Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

How are the Idaho Vandals doing these days?

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is true though.  Boise has far better students comprising their athletics programs than does UI.  Boise is able to be far more selective.  

Your school just bragged about a football team having a 2.6 GPA.  Meanwhile Boise just recruited 9 players with Ivy League offers and recruit 4-6 each year.  The kids we recruit without Ivy offers generally still have offers from other AAU schools. 

Boise football emphasizes the student part of student athlete.  Idaho does not.  That simple.

Well maybe Harsin needs to recruit more athletes and less brains to win some damn Access Bowls.  He didn't even win his bowl game last year either.  #fireharsin

5 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Well maybe Harsin needs to recruit more athletes and less brains to win some damn Access Bowls.  He didn't even win his bowl game last year either.  #fireharsin

Well, to be fair, neither did their bowl opponent.

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is true though.  Boise has far better students comprising their athletics programs than does UI.  Boise is able to be far more selective.  

Your school just bragged about a football team having a 2.6 GPA.  Meanwhile Boise just recruited 9 players with Ivy League offers and recruit 4-6 each year.  The kids we recruit without Ivy offers generally still have offers from other AAU schools. 

Boise football emphasizes the student part of student athlete.  Idaho does not.  That simple.

If that's true, there is a glaring hole in your logic.  Choosing BSU over an Ivy league or even major college is the height of stupidity, which in turn calls your entire premise into question.

2 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

If that's true, there is a glaring hole in your logic.  Choosing BSU over an Ivy league or even major college is the height of stupidity, which in turn calls your entire premise into question.

Wrong.  Much better odds at BSU to make it to the NFL and become a millionaire before the age of 30.  

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Wrong.  Much better odds at BSU to make it to the NFL and become a millionaire before the age of 30.  

Does the Ivy League not produce NFL players? The majority of wealth is accumulated well after 30. I think you pulled this out of your arse. 

10 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Does the Ivy League not produce NFL players? The majority of wealth is accumulated well after 30. I think you pulled this out of your arse. 

I think maybe 1-2 a year get drafted.. I’d think if you ball out with NFL size/speed traits they’d see you. I always wonder why kids don’t go that route more often. I know they offer financial help for athletes but I don’t think it’s free. 

Kids with FBS offers all think they’re NFL bound because they’ve been the best player in their town for years. They all think they’re gonna get drafted. Boise has produced a lot of draft picks, quite a few first rounders with another likely next year,  and are on tv all the time. That’s probably part of their thinking in choosing Boise.

14 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Teenagers aren’t really thinking of life after 30 I don’t think..

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

This is astounding.  You're treating a remote chance at the NFL from a G5 mid-major as equivalent to an Ivy League degree.  That's just plain stupid.

25 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

This is astounding.  You're treating a remote chance at the NFL from a G5 mid-major as equivalent to an Ivy League degree.  That's just plain stupid.

Boise puts 3-5 guys in the NFL almost every year. Out of a 20-25 player recruiting class. 

Thats about 10-25% of dudes that earn scholarships to play at BSU making it to the NFL. Hardly a remote chance.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise puts 3-5 guys in the NFL almost every year. Out of a 20-25 player recruiting class. 

Thats about 10-25% of dudes that earn scholarships to play at BSU making it to the NFL. Hardly a remote chance.

Then many if not most wash out, wind up digging ditches and spend the rest of their lives regretting their decision.  Sounds like a winning strategy.

24 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Then many if not most wash out, wind up digging ditches and spend the rest of their lives regretting their decision.  Sounds like a winning strategy.

Montana Tech grads make more than Ivy League schools...maybe they should go play NAIA?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/09/11/where-to-go-to-college-if-you-want-the-highest-starting-salary/?utm_term=.bd71d7615447

13 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Did someone forget how close Boise and Moscow are to the borders of states that sell marijuana?

UI is about 5 miles from a weed store.  Boise State is about 60.

What difference does that make?

29 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

UI is about 5 miles from a weed store.  Boise State is about 60.

What difference does that make?

I think Jalapeno is trying to sell us some weed.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:58 PM, VandalPride97 said:

Our players have to go to a real class and they're subject to the same grading system as other students, whereas the donks...

boise-state-cummunications-450x292.jpg

Blasphemy, saw first hand two big players get tossed from the program because they thought it was possible to float through a class and get a passing grade.  

The only special privileges athletes get are  university tutors that stay on them 24/7, which might not be the case during summer school.

6 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

I think maybe 1-2 a year get drafted.. I’d think if you ball out with NFL size/speed traits they’d see you. I always wonder why kids don’t go that route more often. I know they offer financial help for athletes but I don’t think it’s free. 

Harvard student athletes get alumnus sponsors to take care of their costs, that’s what I read during the Jeremy Lin era - haven’t dug into how that isn’t a violation. 

Also, the Harvard football program - no matter if they qualify for the playoffs they’re not allowed to compete.  

Which seems ridiculous because Harvard has a great college hockey program and is allowed to move on to the college hockey playoffs.  As well is their basketball program.  

Undergrad programs are close to the same between U of I and Boise State. 

The difference between U of I and Boise State is the advanced degrees - they’re still killing us on that subject. 

That being said, U of I is far behind in advanced degrees to the big schools around the country.  My girlfriend has her MBA in analytics from the University of Chicago which tied with Harvard as the best school in the country.