Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cosinama

I hope you didn’t return all that lube you bought.

Nevada got a lot of preseason hype despite the fact they only returned 3 guys from the Sweet 16 team . That was really weird to me..On the other hand, USU brings back almost everybody from their tourney team..

USU should be the best MW team EVER next season. :):)

46 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I don't think USU has any weaknesses as long as everybody stays healthy. The should be unanimous pre season favorites..I think SDSU and NM will be very good..After that it is hard to say.

They should be very good, but they’ll have plenty of weaknesses. Last year’s team wasn’t particularly athletic and the point guard play was inconsistent. But I agree, they should be the odds-on favorites. 

I want to see what Jordan Brown decides before I figure out my pecking order from there, though.

1 minute ago, nvspuds said:

Nevada got a lot of preseason hype despite the fact they only returned 3 guys from the Sweet 16 team . That was really weird to me..On the other hand, USU brings back almost everybody from their tourney team..

USU should be the best MW team EVER next season. :):)

We also thought Lindsey Drew would be back, the transfers were an upgrade and Muss would play Jordan Brown. It wasn’t outlandish, at one point they were 24-1 I believe and that included throttling Utah St.

For whatever reason it just fell apart, maybe it was bench usage, maybe overrated, lockeroom issues, pressure, who knows.

As I said before Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. Good luck Utah St

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

They should be very good, but they’ll have plenty of weaknesses. Last year’s team wasn’t particularly athletic and the point guard play was inconsistent. But I agree, they should be the odds-on favorites. 

I want to see what Jordan Brown decides before I figure out my pecking order from there, though.

Yeah,  It is really hard to say how Nevada will be until Brown decides what he is going to do.  The guards and wings look great but the frontline is just a big question mark at the moment.

59 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

We also thought Lindsey Drew would be back, the transfers were an upgrade and Muss would play Jordan Brown. It wasn’t outlandish, at one point they were 24-1 I believe and that included throttling Utah St.

For whatever reason it just fell apart, maybe it was bench usage, maybe overrated, lockeroom issues, pressure, who knows.

As I said before Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. Good luck Utah St

The Jordan Brown thing still bugs me. 

11 hours ago, Jaredcg said:

I have heard all sorts of "insider info" when the season started to stall out and after it ended.I don't think they were over-rated but your other three reasons plus possible fatigue I believe loomed large. Bottom line is was a fun ride most of the season and I'll take one like that again anytime. A sold out Lawlor,National press coverage, almost every game on TV. 

6 hours ago, westfan said:

I have heard all sorts of "insider info" when the season started to stall out and after it ended.I don't think they were over-rated but your other three reasons plus possible fatigue I believe loomed large. Bottom line is was a fun ride most of the season and I'll take one like that again anytime. A sold out Lawlor,National press coverage, almost every game on TV. 

What was the insider info? C’mon the season has been long over and Musselman is gone. 

On 5/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, soupslam1 said:

Regarding USU they have the components of an outstanding team except at point guard. Merrill is a great two guard, but not a point guard. It’s the only potential weakness I see. Im not sure who they recruited, but if they can fill the point guard spot, they will be an outstanding team, possibly top ten to twenty range. Unlike the Pack of last year which weren’t a very good shooting team, the Aggies have very good shooters. And even though they aren’t the most athletic team they play excellent team defense. Plus, they have the enforcer Queta under the basket. 

It will be good to see the Spectrum rocking again after some down attendance years. I’ll have to get my daughter, who attends USU, to get me some seats for the Boise State-USU game. 

It would be great if a USU fan could give us a position by position breakdown of next years team including strengths and weaknesses, and quality of depth off the bench. 

As for strengths and weaknesses, I would say the strength is going to be depth and team defense. Yes, there are several players that can light up the scoreboard but this team will go as far as its defense takes it. It is a surprisingly big team with tons of length which should help with being a top defensive team. I remember a time when our center was 6'-6", now we have guards that height! so crazy! We lost Quinn Taylor and Dwayne Brown Jr. to graduation, Tuariawn Knight transferred, and another reserve, Ben Fakira, decided to go back home to Australia. Of that group, Taylor's production is the biggest need to fill but there are multiple new additions that should more than cover it.

Weaknesses would include some depth a PG. Some may argue that Merrill is a decent enough backup at PG but the problem is that it would be nice to get that guy some rest instead of having him play PG for a few minutes while the starting PG gets a break. I also don't believe we have an elite ball handler or drive and dish type PG on the roster. We have guys that can create their own shot or create for others but not a quick PG that can go past his man and penetrate the lane with any sort of consistency. Conversely not having that quick PG poses problems when we face teams with multiple quick athletic guards that like to attack. Queta eliminates the possibility of going all the way to the rim for easy buckets but we get killed on drive and kickout situations.

