Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qwelish

UNLV 2019-20 Expectations (2020 recruiting)

UNLV 2019-20 Expectations (2020 recruiting)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins for UNLV in Otzelbergers 1st year?

2 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Yeah, maybe Jenkins. 

Mooring > Jenkins

To be fair, could you imagine JOJO in Totz guard centered offense? I wouldnt mind a Mooring/Jenkins backcourt.

I thought Marv mismanaged Jovan when he moved him off the ball for Jordan Johnson.

They’d be gunning and runnin!

You’re right and it’s shame Mooring never has a solid partner while playing Kris didn’t come into his own until his senior year. And then he had to play with the short guy who wasn’t even trying to pass the ball and that’s the reason he was brought in smh. 

But he shined plenty with the crappy support. Man Christian Jones was just a warm body with a ball iq lmao

Just now, PlayersinVegas said:

They’d be gunning and runnin!

You’re right and it’s shame Mooring never has a solid partner while playing Kris didn’t come into his own until his senior year. And then he had to play with the short guy who wasn’t even trying to pass the ball and that’s the reason he was brought in smh. 

But he shined plenty with the crappy support. Man Christian Jones was just a warm body with a ball iq lmao

Uche Ufegbu or whatever? Talk about a warm body!!?

Marv should have started JOJO from day one over Poysner. 

16 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Uche Ufegbu or whatever? Talk about a warm body!!?

Marv should have started JOJO from day one over Poysner. 

Aye, nah Uche was very decent and should have gotten more touches he was like Juiston dude was like 50% from the floor I think he even went to the gleague.... 

Dude from St.Johns was poo edit: looking back at the numbers he wasn’t that poo but watching the ball slip through his hands and other lil stuff used to piss me off.

its really no comparison so far if we’re comparing their first seasons recruiting 👀 

7 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Aye, nah Uche was very decent and should have gotten more touches he was like Juiston dude was like 50% from the floor I think he even went to the g5.... 

Dude from St.Johns was poo

its really no comparison so far if we’re comparing their first seasons recruiting 👀 

You think so? Well, ill tell you what. The only guys I liked were Baxter, Zion and JoJo from that 1st class.

The rest of them played hard, but just werent UNLV caliber players.

MM also hurt himself by losing Baxter, Anthony Smith and making the decision to not sign Charles Bassey as a 1 and done. He signed JTT instead thinking hed have time to develop him. Very naive decision that cost him his job.

Give me Bassey, Smith and Baxter and I could win the mwc.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, PlayersinVegas said:

Houston coach didn’t leave!

also he’s paid as more than the top coaches in the wac and c-USA and all those little leagues and even mid major leagues as an assistant. Use your critical thinking skills lmao 

But nobody wants him for a HC.  No one wanted him before vegas called and nobody wants him now.  

Marvin just isn't a very good coach.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

But nobody wants him for a HC.  No one wanted him before vegas called and nobody wants him now.  

Marvin just isn't a very good coach.   

It’s cool to have opinions but when you appoint your opinion as fact that’s when it gets dangerous and a person with a fair mind will start to look at you as delusional. You replied to my facts with opinions and passed a judgment based on that opinion lmao wow!!!!!!!

Just remember that....

Anyway I’m glad UNLV is scheduling better schools it’s about money at the end of the day and Id much rather watch UCLA and UNLV vs Pacific lmao!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

It’s cool to have opinions but when you appoint your opinion as fact that’s when it gets dangerous and a person with a fair mind will start to look at you as delusional. You replied to my facts with opinions and passed a judgment based on that opinion lmao wow!!!!!!!

Just remember that....

Anyway I’m glad UNLV is scheduling better schools it’s about money at the end of the day and Id much rather watch UCLA and UNLV vs Pacific lmao!!!!!!

I think you're the one confusing facts and opinions, champ.

You made a ridiculous (for clarification, this is my opinion) statement a few days ago insinuating Marvelously Mediocre Marv was a "real coach" (your opinion), and TJ wasn't.

It is a fact that Marv wasn't shown any interest by any D1 program.  You can say things like we don't know what goes on behind closed doors or whatever.  By this logic, maybe Duke and North Carolina secretly interviewed him and offered him lifetime contracts, but he politely declined.  The FACT is, there were no rumors or anything else out in any press linking Marv to ANY interest from ANY D1 head coaching position.  He interviewed with UC Riverside, who last year finished 7-23 and were a Big West bottom feeder with an RPI over 300, and they said "nah".  That is also a fact, not an opinion, if you are confused.  It's asinine to think that Marv secretly had a lot of offers to be HC at other D1 schools, and none of that got out anywhere.  As far as any of us can reasonably ascertain, there was no interest, even from the UC Riversides of the world.

The argument you presented to support your claim of Marv being a "real coach" is that he took a great offer to be an assistant at Grand Canyon.  It is fact he's making a lot of money to be an assistant there, especially considering they were a mid-tier WAC program last year and he now makes more than several WAC head coaches.  Perhaps if you rephrased your initial comments to say Marv is a "real assistant coach", they would have been more factual.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Here are some more FACTS:

Marv's first 3 years as a HC (at New Mexico State):

21-14 (12-4 WAC) no postseason, 133 NET ranking

17-15 (9-7 WAC) no postseason, 121 NET ranking

22-12 (11-5 WAC) 0-1 NCAA, 57 NET ranking

TJ's first 3 years as a HC (at South Dakota State):

18-17 (8-8 Summit) 0-1 NCAA, 155 NET ranking

28-7 (13-1 Summit) 0-1 NCAA, 44 NET ranking

24-9 (14-2 Summit) 0-1 NIT, 128 NET ranking

I wouldn't say either one is incredibly impressive, but certainly nothing in there to call Marv a "real coach" over TJ

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

25 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I think you're the one confusing facts and opinions, champ.

