Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

56% of Americans believe we shouldn’t teach Arabic Numerals

5 hours ago, sean327 said:

I prefer the metric system, but I'm comfortable operating in both systems.

US customary is better for wood construction - dividing evenly by 3 is a lot more useful than by 5. Really,  just go metric in base 12. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

US customary is better for wood construction - dividing evenly by 3 is a lot more useful than by 5. Really,  just go metric in base 12. 

Not really. It's just a matter of what you're use to. Many European countries and Australia/New Zealand use metric dimensions.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

A good number of us are dumbAF compared to our other post-industrial counterparts.

I used to hear this joke when I was traveling on business all the time:

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks one language?

An American. :frustrated:

There are two types of countries in the world.  Those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon :ph34r: :P 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

19 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Not really. It's just a matter of what you're use to. Many European countries and Australia/New Zealand use metric dimensions.

Hmm, telling an engineer about what is easier in wood construction :hmmm:

To let you know, the US and Canada are the primary users of timber construction. Our APA code is essentially adopted in European countries partially because they don't have the base to create their own wood code - studs at 16" on center are replicated in metric in the eurocode. Furthermore, in European countries, stud lengths are based on 120 cm so that they're divisible by 3. So you have 120 cm studs, 240 cm studs, 360 cm studs... 

Like I said earlier, you need to divide by 3 far more often than by 5. Go to a metric system in base 12. It would require re-wiring our entire counting system... worth it. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

To let you know, the US and Canada are the primary users of timber construction. Our APA code is essentially adopted in European countries partially because they don't have the base to create their own wood code - studs at 16" on center are replicated in metric in the eurocode. Furthermore, in European countries, stud lengths are based on 120 cm so that they're divisible by 3. So you have 120 cm studs, 240 cm studs, 360 cm studs... 

Like I said earlier, you need to divide by 3 far more often than by 5. Go to a metric system in base 12. It would require re-wiring our entire counting system... worth it. 

I don't know, I help build a cottage in France one summer and the plans and materials were metric. It wasn't a problem. 

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

All educated professions use the metric system.

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

I don't know, I help build a cottage in France one summer and the plans and materials were metric. It wasn't a problem. 

This Mick carpenter I used to work with would do shit in metric sometimes.  I love that guy, but it was irritating.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:36 PM, sactowndog said:

73% of Republicans said no.   Wonder how that aligns with percent that has a college degree?  Pretty sad.  When I was young, the Republicans were the more educated party.    

I don't think most Democrats know either.  A lot of them are just demonstrating their "tolerance" by being for it.

But notice they were against the big bang theory when it was from a priest.  

That was the whole point of the authors thesis.  Somehow you missed that.  

10 hours ago, happycamper said:

I got your back on this Happy.  I'm down with imperial in construction.  I know exactly how much 4 9/16" is, I have no idea what 60 centimeters looks like.

But I think it's just because the US is the biggest stick construction countriy that imperial is used in wood.  The euros do more concrete, I don't know if they do wood or metal for interior walls..  Japan might do stick for houses, I'm not sure.  But they don't do much new construction in single family, so who cares.

4 hours ago, CPslograd said:

This Mick carpenter I used to work with would do shit in metric sometimes.  I love that guy, but it was irritating.

Yeah, it would definitely be a pain in the ass to mix the systems; like trying to speak a foreign language by constantly translating in your head, doesn't work.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, CPslograd said:

Most people dont know 0-9 are arabic numerals.  They just think they are "numbers".

Including Contard...

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

18 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I don't think most Democrats know either.  A lot of them are just demonstrating their "tolerance" by being for it.

But notice they were against the big bang theory when it was from a priest.  

That was the whole point of the authors thesis.  Somehow you missed that.  

Not at all.   I get people are biased and give an opinion when they don’t know.  That being said I would expect far more educated people should know the basis for our numerical system than the originator of the Big Bang theory.   

Whether 73% of Democrats don’t know that fact is unknown.  It’s clear that 73% of Republicans don’t.  For a party that in the 70’s was the party of white collar educated people, that’s pretty sad.