Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UofMTigers

OT: Memphis signs #1 class in college basketball

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

You sound like the Nevada fans last year and we all know how that turned out. 

Ha! That’s coming from a Boise fan?

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

They obviously aren't as high on Memphis as ESPN is, where at least there you guys squeezed into the T25 at #24, behind the other four mid-majors on the list: Gonzaga, Utah St., Houston, and St. Mary's.

that article was from 4/9...Memphis has signed a five-star and two four-star kids since then.

they need to update their rankings.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

UCONN was in the Big East when they hung their banners. The Big East has produced multiple national champions. By contrast, the AAC has produced none.

That's like saying the MWC has produced a national champion because of UNLV's membership. 

UConn won the 2014 NCAA tourney out of the AAC...:coffeecomputer:

mem skyline sig.jpeg

7 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

UConn won the 2014 NCAA tourney out of the AAC...

I stand corrected. Well, not literally... it's late and I'm tired, so I'm sitting. But I was definitely mistaken. Thank you for setting me straight.

And it does give me hope that a mid-major won a NC so recently.

I mean, UCONN was one of the Big East imports - unlike the CUSA members that make up the bulk of the AAC - so it's not quite like seeing South Florida (or you guys) win it. But it does give me hope. Maybe Gonzaga can win it all this year?

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Just now, TheSanDiegan said:

I stand corrected. Well, not literally... it's late and I'm tired, so I'm sitting. But I was definitely in the wrong. Thank you for setting me straight.

I mean, UCONN was one of the Big East imports - unlike the CUSA members that make up the bulk of the AAC - so it's not quite like seeing South Florida (or you guys) win it. But it does give me hope. Maybe Gonzaga can win it all this year?

a Memphis vs Utah State/Houston vs Gonzaga Final Four would please me...a Memphis vs Gonzaga Final would be great...and Memphis winning the title would be a dream come true.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

52 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I stand corrected. Well, not literally... it's late and I'm tired, so I'm sitting. But I was definitely mistaken. Thank you for setting me straight.

LOL South Florida was in the Big East since 2005. They'd probably win the MWC next year if they were to get demoted for some reason.

UConn has won 4 Nattys in the last 20 years. If that gives you hope that you can win one too, I certainly wont begrudge you your blissful ignorance.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

a Memphis vs Utah State/Houston vs Gonzaga Final Four would please me...a Memphis vs Gonzaga Final would be great...and Memphis winning the title would be a dream come true.

If Utah State, with their #60 ranked recruiting class - which is #1 in the MWC -  makes the Final Four, that will make history.

As I said... #Levels.

2B9A5135-066C-4ED0-AC3C-88B5AA56E4F8.png

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You are beyond retarded if you think UCONN is a mid major.

8 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

UCONN was in the Big East when they hung their banners. The Big East has produced multiple national champions. By contrast, the AAC has produced none.

That's like saying the MWC has produced a national champion because of UNLV's membership. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Tulsa is trying to get its house in order regarding its basketball and football coaches.  This is the last year of the current football coach's contract.  If he doesn't produce, he is out and many Tusa fans are very much in favor of hiring former Tulsa football coach Todd Graham.

On the basketball front, Frank Haith, the current coach, has caught a tremendous amount of flak from dissatisfied Tulsa fans.  Haith had one more year left on his contract and it was feared by Tulsa administration that this would put Tulsa basketball recruiting at a severe disadvantage.  Who wants to commit to a school where the sports boards are full of posts to fire the coach?  So Tulsa extended Haith's contract for two years (at a reduced salary) and replaced two assistants with former Tulsa players known for their recruiting abilities.  Tulsa now has 3 former players as assistants.

These two moves have paid off on the basketball recruiting front.  Tulsa has put together a strong recruiting class, based primarily on transfers and includes three 4-Star players.  But the best recruit is probably 3-Star Emmanuel Ugboh, Center/PF, 6-11, 250, Iowa Western JUCO.  Ugboh's offers included UCONN, Miami (FL), Pitt, Washington State, Arizona, Kansas State, LSU, Nebraska, Ole MIss, Rutgers, and others. 

This Tulsa class will not be highly rated because it includes 3 transfers and one JUCO.  Two of the transfers were formerly recruited by Tulsa.  Three recruits resulted because of coaching changes at other schools.  This Tulsa class could be the 4th best class in AAC behind Memphis, UCONN, and WIchita State.  But let's see if Haith can coach these players to success???

The depth of AAC basketball with several strong teams plus the TV exposure provided by AAC's new TV contract probably helped Tulsa with recruiting.  Every recruit's parents and family will be able to watch their son play via ESPN and ESPN+.  Other P5 conferences cannot use lack of TV exposure to recruit against AAC any more.

TULSA BASKETBALL FINALIZES BEST SIGNING CLASS IN RECENT HISTORY, Tulsa World, May 7, 2019, by Kelly HInes

"In the past 50 days, Haith and Shea Seals, the lone remaining assistant on the staff, hit the recruiting trail hard.  The result was one of the best signing classes in recent history, including a trio of 4-Star prospects."

"Five players were added by the Hurricane during the spring signing period:  Arkansas transfer guard Embery-Simpson, Georgia Tech transfer guard Curtis Haywood II, former LSU guard Brandon Rachal, junior college center Emmanuel Ugboh and Kansas high school forward Josh Earley."

"They join November signee Isaiah Hill, a point guard from California."

8 hours ago, Balzac said:

LOL South Florida was in the Big East since 2005. They'd probably win the MWC next year if they were to get demoted for some reason.

UConn has won 4 Nattys in the last 20 years. If that gives you hope that you can win one too, I certainly wont begrudge you your blissful ignorance.

Without doubt the best thing to happen to the formation of the AAC was the assimilation of unwanted/castoff Big East schools.

However, I guess I can see why some were off-loaded to a mid-major... you can take the USF out of CUSA, but you can never take the CUSA out of USF. 

8 hours ago, Balzac said:

??? 😂 😂 😂 

(boom)

B80C5C7B-DB61-4EA0-8244-91968719A707.png

I remember not too long ago when the MWC was the 3rd-ranked basketball conference. If you guys keep trying, you might get there.  :thumbsup:

A1LX27mLtuL.jpg

Even if you don't, you've made all the other mid-majors proud. I might even print out your screenshot and put it up on our refrigerator.