Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

OT: RIP - Bart Starr

Growing up in Milwaukee and attending grade school during most of the 1960's, lots of good memories.  Bart was class, both on and off the field.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26825531/legendary-packers-hof-qb-starr-dies-85

Bart Starr, a Hall of Fame quarterback who helped build the Green Bay Packers dynasty in the 1960s and was named the Most Valuable Player of the first two Super Bowls, died Sunday in Birmingham, Alabama. He was 85.

Starr won an unprecedented five NFL championships as the Packers' starting quarterback, leading the club to titles in 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966 and 1967.

"While he may always be best known for his success as the Packers quarterback for 16 years, his true legacy will always be the respectful manner in which he treated every person he met, his humble demeanor, and his generous spirit."

After losing to the Eagles in the 1960 NFL Championship Game, the Packers never lost another postseason contest with Starr at the helm.

110926run_defense710.jpg

17th Round Draft Pick of Green Bay, quit football as a sophomore in high school, but figured better to play football than work the family garden.

110926run_defense710.jpg

In January 1967 the Green Bay Packers held training camp at UCSB while preparing for Super Bowl 1 vs the Kansas City Chiefs.  Bart Starr got a nice birthday greeting from the locals.

18777719_Screenshot_2019-05-285cead9c51925aimagejpg(JPEGImage1200916pixels)-Scaled(85).thumb.png.e4365420e570216ca198dbbce29507cc.png

# 15 Bart Starr was and still is the best QB Green Bay has ever had. May he rest in peace. https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2016/03/02-6 

Image result for The Ice Bowl

Go Pack Go! 

I hated him when I was a kid because my Cowboys couldn't beat him and the Packers. As I got older I began to appreciate just how good he was as a player and a person.