You made a ridiculous (for clarification, this is my opinion) statement a few days ago insinuating Marvelously Mediocre Marv was a "real coach" (your opinion), and TJ wasn't.

It is a fact that Marv wasn't shown any interest by any D1 program.  You can say things like we don't know what goes on behind closed doors or whatever.  By this logic, maybe Duke and North Carolina secretly interviewed him and offered him lifetime contracts, but he politely declined.  The FACT is, there were no rumors or anything else out in any press linking Marv to ANY interest from ANY D1 head coaching position.  He interviewed with UC Riverside, who last year finished 7-23 and were a Big West bottom feeder with an RPI over 300, and they said "nah".  That is also a fact, not an opinion, if you are confused.  It's asinine to think that Marv secretly had a lot of offers to be HC at other D1 schools, and none of that got out anywhere.  As far as any of us can reasonably ascertain, there was no interest, even from the UC Riversides of the world.

The argument you presented to support your claim of Marv being a "real coach" is that he took a great offer to be an assistant at Grand Canyon.  It is fact he's making a lot of money to be an assistant there, especially considering they were a mid-tier WAC program last year and he now makes more than several WAC head coaches.  Perhaps if you rephrased your initial comments to say Marv is a "real assistant coach", they would have been more factual.

I think you’re talking about Cal Poly, and that wasn’t even a real report it was a rumor. And I won’t talk about anyone’s personal business so I’ll only talk about things that’s been reported in the media. 

It’s not even about being a critical thinker or being smart. It’s common sense. But you don’t pay an assistant coach at a WAC school more than you would a head coach at a school like Fresno State, Or more than any coach in the big sky, pioneer, SWAC,meac, summit league, sun belt, Ohio valley; leagues then it should tell you how competitive the market is and he may be a head coach in waiting for GCU. The metrics is in his favor, I’m speaking in reality not in emotions like you are and the guy who didn’t want to address any of the facts I stated in a post he asked about recruiting in. But you chose to stick your nose in this because you can’t wrap your head around the fact that Marvin has options (you’re personally invested lmao emotional even). Anyway he could have been a head coach at a lot of places but he probably loved the position he will be in at GCU and he’s compensated very well... and trust me that cal poly thing was never a thing the guy that “broke “ the story is a troll kinda like .....

32 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Here are some more FACTS:

Marv's first 3 years as a HC (at New Mexico State):

21-14 (12-4 WAC) no postseason, 133 NET ranking

17-15 (9-7 WAC) no postseason, 121 NET ranking

22-12 (11-5 WAC) 0-1 NCAA, 57 NET ranking

TJ's first 3 years as a HC (at South Dakota State):

18-17 (8-8 Summit) 0-1 NCAA, 155 NET ranking

28-7 (13-1 Summit) 0-1 NCAA, 44 NET ranking

24-9 (14-2 Summit) 0-1 NIT, 128 NET ranking

I wouldn't say either one is incredibly impressive, but certainly nothing in there to call Marv a "real coach" over TJ

Yeah but Marv have few more years on him, rebuild two programs and have had many of his players go on to play professionally. Also if we’re comparing like that, you could say his first year at UNLV had better players come in compared to OTJ first year( but they haven’t played yet so we have to see how these guys turn out).... 

You see how the ratings for NMSU are identical but with fewer wins to losses!?!? It shows how bad the summit league really was!!!! 

30 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

I think you’re talking about Cal Poly, and that wasn’t even a real report it was a rumor. And I won’t talk about anyone’s personal business so I’ll only talk about things that’s been reported in the media. 

It’s not even about being a critical thinker or being smart. It’s common sense. But you don’t pay an assistant coach at a WAC school more than you would a head coach at a school like Fresno State, Or more than any coach in the big sky, pioneer, SWAC,meac, summit league, sun belt, Ohio valley; leagues then it should tell you how competitive the market is and he may be a head coach in waiting for GCU. The metrics is in his favor, I’m speaking in reality not in emotions like you are and the guy who didn’t want to address any of the facts I stated in a post he asked about recruiting in. But you chose to stick your nose in this because you can’t wrap your head around the fact that Marvin has options (you’re personally invested lmao emotional even). Anyway he could have been a head coach at a lot of places but he probably loved the position he will be in at GCU and he’s compensated very well... and trust me that cal poly thing was never a thing the guy that “broke “ the story is a troll kinda like .....

FWIW, unless you show any evidence to support this claim, this is a prime example of an opinion, my friend.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

5 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Just remember that....

Dude, it's a fact  that Marvin can't get a HC job.

The fact that he can't coach may have something to do with it.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Dude, it's a fact  that Marvin can't get a HC job.

The fact that he can't coach may have something to do with it.

I agree and disagree.  Marvin was successful in getting a couple of HC positions in D1.  Marvin's problem from what I see is that he wasn't able to put together a team.  He recruited players but, he just didn't have a system to follow.  Week in and week out I honestly couldn't follow what his game plan was.  He relied on Clyburn to show up and and when he didn't we floundered.  I don't thing Marvin really knew how to form a strategy with the players he had.  With that lack of strategy players couldn't grow and develop a team cohesiveness.   

MM didnt play his most talented guys. He also failed to instill confidence in key young guys. He let them languish on the bench waiting on a next year that would never come. He played worse players because of feel good stories.

He let Baxter and Anthony Smith walk and passed on Bassey to try to develop jtt. He missed on every pg recruit Moore, Williams, Dosunmo, Akinjo, Goldwire, etc. He never fielded a backcourt that could defend and physically impose its will. Highly disappointing recruiting. He even missed on Braxton Huggins who was way better than Clyburn and played for him at nmsu.