Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheTedfordTrain

Article: Would The Mountain West Really Be Better Off Without San Jose State?

6 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

If BiS mattered to the MWC commish, Prezs and ADs, it would have been made apparent already. Clearly, that is not a significant factor in their decisions. Dumb issue to keep bringing up constantly.

Well I know it clearly doesn't matter to the AD and President at SJSU. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

On 5/27/2019 at 7:42 AM, Cincy said:

sjm-sjsuad-0520-06.jpg?w=620

What is it that you're implying with this image. You constantly bring upload it. Are you saying females are incapable D1 leaders? U of Washington has female leadership at in the Presdient's Office and Ath Department.

image.png.131e0982380f04e004259b0480916b3d.png

image.png.1e4674d535c73bce03b6ef122e095895.png

Just now, RogueStout said:

Well I know it clearly doesn't matter to the AD and President at SJSU. 

Ouch. Good one. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

If I was SJSU, I'd prefer joining the WAC over the Big West.  

Honestly, I think the WAC has more upside right now.

That may be true and I've considered the possibility of SDSU rejoining the WAC for its Olys if the Aztecs were to go independent in football. However, SDSU could afford to pay for its Olys to travel to Kansas City and Chicago whereas SAN!!! could not.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, SleepingGiantsFan said:

That may be true and I've considered the possibility of SDSU rejoining the WAC for its Olys if the Aztecs were to go independent in football. However, SDSU could afford to pay for its Olys to travel to Kansas City and Chicago whereas SAN!!! could not.

The WAC needs to find a way to dump Chicago State and UMKC, both of which probably are a better fit in the Summit League.   They are outliers.

Texas Rio Grand Valley is also a terrible school, but I think they need to keep them.

SDSU is probably way above the WAC, though.   I mean, the WAC just added Dixie State in St. George.   Don't get me wrong, Dixie is a fun, upcoming school, but SDSU is way above them.

I think if SDSU went Indy, that SDSU should try and petition to the Big12 for non-football membership.  Maybe even the WCC.   SDSU is in a bad spot, though, as there aren't any other options than maybe the Big West.

12 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

What is it that you're implying with this image. You constantly bring upload it. Are you saying females are incapable D1 leaders? U of Washington has female leadership at in the Presdient's Office and Ath Department.

I’m implying and flat out saying that Sharta sucks ballz. 

1 minute ago, Cincy said:

Except, you're not saying that flat out thru that image, but keep trying.

22 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The WAC needs to find a way to dump Chicago State and UMKC, both of which probably are a better fit in the Summit League.   They are outliers.

Texas Rio Grand Valley is also a terrible school, but I think they need to keep them.

SDSU is probably way above the WAC, though.   I mean, the WAC just added Dixie State in St. George.   Don't get me wrong, Dixie is a fun, upcoming school, but SDSU is way above them.

I think if SDSU went Indy, that SDSU should try and petition to the Big12 for non-football membership.  Maybe even the WCC.   SDSU is in a bad spot, though, as there aren't any other options than maybe the Big West.

The B12 wouldn't take SDSU for just its Olys if only because, ND excepted, POWER conference don't take schools without football.

If the WCC cared about profits, it would take SDSU in a heartbeat. However, my sense is the WCC is happy being a non-football playing conference for private schools.

But you're correct that the WAC looks to be no better choice for SDSU than the Big West and the latter boat has sailed.

So I actually think football independence isn't a good move for SDSU as things stand now. Rather, in order to get out from under a grossly mismanaged MWC which includes Craig Thompson and his front range supporters, the best move would be the one I've suggested over the last year or so: creation of a Left Coast conference with the other members of the MWC West not named San Jose State plus Utah State and a couple Texas schools assuming BYU and Boise wouldn't be interested in joining.

BTW, who is that in your new avatar?

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The B12 wouldn't take SDSU for just its Olys if only because, ND excepted, POWER conference don't take schools without football.

If the WCC cared about profits, it would take SDSU in a heartbeat. However, my sense is the WCC is happy being a non-football playing conference for private schools.

But you're correct that the WAC looks to be no better choice for SDSU than the Big West and the latter boat has sailed.

So I actually think football independence isn't a good move for SDSU as things stand now. Rather, in order to get out from under a grossly mismanaged MWC which includes Craig Thompson and his front range supporters, the best move would be the one I've suggested over the last year or so: creation of a Left Coast conference with the other members of the MWC West not named San Jose State plus Utah State and a couple Texas schools assuming BYU and Boise wouldn't be interested in joining.

