Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

President Trump has indicated that he is considering pardons for several American military members accused or convicted of war crimes, including high-profile cases of murder, attempted murder and desecration of a corpse

President Trump has indicated that he is considering pardons for several American military members accused or convicted of war crimes, including high-profile cases of murder, attempted murder and desecration of a corpse, according to two United States officials.

The officials said that the Trump administration had made expedited requests this week for paperwork needed to pardon the troops on or around Memorial Day.

One request is for Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher of the Navy SEALs, who is scheduled to stand trial in the coming weeks on charges of shooting unarmed civilians and killing an enemy captive with a knife while deployed in Iraq.

The others are believed to include the case of a former Blackwater security contractor recently found guilty in the deadly 2007 shooting of dozens of unarmed Iraqis; the case of Maj. Mathew L. Golsteyn, the Army Green Beret accused of killing an unarmed Afghan in 2010; and the case of a group of Marine Corps snipers charged with urinating on the corpses of dead Taliban fighters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/us/trump-pardons-war-crimes.html

Just wow.

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

War sucks, at least Trump has talked about closing down all those wars you love.

1. Your comment conveniently avoided the actual topic of the thread
  2. I'm a non-interventionist, and have been for longer than I've been a member of this forum

22 hours ago, retrofade said:
  2. I'm a non-interventionist, and have been for longer than I've been a member of this forum

"War sucks?.

How does that avoid the actual topic of the thread?

Those things you listed as crimes were the smallest part of the crimes committed in war.  You have never ever considered the real war crimes this country has committed and the people who committed them.  So sorry if I am not all excited about your one sided bullshit thread and bullshit partisan anger.

I can't get all excited about prosecuting those poor miseraberable souls forced to fight our wars because they get desensitized and lose emotional control.   While those responsible for millions of dead and displaced people are judging.  Just doesn't matter that much to me.   Someone like you that has never seen any violence really has no standing to judge.

19 hours ago, retrofade said:

I started reading everything Blue writes in the voice of Cotton Hill and my OT board experience is much better now.

image.jpeg.875c009177366290b391eac9e002c200.jpeg

On 5/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, bluerules009 said:

War sucks, at least Trump has talked about closing down all those wars you love.

He’s banging the war drums with Iran, and he hasn’t really closed down any ongoing war. 

But that doesn’t have anything to do with the OP. Pardoning war criminals is just another Tuesday for him, he’s made it clear he thinks he’s above the law.

4 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

He’s banging the war drums with Iran, and he hasn’t really closed down any ongoing war. 

But that doesn’t have anything to do with the OP. Pardoning war criminals is just another Tuesday for him, he’s made it clear he thinks he’s above the law.

Pardoning is a specific power of the president.  

Anyone who suggest different is in opposition to the law.

22 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

What ongoing war?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

21 hours ago, pokerider said:

um, so what?

I'm not really a fan of someone convicted for gunning down civilians being up for a pardon. But hey, you do you.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I would have to know more about the cases, but we stress not killing civilians.  If someone knowingly kills one, it's murder.  No pardon.

Pissing on dead combatants?  Not my cup of tea, but I don't care in the end.  

One is somebody linked to Prince and the other is a client of Mukasey’s who's handling Trump's subpoena cases.

I no nothing about the cases. I don't like the connections between the president and these people. It stinks of favoritism.

14 minutes ago, rudolro said:

One is somebody linked to Prince and the other is a client of Mukasey’s who's handling Trump's subpoena cases.

I no nothing about the cases. I don't like the connections between the president and these people. It stinks of favoritism.

These connections have historically always influenced presidential pardons.  They shouldn't be allowed.

51 minutes ago, pokebball said:

These connections have historically always influenced presidential pardons.  They shouldn't be allowed.

I'm ok with using whatever connections you have to help with non violent crimes. 

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I would have to know more about the cases, but we stress not killing civilians.  If someone knowingly kills one, it's murder.  No pardon.

Pissing on dead combatants?  Not my cup of tea, but I don't care in the end.  

I think one of the guys that had been in brutal combat quite a bit had a photo taken of him with an ISIS flag and the dead ISIS POS  that was just trying to kill him. That's not ideal, but these guys are human and we're asking them to be horrific warriors, and it's not easy to turn it on and off like a light switch. Some of these guys are actually going insane. They need treatment, not prison for the rest of their lives. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, rudolro said:

I'm ok with using whatever connections you have to help with non violent crimes. 

I'm not OK, actually.  If the legal system put 'em away, there shouldn't be a veto of that process.  Screw that!

23 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I'm not OK, actually.  If the legal system put 'em away, there shouldn't be a veto of that process.  Screw that!

How about in some of these old drug cases in which the sentencing guidelines have changed dramatically?

I was happy for that one guy that Trump pardoned from a ridiculously long sentence.