Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

56% of Americans believe we shouldn’t teach Arabic Numerals

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

The survey also asked respondents how they identified politically. As related to whether or not Arabic numerals should be taught in schools, 72% of Republican-leaning respondents said no. Fifty-seven percent of Independent voters said no. Only 34% of Democratic-leaning respondents said no.

Color me shocked that the majority of Y'all Qaeda would be against something with the word "Arab" in it. 

My overall take away is just that people are stupid though, especially when you see this little gem.

In the interest of fairness, Dick shared graphics with the results of another recent survey. The question was whether or not schools should have creation theory of Catholic priest George Lemaitre as part of their science curriculum.

Lemaitre’s creation theory is better known as the Big Bang Theory.

Without that explainer, 53% of the 4,151 respondents said no, 20% said yes and 27% offered no opinion.

Of the no respondents, 73% of them identified as Democrats.

“Sorry to break this to everyone but it appears neither side has a monopoly on blind prejudice. Either that or 73% of Democrats believe schools shouldn’t be teaching students about the Big Bang Theory,” Dick tweeted.

10 hours ago, mugtang said:

Chinese and Japanese that have come here, vote, and I can’t see us teaching their systems. Lots of Russians have come here, and I can’t see us teaching Cyrillic. There’s tons of conservative Jews in the US, and we’re not going to be teaching three different systems of Hebrew, Yiddish and Aramaic. We have tons of Indians from India here, we ain’t going to teach theirs. There are tons American Indians in the US, and we’re not teaching them their tribal languages and counting systems. 

So in the basic curriculum that all students have to learn, there’s just not enough time to teach every culture’s counting systems, language, etc. So, absolutely not. 

Right now Muslims are enjoying the benefits of being the poster child for the PC left, and that’s the only reason why it’s being questioned, and even a thread started about it. You should be able to learn anything legal that you want in this country, and you can. But that doesn’t mean it’s important enough to put it in the basic curriculum. When you start making exceptions for one or two things, then it’s a slippery slope. 

kat.jpg

9 hours ago, mugtang said:

So according to that poll 56% of Americans are ignorant. :rolleyes: I've done a lot of traveling throughout these United States and that seems about right. 

37 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Chinese and Japanese that have come here, vote, and I can’t see us teaching their systems. Lots of Russians have come here, and I can’t see us teaching Cyrillic. There’s tons of conservative Jews in the US, and we’re not going to be teaching three different systems of Hebrew, Yiddish and Aramaic. 

This is sarcasm right? 

39 minutes ago, crixus said:

So according to that poll 56% of Americans are ignorant. :rolleyes: I've done a lot of traveling throughout these United States and that seems about right. 

I just loved reading the brain dead comments below the article. It’s like there’s a disease in the far left that causes them to assume the absolute worst case scenario in every single person that doesn’t do what they want them to do. You could also go to the other extreme and claim that all 56% of the respondents were free of hate and prejudice. But that’s just as dumb as saying that they are all bigots. The truth is there’s plenty of each in that 56%. Of course, how you define “prejudice” or “bigotry” makes all the difference in the world. 

kat.jpg

History trivia gotcha.  There appears to be no control in obtaining opinions for / against teaching other systems.  The article does not state the specific question (s).  Questions can be misleading, they could have been asked in a way that a normal person would assume that it was not already taught and of little benefit to add to cirriculum.

Also left out of discussion:

“Sorry to break this to everyone but it appears neither side has a monopoly on blind prejudice."

Unfortunately, these stunts performed on both sides do little to spark dialogue, address fears and bias.  We are so polarized, we have to defend our side no matter what.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Weren’t we all supposed to be converted to the metric system by now? Seems like thirty or forty years ago that was the goal. It sounds like Americans just don’t know their numbers. 

A good number of us are dumbAF compared to our other post-industrial counterparts.

I used to hear this joke when I was traveling on business all the time:

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks one language?

An American. :frustrated:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

30 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Weren’t we all supposed to be converted to the metric system by now? Seems like thirty or forty years ago that was the goal. It sounds like Americans just don’t know their numbers. 

There was talk of that in our public schools when I was a kid but a lot of parents took offense to it. Many people are afraid of change and the idea was quickly abandoned.