Current Governor of Idaho.   I get a kick out of how Idaho politicians all dress up as Cowboys.  (kind of like the Iowa primaries, where Presidential candidates dress up in jeans and belt buckles).

Yeah...  SDSU is probably screwed, and needs to invest in making the MWC better.   Many schools in the MWC will never have SDSU's budget or fan following, though.

21 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Except, you're not saying that flat out thru that image, but keep trying.

24 minutes ago, Cincy said:

You’re a fan of the country’s shittiest athletic department AND you can’t read, lol. 

Congrats dumb ass. 

Don't make me laugh, stunner, SDSU isn't going to invest in making the MWC better nor is the MWC ever going to BE better.

This subject of this thread is SJSU and the ridiculous decision to add that school - which reputedly came after the iconic Craig Thompson visited its campus and was convinced by SJSU that it was serious about dramatic improvements to its facilities, none of which have come to pass nor did that or does that matter.

Craig "Hair" Thompson: The commissioner who saved SJSU from relegation to FCS status, which remains inevitable anyway, and who simultaneously accelerated his conference's demise by convincing his bosses, the majority of whom refuse to replace him, that adding SJSU was a good idea.

Boom goes the dynamite.

52 minutes ago, Cincy said:

You’re a fan of the country’s shittiest athletic department AND you can’t read, lol. 

Congrats dumb ass. 

Oh the audacity here. Go back and re-read what I replied, pendejo.

2 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Oh the audacity here. Go back and re-read what I replied, pendejo.

Phuck you’re dumb. 

Makes sense a dumb ass would be a Sharta fan. 

21 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

As SalinasSpartan points out, there’s no room at the Big West inn.  The CSUB addition proved (to my surprise, I’ll admit) that balancing the number of UC and CSU members really matters to the Big West presidents, and there’s no UC school available to join the conference to balance an SJSU addition.  If SJSU were to leave the MWC its only realistic option would be to join the WAC.

In theory - I'll say again, in theory - if SJSU announced before July 2020 (when CSUB is scheduled to join) that they were open to reuniting with the Big West, do you think it would move to pull back CSUB's invite and opt for SJSU instead? 

The UCs and Hawaii would find SJSU much more acceptable than CSUB In this hypothetical scenario and as a bonus, the Big West is bringing back a former charter member following the 50th anniversary of its founding. The UC / Cal State balance remains intact. All boxes checked off.

PS for @Bruininthebay , @CPslograd and@SleepingGiantsFan - this scenario also potentially opens the door for Big West football to return, albeit as an FCS conference. Right off the bat you're 2/3 of the way there with SJSU, Cal Poly, UC Davis and future D1 member Dixie State (fb-only, other sports WAC).  Tab Portland State as full member #12 and say, USD as another fb-only member and viola.  Big West FCS auto bid with a presence in the PNW, the Mountain West sheds an RPI anchor.  Everyone wins.

22 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

In theory - I'll say again, in theory - if SJSU announced before July 2020 (when CSUB is scheduled to join) that they were open to reuniting with the Big West, do you think it would move to pull back CSUB's invite and opt for SJSU instead? 

The UCs and Hawaii would find SJSU much more acceptable than CSUB In this hypothetical scenario and as a bonus, the Big West is bringing back a former charter member following the 50th anniversary of its founding. The UC / Cal State balance remains intact. All boxes checked off.

PS for @Bruininthebay , @CPslograd and@SleepingGiantsFan - this scenario also potentially opens the door for Big West football to return, albeit as an FCS conference. Right off the bat you're 2/3 of the way there with SJSU, Cal Poly, UC Davis and future D1 member Dixie State (fb-only, other sports WAC).  Tab Portland State as full member #12 and say, USD as another fb-only member and viola.  Big West FCS auto bid with a presence in the PNW, the Mountain West sheds an RPI anchor.  Everyone wins.

The fact that the Big West stated Bakersfield didn't meet the criteria of a Big West member when Hawaii was joined and then when UCSD was invited before Bakersfield (objectively not exceeding Bako on any metric of athletic department quality) did not create a requirement that an equal number of UC and Cal State campuses are members of the Big West.

