Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Fresno Grizzlies Played This Memorial Day Tribute Video

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

That’s a fair statement. But that’s not what she released in her FAQ that was sent out by her chief of staff. 

So are you going to get hung up on that forever, or.....?

FYI, AOC admitted the GND rollout was botched.  From the get-go, this was a non-binding resolution meant to start a discussion.  It sounds like you don't even want that.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

So are you going to get hung up on that forever, or.....?

FYI, AOC admitted the GND rollout was botched.  From the get-go, this was a non-binding resolution meant to start a discussion.  It sounds like you don't even want that.

I’m all for having the discussion. But my first question is how will we pay for it?  I’m 100% against all deficit spending so adding more debt is a non-starter for me. And adding new taxes, as I demonstrated earlier, won’t increase revenue to the needed levels.  So how do we pay for it?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

That’s a fair statement. But that’s not what she released in her FAQ that was sent out by her chief of staff. 

Also, to be fair, I didn't read the GND lol.

Just now, mugtang said:

I’m all for having the discussion. But my first question is how will we pay for it?  I’m 100% all deficit spending so adding more debt is a non-starter for me. And adding new taxes, as I demonstrated earlier, won’t increase revenue to the needed levels.  So how do we pay for it?

Funny how this question never gets asked when we authorize $10 B in funding for tanks or F-23s the military doesn't want.

We do it by cutting defense spending, increasing taxes, etc.  We're the richest country in the world, and we have to do this.  Believe it or not, it's a bigger threat to our way of life than any world war we've faced.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

Funny how this question never gets asked when we authorize $10 B in funding for tanks or F-23s the military doesn't want.

We do it by cutting defense spending, increasing taxes, etc.  We're the richest country in the world, and we have to do this.  Believe it or not, it's a bigger threat to our way of life than any world war we've faced.

I’ve said we need to cut defense spending. I’ve called for across the board spending cuts.  I laugh at the GOP and their hypocrisy when it comes to deficit spending. But, as I said earlier, you’re never going to collect more than 20% of GDP as tax revenue. So raising taxes won’t generate the trillions needed to enact this plan.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I’m all for having the discussion. But my first question is how will we pay for it?  I’m 100% against all deficit spending so adding more debt is a non-starter for me. And adding new taxes, as I demonstrated earlier, won’t increase revenue to the needed levels.  So how do we pay for it?

I like this approach the dems seem to be framing taking on these ambitious projects, that is by unashamedly saying it's going on the cc, just like everything else.  Repubs have a way of framing their spending as not being debt, it's just normal like groceries, while dem stuff is all new 60 inch tvs and eating at restaurants.  But we all know we can't afford any of it, and it's time to change that perception.

5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I’ve said we need to cut defense spending. I’ve called for across the board spending cuts.  I laugh at the GOP and their hypocrisy when it comes to deficit spending. But, as I said earlier, you’re never going to collect more than 20% of GDP as tax revenue. So raising taxes won’t generate the trillions needed to enact this plan.

I don't think you're the final authority on that.  Inequality in this country has NEVER been higher, and the wealth tax would very easily bridge the gap.  Whether or not you like a wealth tax is irrelevant, but it would fund much of what we're talking about.

6 minutes ago, Orange said:

I don't think you're the final authority on that.  Inequality in this country has NEVER been higher, and the wealth tax would very easily bridge the gap.  Whether or not you like a wealth tax is irrelevant, but it would fund much of what we're talking about.

Well, historically we’ve never collected more than 20% of GDP in tax revenue so I don’t see why that would change with any of the new taxes proposed by the Democratic candidates.  And no, a wealth tax would not even come close to funding the GND.  Estimates are a wealth tax would generate $2.75 trillion over an entire decade, or $275 billion a year.  Possibly.  That’s not enough to pay for Medicare for all or rebuilding the infrastructure, etc.  That wouldn’t even cover our current budget deficit. 

Just now, mugtang said:

Well, historically we’ve never collected more than 20% of GDP in tax revenue so I don’t see why that would change with any of the new taxes proposed by the Democratic candidates.  And no, a wealth tax would not even come close to funding the GND.  Estimates are a wealth tax would generate $2.75 trillion over an entire decade, or $275 billion a year.  Possibly.  That’s not enough to pay for Medicare for all or rebuilding the infrastructure, etc.  That wouldn’t even cover our current budget deficit. 

