwards calling too many post patterns against SDSU with BYU ahead by 4 TDs or more late in the fourth quarter. A number of old guy Aztecs still detest BYU for that but I've been over the butthurt for many years and never blamed the Cougars for leaving the MW under the circumstances which then existed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I really don't blame anybody for leaving..You have to look out for your own best interests..I was amazed when SDSU decided to return to the MW because they were clearly unhappy.  

I would be fine with it if BYU wanted to rejoin the MW but I certainly haven't seen any indication that BYU is at all interested in doing so.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'm pleased to hear that. Thompson did a good job for the MW's first dozen years but almost everything he has touched since then has turned to crap.

So can we agree that if Hair effs up the new broadcast deal as I fully expect he will that Wyoming may join other members of the conference in booting him and his buddy Gilliland (could be sic) out the door?

Yes, we can agree on that. I expect Burman and our new president (TBD) to advocate for what is best for Wyoming. Ensuring that the conference maximizes it’s full revenue potential is certainly in that scope. 

Burman recently lobbied the UW trustees to include $50M in the university’s capital appropriations request from the state to complete renovations on the west side of the War, including a new press box/luxury box facility, as well as a new aquatic facility. It would be supplemented with $25M in private contributions, for a total project spend of $75M. Not sure how amenable the trustees will be to that. 

On 5/30/2019 at 12:19 PM, Gator 82 said:

As much as I hate starting a topic on BYU, the author of this article makes some good points.

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2019/05/28/byu-football-mountain-west-the-option/

As much as most of the mwc fans dislike or hate the Borg, the fact is that the re unification of both is the best win-win situation for each entity that exists today. Lots to forgive, but never forget! BYU is a horrible partner but they do bring great fans who travel well and they bring out the best of rivalry hatred among any teams that has ever played in the mountain West.

5 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I really don't blame anybody for leaving..You have to look out for your own best interests..I was amazed when SDSU decided to return to the MW because they were clearly unhappy.  

I would be fine with it if BYU wanted to rejoin the MW but I certainly haven't seen any indication that BYU is at all interested in doing so.

I really don't see BYU coming back to the MWC, here is the biggest reason why.  BYU's last full year in the MWC, BYU's Athletic Revenue was $36,692,623 vs this last year it was $79,644,919 (had a net revenue of $10,587,333).  That is a difference of $42,952,296.  Just look at Utah in the Pac12 (and their Golden Ticket to the P5), this last year their Athletic Revenue was $82,467,618 (had a net revenue of $8,099,427).  So, even with not getting a Golden Ticket (P5 invite)...  BYU has really been making bank ($2,822,699 less than Utah last year), since parting ways with the MWC and it's TV contract.  Needless to say BYU's ESPN TV contract has been very good to BYU.  The contract is much larger than any of the numbers that people love to use on this board.

19 hours ago, nvspuds said:

When rumors were afloat of Boise joining the Big East for football, SDSU hurriedly contracted for some expert to estimate what kind of annual broadcast income that still "power" conference containing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville and West Virginia would bring. IIRC, the answer was $6.1M plus or minus. Add in big travel expense savings by placing SDSU's Olys in the Big West bus league and it was projected the school could have something like quintupled athletics revenue. There were all kinds of crazy but quite doable comments from the athletic department about how it would have been handled. One I vividly recall is the tricked out mobile home that was going to be purchased for Steve Fisher to travel in from BW site to BW site.

What no one at SDSU was then counting on was having all four of those named BE schools soon be poached by superior conferences and if an SDSU guy who had connections with Boise's athletic department had the straight intel (and he told me about SDSU perhaps coming along with Boise about six weeks before the media became aware of it), Boise had no inkling of those schools leaving either. However, for me personally the straw that broke the camel's back was when the Catholic 7 forced out the nBE's commissioner and very soon after Mike Aresco was hired, out of the clear blue sky Aresco pushed through the addition of Tulane which rumor had it - and I've never seen anything to the contrary - was done at the urging of UCF and SMU which hadn't even joined the nBE yet themselves. The guy with the Boise contact told me that school had the same reaction to that news as SDSU did: that although our schools had no vote on the Tulane add, to not even be asked our opinion and having to hear about it through the media was a slap in the face.

Then there was Aresco's patent refusal to seriously consider trying to poach 2-4 other MWC schools by creating an all-sports western division, the P6 nonsense, his also pushing for the addition of equally useless Tulsa and gawd knows what other idiotic things he's done. So SDSU's decision to remain in the MWC is fine with me.

Boom goes the dynamite.