My best shot at the depth chart:

• Center - Neemias Queta, Jakub Karwowski, Klay Stall
    • Neemias Queta- SO, 6'-11", 240 - I think most are familiar with his work
    • Jakub "Kuba" Karwowski - JR, 7'-2", 230 - New JC transfer. Was signed as insurance in case Queta stayed in the draft. Looks to be very mobile and quick for his size, runs the floor well and tries to dunk every time he gets his hands on the ball anywhere in the lane. Will play immediately as a backup since he has no redshirt available.
    • Klay Stall - JR, 6'-10", 240 - been at USU since 2016 and has experienced multiple injuries. Also missed his entire SR year of HS due to injury. He has shown talent in his brief time on the court but getting anything out of Stall at this point is just frosting.
  • PF - Justin Bean, Liam McChesney, Roche Grootfaam
    • Justin Bean - SO, 6'-7", 215 - A former walk-on that earned a scholarship mid-season last year. He brings lots of energy and seems to have a nose for the ball with his ability to rebound and get put back baskets. He doesn't look like an athlete at all but he is super quick off the floor and surprises people with his leaping ability. He even won the team dunk contest last year.
    • Liam McChesney - FR, 6'-9", 195 - McChesney is one of two signed freshman that are creating a buzz and have Aggie fans excited. McChesney is the #1 rated HS player in Canada. He can spread the floor with the ability to shoot from deep or drive to the rim. He moves very well and has a game that more matches a traditional combo guard, but in a 6'-9" frame. Rumor is that USU coaches have made comments about Liam already being the best shooter on the team the moment he steps foot on campus.
    • Roche Grootfaam - JR, 6'-8", 250 - Grootfaam was a JC signee last season but sat out due to an ACL injury suffered during the NCJAA championship game. Not known for scoring, but is a good rebounder and shot blocker, he's very strong, and has the body to bang down low.
  • SF - Brock Miller, Alphonso Anderson, Diogo Brito, Sean Bairstow
    • Brock Miller - SO, 6'-6", 205 - Obviously Miller's game is the 3 point shot, he took more than any freshman in USU history and made the second most ever. I would not say he is an elite shooter but has the potential to get there if he can eliminate being streaky and become more consistent. He's not really a factor on the boards and plays like he does not like contact. His defense improved as the season went on but he could still use some work in that department too.
    • Alphonso Anderson - JR, 6'-7", 230 - Anderson is a new JC transfer. He can do a little of everything, he can score in bunches, he can rebound, he can play outside but is also comfortable with his back to the basket, and he can defend multiple positions. He is similar to Bean in that he can fill up a stat sheet but not be the main focus at either end of the court.
    • Diogo Brito, SR, 6-5", 205 - Brito really came into his own last season and improved in so many ways. He will likely spend more time at the 2 than here at the 3 but he is capable of playing the 1, 2, or 3. He is a player that can knock down the 3, is a gifted passer, and is serviceable at being the main ball handler.
    • Sean Bairstow, FR, 6'-8", 185 - Bairstow is the younger brother of former Lobo Cam Bairstow and is the other freshman Aggie fans are excited about. His game appears to be very different from Cam's. Sean is a true combo guard that can score in all sorts of ways and is an excellent passer. Coaches have also commented on how good of a rebounder he is and I would expect him to be able to eventually play the 1, 2, or 3 as needed.
  • SG - Sam Merrill, Diogo Brito, Brock Miller, Sean Bairstow
    • Sam Merrill - SR, 6'-5", 205 - he's a bum (just seeing if you're still reading)
  • PG - Abel Porter, Sam Merrill, Diogo Brito, Sean Bairstow
    • Abel Porter - JR, 6'-3", 195 - Former walk-on that earned a scholarship mid-season along with Bean last year. A couple of years ago if you would have told me that the walk-on guy at the end of the bench that looks like he could be the equipment manager would eventually be our starting PG I would have told you our program was in big trouble. Porter and Bean were both surprises as walk-ons but because of the amount of time he is on the court and how much he handles the ball, I would say Porter has been the most pleasant surprise. Porter hit some big shots and his confidence increased as the season wore on.
  • Scholarships left = 1

22 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

As for strengths and weaknesses, I would say the strength is going to be depth and team defense. Yes, there are several players that can light up the scoreboard but this team will go as far as its defense takes it. It is a surprisingly big team with tons of length which should help with being a top defensive team. I remember a time when our center was 6'-6", now we have guards that height! so crazy! We lost Quinn Taylor and Dwayne Brown Jr. to graduation, Tuariawn Knight transferred, and another reserve, Ben Fakira, decided to go back home to Australia. Of that group, Taylor's production is the biggest need to fill but there are multiple new additions that should more than cover it.

