Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UofMTigers

OT: Memphis signs #1 class in college basketball

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Are posting from a hotspot in the middle of the desert?

Because damn you act thirsty (and your posts are making increasingly little sense).

I can see why your salty because your administration gambled and lost!

like TCU you should ALWAYS climb up the ladder of conference affiliation when there’s a branch.

When you don’t you get leapfrogged by Tulsa.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Balzac said:

I can see why your salty because your administration gambled and lost!

like TCU you should ALWAYS climb up the ladder of conference affiliation when there’s a branch.

When you don’t you get leapfrogged by Tulsa.

giphy.gif

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 5/17/2019 at 8:33 PM, 1066 said:

For many years basketball was the main sport at Memphis. In the past few years it has been football. I have a strong feeling you are returning to your previous form and BB will once again be king with football a lesser sport. At least lesser in the eyes of Memphis fans. I expect your conference will prefer a strong football presence but that may be less likely.

In any case good luck to your BB team next season.

It's odd that high mid majors can seldom run excellent FB and BB programs at the same time. SDSU almost did it for several years, Boise has never come close and that is true for most of our MWC teams as well as your AAC teams.

Boise won the conference in both basketball and football with both teams finishing in the top-25 in 2014-15. You could argue the "run" part, but "... has never come close" is not accurate. 

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

the "new" CUSA is like Sun Belt 2.0 just like AAC is CUSA 2.0 just like MWC has become WAC 2.0

CUSA 2.0 lacked UConn, Temple, WSU, Cincy, and USF and you could tell. There is also a reason UCF, Houston, and Memphis took off in the AAC...it's because of more money, more exposure, and better leadership. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

So....you're saying Memphis is the "UNLV" on the AAC?

Congrats!!

UNLV circa 1988...the next 3 years should be fun.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

The new AAC deal is NET $5M per year....

The AAC Commissioner claims he can get it back up to $7M by having volunteers, students and interns run the TV production.  Said he's going to have schools do the next 12 years as low budget as possible.   You seem to be a true believer. 

I guess we'll see if he can deliver.   Maybe they can film on a cell phone?   Some new phones have nice cameras.

try 10

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-mike-aresco-aac-commissioner-espn-tv-20190506-5dep7moehrdkhkdjoj22yvsnqm-story.html

Each AAC school will receive about $7 million under the terms of the conference's new TV agreement, and Aresco said annual per-school payouts will surpass $10 million...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

How is Penny as a game day coach?  Can he coach egos?

he was smart to hire 2007 NBA Coach of the Year Sam Mitchell as his Assoc HC. He knows how to coach high level Xs and Os along with managing a team full of superstar egos.

Penny is a good coach but he isn't afraid to defer to Sam Mitchell when it comes to Xs and Os along with Mike Miller when it comes to recruiting.

https://gotigersgo.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1604&path=mbball

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

That's the GROSS payout.   What about the NET?

Sure....Aresco has promised that it will be all volunteers , students and interns that run the AAC TV production.  Said he's going to have schools do the next 12 years as low budget as possible.   

But you can understand why people have their doubts.

And if the next MWC deal is a NET payout of $5M per year, it will essentially be the same as the AAC.   Especially since the cost of living is cheaper out west.

Guest #1Stunner

Memphis has recruited amazing talent.... 

But how is their basketball budget? 

I know that most of the AAC have relatively tiny basketball budgets....but if Memphis can get boosters on board, they could get it up to the Big East level.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Aresco already called BS on production talk stuff...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-aac-aresco-0502-story.html

As for the logistics, the conference will hire a company to produce the football games and Olympic sports championships featured on ESPN+. Men’s and women’s basketball games, as well as regular-season Olympic sporting events, will be left up to the individual schools to produce at their cost.

“The cost is nowhere near what’s being reported,” Aresco said of claims that annual revenue payouts will be less to each school to cover the production costs. “That’s ridiculous. It’s a fraction of that.”

so yes, there are production costs...but it's not going to be 2 million dollars per team and it's not going to lower our NET payout to 5 million dollars.

I'll even be nice and split the difference and say production costs run around 950k...that means the deal would pay NET ~6 million. The AAC was getting ~1.9 so that represents a more than 3x bigger pay out per team NET....that's a hefty raise, esp for teams like Memphis, Houston, UCF, ECU, etc that came from little ole CUSA where we made like 975k per team/per year. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Memphis has recruited amazing talent.... 

But how is their basketball budget? 

I know that most of the AAC have relatively tiny basketball budgets....but if Memphis can get boosters on board, they could get it up to the Big East level.

Memphis spends 12 million per year on it's basketball program and 17 million per year on it's football program. I don't have the link handy but those were the numbers.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

We now know who'll be the next school to be investigated for player payments in a few years. 

the thing is...Penny, Sam Mitchell, and Mike Miller are worth something like 100 million dollars combined. They didn't HAVE to do all this but they know these kids from the AAU circuit...they really believe they can make a deep NCAA run (or two) and get their kids into the NBA.

I honestly don't think we're paying them...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

50 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Sure....Aresco has promised that it will be all volunteers , students and interns that run the AAC TV production.  Said he's going to have schools do the next 12 years as low budget as possible.   

But you can understand why people have their doubts.

And if the next MWC deal is a NET payout of $5M per year, it will essentially be the same as the AAC.   Especially since the cost of living is cheaper out west.

I’ll believe the numbers from Arresco when I see it.. AAC has a history of ridiculous numbers that never materialize, Boise knows about that. 

I think the AAC will get a few peanuts more than the MWC because they’re east coast based. 

Guest #1Stunner
48 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Memphis spends 12 million per year on it's basketball program and 17 million per year on it's football program. I don't have the link handy but those were the numbers.

This says that Memphis State's athletics budget is $42M.

You are correct.   Memphis spends a lot on basketball.   Do you all rent your arena?

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

41 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

This says that Memphis State's athletics budget is $42M.

You are correct.   Memphis spends a lot on basketball.   Do you all rent your arena?

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

Memphis rents FedExForum and it comes out to ~800,000 dollars. Memphis has a deal with the Grizzlies where if we average between 6k-10k turnstile (not ticket sold) attendance for the season we will get a payout of 400,000-800,000 on a sliding scale.

so if Memphis averages 10k fans we play at FedExForum for free.

FedExForum-Baseline-View-from-Upper-Leve

The University also pays a $10,000 per game license fee to Hoops L.D -- the owner of the Memphis Grizzlies NBA franchise.

In addition, Hoops L.D. retains all concessions revenue and various perecentages of parking and merchandise revenue to all Tigers home games...

According to the FedExForum use agreement, Hoops agrees to make an $800,000 annual payment to The U of M, which Johnson believes offsets the limited number of income sources and any additional fees.

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/archives/tigers-ship-out-to-the-fedexforum/article_cd88e9c6-6dbd-5e3d-b3a2-a6e5f5a83018.html

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

I’ll believe the numbers from Arresco when I see it.. AAC has a history of ridiculous numbers that never materialize, Boise knows about that. 

I think the AAC will get a few peanuts more than the MWC because they’re east coast based. 

Here's the thing...even if Aresco's most optimistic numbers are true, it doesnt matter.  The gap between the haves and the havenots (of which the AAC is a leading member) is growing, not shrinking.  And 3 of the 5 P5 conferences will have their own new TV deals, which grow more than the nickels ESPN threw at Aresco, long before the AAC comes back around.  In 5 years Northwestern may be getting more money (or close to it) than the whole bloody AAC.  So its just more whistling thru the graveyard for the visitors from the AAC.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.