Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UofMTigers

OT: Memphis signs #1 class in college basketball

2 minutes ago, RSF said:

So its just more whistling thru the graveyard for the visitors from the AAC.

The AAC is doing a great job of separating itself from the teams in the MWC, CUSA, MAC, A10...that was the goal and we now find ourselves making more than 3x than what we were...there's no way you can convince me it's a bad thing.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Here's the thing...even if Aresco's most optimistic numbers are true, it doesnt matter.  The gap between the haves and the havenots (of which the AAC is a leading member) is growing, not shrinking.  And 3 of the 5 P5 conferences will have their own new TV deals, which grow more than the nickels ESPN threw at Aresco, long before the AAC comes back around.  In 5 years Northwestern may be getting more money (or close to it) than the whole bloody AAC.  So its just more whistling thru the graveyard for the visitors from the AAC.

For sure.. I’ve long given up thinking we have a chance at being remotely equal. The last round of changes killed the G5.

13 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

lol

do MWC teams make 7 million a year? does any MWC team have the #1 rated class in football or basketball? did a MWC team play in the Access Bowl last season?

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 5/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, #1Stunner said:

Yes... You AAC fans are all trying to delude yourselves into thinking you are above the MWC.

But you all have small fanbases.  The AAC schools' average attendance is slightly smaller than the MWC.

I mean, congratulations on getting a new 12 year NET $5M TV deal (BYU got a $5M "football only" deal 9 years ago).... but it doesn't change the fact.   The AAC = MWC.

The AAC is a far superior conference to the MWC.  That's a fact by any measurement and it's not close.  In basketball alone, the MWC is much closer to the WAC than the AAC and the AAC is much closer to the P5's than to the MWC.  I don't consider the AAC to be a P5 (or part of a P7), but they are nipping at their heels.

Many on this board speak of the "flagship" MWC teams in basketball being SDSU, UNLV and NuM.  Let's say NuM is the third "flagship".  Compare that to Cincy as the third flagship of the AAC (2 titles, 6 final fours, 8 elite eights)...ummmm, um...doesn't really add up, does it?

I like how NuM fans refer to fanbases and attendance as a measurement of success and tradition.  The only tradition NuM has is Pit attendance, so that's what you grasp on to.  You have no real on court success to speak of so you latch on to meaningless metrics.

18 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

The AAC is a far superior conference to the MWC.  That's a fact by any measurement and it's not close.  I

www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

And because this is about basketball, and such things tend to change from year-to-year....

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/arch/compare2018-19.htm

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

do MWC teams make 7 million a year? does any MWC team have the #1 rated class in football or basketball? did a MWC team play in the Access Bowl last season?

#1 class is fun and all but it’s for entertainment purposes only. In real life they mean jack shit. Wins are king.

12 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

#1 class is fun and all but it’s for entertainment purposes only. In real life they mean jack shit. Wins are king.

And now Memphis fan will take a break from shitting on UConn to bring up their national championship as a member of the AAC. But don’t worry, if anybody brings up UConn potentially being interested in the BE he will go right back to shitting on them.

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

And now Memphis fan will take a break from shitting on UConn to bring up their national championship as a member of the AAC. But don’t worry, if anybody brings up UConn potentially being interested in the BE he will go right back to shitting on them.

I like sharing a conference with UConn...their fans? not so much.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

5 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

tell me more about your great bowl and tourney record. Better be able to beat the Sun Belt before you come on here thumping your chest. 

On 5/18/2019 at 6:52 PM, UofMTigers said:

applying football terms to basketball is silly...

the Big East, AAC, and A-10 are big time hoops conferences IMHO.

Mid major and high major ARE basketball terms that were erroneously applied to football in the BCS erra. 

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

tell me more about your great bowl and tourney record. Better be able to beat the Sun Belt before you come on here thumping your chest. 

I care about the 4.5 million the conference gets for making an Access Bowl along with NCAA credits

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I care about the 4.5 million the conference gets for making an Access Bowl along with NCAA credits

You didn't answer my question. Typical. 

7 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

So tell me again how that compares to the power conferences. 

And also, how has the AAC/Pee6 Bowl record been lately? 

Accotding to Sports Reference, Memphis's bowl record is 4-7.  They've been a bowl game five consecutive years and have lost four straight.  Their last win was in 2014 over BYU and we all know what happened after the game ended.

As far as Tourney record, Memphis is 34-26 with three Final Four's.  Of course that includes anything vacated.

5 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Accotding to Sports Reference, Memphis's bowl record is 4-7.  They've been a bowl game five consecutive years and have lost four straight.  Their last win was in 2014 over BYU and we all know what happened after the game ended.

As far as Tourney record, Memphis is 34-26 with three Final Four's.  Of course that includes anything vacated.

I'm sure Memphis Guy appreciates your attempt at white knighting for him here, but the fact remains:

The new AAC deal is shit in value compared to what real power conferences get. 

And the AAC has a putrid bowl record. 14-25 all time. Including 2-5 last year. Against the MW in bowls, the conference is 0-3. 

23 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

As opposed to the 40 million each of the Power 5 conferences get.  And more credits each year.

Gap.      Getting.            Wider.....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

25 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

So tell me again how that compares to the power conferences. 

And also, how has the AAC/Pee6 Bowl record been lately? 

I believe we're 3-1 in NY6 bowl games and earned 8 NCAA credits last season...moreover, I've stated over and over the conferences the AAC is trying to separate itself from are the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and A10

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, UofMTigers said:

I believe we're 3-1 in NY6 bowl games and earned 8 NCAA credits last season...moreover, I've stated over and over the conferences the AAC is trying to separate itself from are the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and A10

Yea and the point most people have stated over and over is that regardless of wether or not the AAC “separates from the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and A10” it will never be a power conference. 

21 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

before 2003 Memphis football was a joke...I loved my Tigers but the occasional upset was the best we could hope for.

Tommy West showed up, recruited DeAngelo Williams and Stephen Gostowski, and suddenly Memphis football went to 5 bowls in 6 years...Fuente/Norvell have now taken Memphis to 5 straight bowl and counting.

mem skyline sig.jpeg