Weaknesses would include some depth a PG. Some may argue that Merrill is a decent enough backup at PG but the problem is that it would be nice to get that guy some rest instead of having him play PG for a few minutes while the starting PG gets a break. I also don't believe we have an elite ball handler or drive and dish type PG on the roster. We have guys that can create their own shot or create for others but not a quick PG that can go past his man and penetrate the lane with any sort of consistency. Conversely not having that quick PG poses problems when we face teams with multiple quick athletic guards that like to attack. Queta eliminates the possibility of going all the way to the rim for easy buckets but we get killed on drive and kickout situations.

• Jakub "Kuba" Karwowski - JR, 7'-2", 230 - New JC transfer. Was signed as insurance in case Queta stayed in the draft. Looks to be very mobile and quick for his size, runs the floor well and tries to dunk every time he gets his hands on the ball anywhere in the lane. Will play immediately as a backup since he has no redshirt available.
    • Klay Stall - JR, 6'-10", 240 - been at USU since 2016 and has experienced multiple injuries. Also missed his entire SR year of HS due to injury. He has shown talent in his brief time on the court but getting anything out of Stall at this point is just frosting.
    • Justin Bean - SO, 6'-7", 215 - A former walk-on that earned a scholarship mid-season last year. He brings lots of energy and seems to have a nose for the ball with his ability to rebound and get put back baskets. He doesn't look like an athlete at all but he is super quick off the floor and surprises people with his leaping ability. He even won the team dunk contest last year.
    • Liam McChesney - FR, 6'-9", 195 - McChesney is one of two signed freshman that are creating a buzz and have Aggie fans excited. McChesney is the #1 rated HS player in Canada. He can spread the floor with the ability to shoot from deep or drive to the rim. He moves very well and has a game that more matches a traditional combo guard, but in a 6'-9" frame. Rumor is that USU coaches have made comments about Liam already being the best shooter on the team the moment he steps foot on campus.
    • Roche Grootfaam - JR, 6'-8", 250 - Grootfaam was a JC signee last season but sat out due to an ACL injury suffered during the NCJAA championship game. Not known for scoring, but is a good rebounder and shot blocker, he's very strong, and has the body to bang down low.
    • Brock Miller - SO, 6'-6", 205 - Obviously Miller's game is the 3 point shot, he took more than any freshman in USU history and made the second most ever. I would not say he is an elite shooter but has the potential to get there if he can eliminate being streaky and become more consistent. He's not really a factor on the boards and plays like he does not like contact. His defense improved as the season went on but he could still use some work in that department too.
    • Alphonso Anderson - JR, 6'-7", 230 - Anderson is a new JC transfer. He can do a little of everything, he can score in bunches, he can rebound, he can play outside but is also comfortable with his back to the basket, and he can defend multiple positions. He is similar to Bean in that he can fill up a stat sheet but not be the main focus at either end of the court.
    • Diogo Brito, SR, 6-5", 205 - Brito really came into his own last season and improved in so many ways. He will likely spend more time at the 2 than here at the 3 but he is capable of playing the 1, 2, or 3. He is a player that can knock down the 3, is a gifted passer, and is serviceable at being the main ball handler.
    • Sean Bairstow, FR, 6'-8", 185 - Bairstow is the younger brother of former Lobo Cam Bairstow and is the other freshman Aggie fans are excited about. His game appears to be very different from Cam's. Sean is a true combo guard that can score in all sorts of ways and is an excellent passer. Coaches have also commented on how good of a rebounder he is and I would expect him to be able to eventually play the 1, 2, or 3 as needed.
    • Sam Merrill - SR, 6'-5", 205 - he's a bum (just seeing if you're still reading)
    • Abel Porter - JR, 6'-3", 195 - Former walk-on that earned a scholarship mid-season along with Bean last year. A couple of years ago if you would have told me that the walk-on guy at the end of the bench that looks like he could be the equipment manager would eventually be our starting PG I would have told you our program was in big trouble. Porter and Bean were both surprises as walk-ons but because of the amount of time he is on the court and how much he handles the ball, I would say Porter has been the most pleasant surprise. Porter hit some big shots and his confidence increased as the season wore on.
  • Scholarships left = 1

Very nice write-up. Rumor is Smith and staff are looking at potentially getting a high profile transfer that may have to sit a year instead of using the scholly for someone this year. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

30 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

• Scholarships left = 1

I don't see how anybody can argue that this won't be the best MW team ever..Anything less than a final 4 slot would have to be considered a colossal failure..