Just because I mentioned that single tax plan doesn't mean it's the only method for producing the revenue needed to fund the GND.  Man you love to pick nits rather than search for solutions, don't you?

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

Just because I mentioned that single tax plan doesn't mean it's the only method for producing the revenue needed to fund the GND.  Man you love to pick nits rather than search for solutions, don't you?

I like to deal in facts not fantasy.  The GND would cost $91 trillion over a decade.  That’s $9.1 trillion a year in additional new spending on top of our current spending including the trillions in unfunded liabilities we have. So we’re talking what, 13 trillion a year in government spending?  Our GDP is $20 trillion.  There’s no way to generate the revenue needed to pay for that kind of spending plan. And if we just turn on the printing presses to pay for that it’ll lead to hyper inflation which will eventually lead to the collapse of the economy and possible the entire country.  So I’m sorry for being nit picky and asking how we’re going to pay for $9 trillion in new annual spending. :shrug:

18 hours ago, retrofade said:

I don't care who you are and what you think of her, this is some pretty +++++ed up shit.

Poor baby. Everyone in the political biz has stalkers and has death threats all the time. Yes, it's horrible, but she needs to get used to it, and stop crying. Sometimes politicians will even go play softball and a crazy left winger comes along and tries to kill them all. Everyone that's inflamatory and controversial in their views becomes a target. That's sadly where we are in 2019. But her incomprehensivly stupid remarks that right wingers and Fox are responsible for her threats is par for the course with her. WTF does she think MSNBC and CNN do to the GOP 24/7 365? Imagine if she were a Republican, she'd be having rally's outside both networks to call for censorship and to shut these networks down. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

I like to deal in facts not fantasy.  The GND would cost $91 trillion over a decade.  That’s $9.1 trillion a year in additional new spending on top of our current spending including the trillions in unfunded liabilities we have. So we’re talking what, 13 trillion a year in government spending?  Our GDP is $20 trillion.  There’s no way to generate the revenue needed to pay for that kind of spending plan. And if we just turn on the printing presses to pay for that it’ll lead to hyper inflation which will eventually lead to the collapse of the economy and possible the entire country.  So I’m sorry for being nit picky and asking how we’re going to pay for $9 trillion in new annual spending. :shrug:

I don't even think any of the authors of the GND expect that this plan would be implemented.  It's a resolution; an aspirational goal.  People are so incensed by it, and yet no other ideas are being proffered.  Do you really doubt we're killing the planet through fossil fuel usage? If not, then you're simply uneducated.  If so, then you know that something LIKE the proposals in the GND need to be seriously considered.

11 minutes ago, Orange said:

I don't even think any of the authors of the GND expect that this plan would be implemented.  It's a resolution; an aspirational goal.  People are so incensed by it, and yet no other ideas are being proffered.  Do you really doubt we're killing the planet through fossil fuel usage? If not, then you're simply uneducated.  If so, then you know that something LIKE the proposals in the GND need to be seriously considered.

We've clearly moved away from the most important lesson in all this.

Fresno is for dumb people.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

One Fresno Grizzlies sponsor stays in:

http://www.kmjnow.com/2019/05/30/sun-maid-raisin-dos-equis-end-partnerships-over-ocasio-cortez-video-at-fresno-grizzlies-game/

Fresno Grizzlies “Made An Honest Mistake” Over Ocasio-Cortez Video

“Sounds to me like they made an honest mistake and they apologized, the Major League Baseball and their Wild About Reading program have thrilled children up and down this valley for many, many years. GAR has no intention of abandoning a good, long-time friend over one mistake.” Greg Musson/President & CEO of GAR

The Grizzlies had apologized Tuesday for the mistake, and said the employee who was responsible for selecting the video was “reprimanded” and there was no political motivation behind the choice of video.

The 3 1/2 minute video is called “Memorial Day Tribute We Are Americans,” with sound from President Ronald Reagan’s first inaugural speech.

At one point in the video it showed a montage about American enemies and used a photo of Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in the video’s montage between images of Korea’s Kim Jong Un and Cuba’s Fidel Castro.

The mistake caused a storm on social media with some incorrectly commenting that the team should have never produced the video – which Franks said they didn’t but instead pulled it off YouTube without screening the entire clip.

“Obviously, we’re remorseful and sad that we took a meaningful day like Memorial Day and had a — a mistake like this was made,” said GM Derek Franks.

110926run_defense710.jpg