SJSU would be welcomed as the twelfth member of the Big West.  The curious logic you use presumes that the Big West would rather have eleven members than twelve and that is usually seen as an optimum number of schools.

It would make the Big West look even more small time than it is now for it to rescind an already granted invitation to a school.  Those institutions all have people running them with the good sense to understand there is no purpose in being snobby about Bakersfield.

From the SJSU board:

Let's face it, most of the MWC members are relatively equal university institutions; some having won in athletics a little more than others, others slightly higher in academic status. Most are state universities that are not in power 5 conferences, and, given this level of competition, facilities are slightly better at some of the schools than others; but each has a unique financial status source ( i.e., most have state/other government sources willing to fund athletic facility improvements periodically; contrary to California, which virtually never funds San Jose State athletic facility improvements, necessitating private contributions. How many of these other institutions would improve their facilities if they had to rely on securing their own financial contributions?). Over time, most of the schools show some athletic success, then slip a little, and slowly climb back up. Perhaps, the question to be raised should be: " Would San Jose State be better off without the MWC?".......

Regarding what the guy says early on, my comment is "What?"

The numbers show that since joining the MWC, SJSU has been abysmal in almost every sport. You folks reading this know that but apparently some Spartans don't or are in denial about it. As to academic status (not that I think that means much to non-power conferences), SJSU is literally not even in the same USNWR category as Colorado State, SDSU, Nevada, Wyoming, Hawaii and probably a couple other members of the MWC. With respect to "financial status source," whatever that is, SJSU gets the same funding from the CSU chancellor's office as do SDSU and Fresno State but despite having relatively well-earning graduates, compared to those other two CSU campuses, SJSU doesn't get diddly squat in donations from its alumni.

As to that poster's final question, assuming SJSU fans (such as they are) want to see winning sports teams and have their school help pull their conference's cart rather than do nothing more than just ride in it, my answer is a resounding "Yes!"

/s/ What the SJSU board poster who followed that one referred to as one of the MWC board's clowns

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Who are these Front Range supporters of Hair you continually refer to? If you are counting Wyoming in that mix, you would be doing so in error.

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Don't make me laugh, stunner, SDSU isn't going to invest in making the MWC better nor is the MWC ever going to BE better.

This subject of this thread is SJSU and the ridiculous decision to add that school - which reputedly came after the iconic Craig Thompson visited its campus and was convinced by SJSU that it was serious about dramatic improvements to its facilities, none of which have come to pass nor did that or does that matter.

Craig "Hair" Thompson: The commissioner who saved SJSU from relegation to FCS status, which remains inevitable anyway, and who simultaneously accelerated his conference's demise by convincing his bosses, the majority of whom refuse to replace him, that adding SJSU was a good idea.

None of which have come to pass?  How about the new Softball Complex?  The new Golf Complex? The new Soccer Complex?  The new Beach Complex?  The new Tennis Complex?  The new Aquatic Facility? All within the last two years.....Also, groundbreaking for the new $45 Million dollar Football Operations Center and East Side Stadium renovation will be next week....Choose what you want to believe......

4 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

The fact that the Big West stated Bakersfield didn't meet the criteria of a Big West member when Hawaii was joined and then when UCSD was invited before Bakersfield (objectively not exceeding Bako on any metric of athletic department quality) did not create a requirement that an equal number of UC and Cal State campuses are members of the Big West.

SJSU would be welcomed as the twelfth member of the Big West.  The curious logic you use presumes that the Big West would rather have eleven members than twelve and that is usually seen as an optimum number of schools.

It would make the Big West look even more small time than it is now for it to rescind an already granted invitation to a school.  Those institutions all have people running them with the good sense to understand there is no purpose in being snobby about Bakersfield.

What created that requirement of an equal balance was The Cal State's did not let UCSD in without another Cal State coming along as well.  That's the only reason Bakersfield, who was shunned for 14 years, got an invite. The UCs were desperate to get UCSD in at all costs.  I do give Bakersfield credit for taking advantage of their opportunity but if SJSU or even Sac State voiced their interest, then Bakersfield isn't anywhere close.  

Bruin, I assume two things.  The Big West is passively looking for a 12th member, but also that the equal Cal State / UC balance is to be maintained at all costs -  the UCs will not let another Cal State in and upset the balance.  Hence my steadfast belief the next member will be from outside California.  If SJSU or Sac State want in, one CSU has got to go.