9 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I don't see how anybody can argue that this won't be the best MW team ever..Anything less than a final 4 slot would have to be considered a colossal failure..

ISWYDT.. difference between this USU's team and Nevada's last year is Nevada made a sweet 16 run the year before and was expected to at least equal that achievement given that they were returning everybody. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Do you think USU had a better team than Nevada last year?  I do..

Nevada returned only 3 players from the Sweet 16 team.

Utah State returns 6 of their top 8 players..

No I don't. I do think USU played better when it mattered most, though. 

That's an excuse. Most of the contributors, save for Trey Porter and Jordan Brown, had been with the program for two years. Nevada should have had better results with the talent they had.

This is speculation of course. But if those eight players were on Nevada's roster last year, only two of them would have ever made it onto the court.

Nevada was good..They won 29 games..The notion that their season was a failure is silly..

However, you can only be as good as you are.  The Pack did not shoot well.  That meant that they had to change their offense from the year before.  

There were injuries too..Muss didn't trust his bench so guys played big minutes with their injuries..

I think where USU was better was they had a couple of stars and the rest of the team had lots of inter-changeable parts. There was not much drop of talent between their 3 and 9th best players..

Muss had 5 guys he liked and trusted.  The twins, Caroline, Thurman and Jazz..Porter did not play all that many minutes and Muss just never gave Brown much run at all..

The team was top heavy with not much behind that.

But!!!! They won 29 games, they got an at large bid and ended up in the top 25..Are there any schools here that wouldn't exchange their record last year with the Pack?

On 5/31/2019 at 4:26 PM, nvspuds said:

Nevada was good..They won 29 games..The notion that their season was a failure is silly..

However, you can only be as good as you are.  The Pack did not shoot well.  That meant that they had to change their offense from the year before.  

There were injuries too..Muss didn't trust his bench so guys played big minutes with their injuries..

I think where USU was better was they had a couple of stars and the rest of the team had lots of inter-changeable parts. There was not much drop of talent between their 3 and 9th best players..

Muss had 5 guys he liked and trusted.  The twins, Caroline, Thurman and Jazz..Porter did not play all that many minutes and Muss just never gave Brown much run at all..

The team was top heavy with not much behind that.

But!!!! They won 29 games, they got an at large bid and ended up in the top 25..Are there any schools here that wouldn't exchange their record last year with the Pack?

Despite the final record, I think the Nevada season was a failure as everyone thought they would run away with the MWC championship. They didn’t and then they lost in the MWC tournament.

Setting the above aside, my preseason feeling was the regular season for Nevada was just a warmup for the big event. The post season NCAA tournament was what really mattered. Given the Sweet 16 appearance from last year and entering the tournament with all seniors, I expected at least a repeat of last year. To get bounced in the first round by a hohum Florida team IMO was a big disappointment. 

On 5/31/2019 at 1:01 PM, TrueAg said:

• Scholarships left = 1

Thanks for the rundown. I still think the addition of a quick PG that could break down defenses would move USU from a very good team to a great team. I’m shocked Smith didn’t recruit a grad transfer or JC PG. There were a number of guys out there to be had. 

The biggest concern for this team IMO is the lack of overall athleticism. That contrast was shown in the NCAA game with an athletic UW team. 

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Despite the final record, I think the Nevada season was a failure as everyone thought they would run away with the MWC championship. They didn’t and then they lost in the MWC tournament.

Setting the above aside, my preseason feeling was the regular season for Nevada was just a warmup for the big event. The post season NCAA tournament was what really mattered. Given the Sweet 16 appearance from last year and entering the tournament with all seniors, I expected at least a repeat of last year. To get bounced in the first round by a hohum Florida team IMO was a big disappointment. 

If Boise had the identical season you would have been delighted..Nevada returned 3 guys from the Sweet 16 team.  It was a new team.  The weren't as good.  Still, it was a nice run during the Muss years and I have no complaints..

Now we will see what Alford can do.

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I would argue that a season is never a failure if a team earns an NCAA At-large.

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I would argue that a season is never a failure if a team earns an NCAA At-large.

I don’t think Nevada lived up to preseason expectations. They had a great record, but they didn’t win the games that mattered. And yes as a Boise State fan I would have been ecstatic, but we have no expectations in basketball. It’s kind of like if we go 9-3 or 10-2 in football, but don’t win the conference and lose a bowl game, it’s a disappointing season.