Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

What MWC City Would You Choose

If You Had To Pick One MWC Road Game  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which city would you choose to spend an entire week if Honolulu, San Diego, and Las Vegas are not one of the choices, and you had to remain within a 25 mile range of the city center?

15 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Memphis is like the Butte, MT of the Southeast. People shit on it, but they don't appreciate its craziness. I don't know that I'd want to raise kids in the inner city there, but I really think living in one of those stately brick palaces near downtown would really be something. It's got character to it. It reminds me of Kansas City crossed with Kigali. I really like the town. And the people are the salt of the earth, honestly. 

it would be pretty cool to live in one of those houses on Millionaires Row in Victorian Village...

16002916_1924684297751865_81132401735358

Lee_House_in_fall_email.jpg

048b8329ad84ce712839ee4e6a903cb2--the-vi

this one was recently up for sale for only 80,001 dollars and it was a unique contract.

they would sell you the home for 1 dollar and you had to 'prove' within 18 months that you spent 80k to totally renovate the home as close to original as possible:

image.jpeg.464392aeb8bdfcde0c054f096df3749e.jpeg

how it looked 'back in the day'

Pillow-McIntyre-03%5B2%5D.jpeg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Memphis is like the Butte, MT of the Southeast. People shit on it, but they don't appreciate its craziness. I don't know that I'd want to raise kids in the inner city there, but I really think living in one of those stately brick palaces near downtown would really be something. It's got character to it. It reminds me of Kansas City crossed with Kigali. I really like the town. And the people are the salt of the earth, honestly. 

The water in Memphis seemed fine.   ;-)

12 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I picked Laramie because it's the only MWC town that I haven't spent at least a weekend in.  In fact, I've never even been there.  So if it is as good as some of you claim then it's worth checking out

Actually I've never been to Logan either, but I've spent several weeks in Ogden (Weber State U) and I'm thinking Logan can't be as good as Ogden (which I like).

Let's put it this way- Logan has a bar. Ogden has bars,

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind spending a week in ABQ just to get high and eat New Mexican food for a week. Lots of Lottaburgers. 

Best city for food in the conference is ABQ.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind spending a week in ABQ just to get high and eat New Mexican food for a week. Lots of Lottaburgers. 

2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Best city for food in the conference is ABQ.

Yeah. I can't believe he mentioned Albuquerque and some burger joint in the same sentence....effing kids:oldman:

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Let's put it this way- Logan has a bar. Ogden has bars,

Took me 2-hrs to find The Bar in Provo...

Finally a cop took me there.  Most of the tennis team was there.  All Israelis. NICE ppl in Provo

16 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Took me 2-hrs to find The Bar in Provo...

Finally a cop took me there.  Most of the tennis team was there.  All Israelis. NICE ppl in Provo

Is “the bar” an Applebee’s? 👍

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

Yeah. I can't believe he mentioned Albuquerque and some burger joint in the same sentence....effing kids:oldman:

You would too if you ever had their green chile burgers. 

19 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The only time of year I have to travel is in the summer, so it would be an easy choice.  I also object to the 25 mile radius qualifier.  If I am going to travel I would want to see everything there is to offer.  Reno has Pyramid lake, which is about the best lake fishing on the planet.  I would rather spend an afternoon at Pyramid over Tahoe any day.

Was not aware of the legendary Pyramid Lake fishing.  I definitely have to see if I can give it a try someday.  I was torn between Laramie and Logan.  Logan is beautiful and the Logan River has amazing fishing.  However, there's no lack of great fishing within 25 miles of Laramie, and the "quality of life" suits me a little better. 

8 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

yes, I was aware who the insult was targeting...we already have 3 of Tennessee's biggest tourist attraction in Beale St, Graceland, and the National Civil Rights Museum. Throw in the Grizz, the Panda's at the Zoo, Sun Studios, plus Stax Records and you have a booming tourist industry coupled with 4 fortune 500 companies with HQs here. Thanks for your concern though.

A few years back I went to a UW game vs Ole Miss. We stayed in Memphis. I had a lot of fun on Beale Street both Friday and Saturday nights.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Just now, pokebball said:

A few years back I went to a UW game vs Ole Miss. We stayed in Memphis. I had a lot of fun on Beale Street both Friday and Saturday nights.

Oxford is cool pretty much anytime but game days lol...then the drunk idiots come out and 60,000 people cram into a city designed for 10-12k

Memphis is cool in that you can visit twice and not run out of things to do.

see Beale St, Graceland, Sun Studios, Bass Pro Pyramid, and eat at the Rendezvous...but you haven't 'done Memphis' yet. You just hit the tourist traps.

when you come back visit the National Civil Rights Museum, go see the Panda's at the Zoo, walk around Overton Square or Cooper-Young and listen to some real Memphis music, go eat Elvis favorite BBQ...the BBQ pizza at Coletta's off Parkway (yep, it's in the ghetto but SO worth it!)

glad you had fun!

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Reno or San Jose. Reno because there's actually a lot to do in the downtown area...not to mention the Mustang Ranch only about 20 minutes out....and San Jose cause it's only about an hour south of San Francisco and an hour north of Santa Cruz...I can spend 3-4 days in those cities alone....

1MXnKMV.jpg

22 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is the best lake fishing I have ever experienced, bar none and hands down.  I have days out there where 4-5 25+ inch trout is a thing.  And IMHO the isolated high desert feel is majestic.  Reno is tits.

Then you haven’t been to Henry’s Lake located in Eastern Idaho, about 15 miles or so from West Yellowstone, Montana.  There are special limits there.  Catch and release anything under 21 inches or so.  Awesome place, great scenery.

7 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

Then you haven’t been to Henry’s Lake located in Eastern Idaho, about 15 miles or so from West Yellowstone, Montana.  There are special limits there.  Catch and release anything under 21 inches or so.  Awesome place, great scenery.

Actually, I have.  There are dozens of fisheries in Idaho of similar caliber.  The Lahantan in Pyramid are in a different class.  They are the largest cutthroat trout in the world, officially recognized as such.  Decades ago 40 pound + trout were regularly reported, they are starting to get up in that range again.

I live in Boise and voted for Albuquerque.  Good food and interesting sites. I almost voted for San Jose but that would remind me of my initial visit there when I repossessed my first car, truck actually.  I thought of Reno but I would lose waaayyy too much money in a week’s time.  Fort Collins... no.  Laramie, not in the winter.  Never been to Colorado Springs or Fresno.  I have no use for Logan.  Too many relatives that I don’t know that will try to convert me.