Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Flynn told Mueller people tied to Trump and Congress tried to obstruct probe

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn told investigators that people linked to the Trump administration and Congress reached out to him in an effort to interfere in the Russia probe, according to newly-unredacted court papers filed Thursday.

The communications could have "affected both his willingness to cooperate and the completeness of that cooperation," special counsel Robert Mueller wrote in the court filings.

Flynn even provided a voicemail recording of one such communication, the court papers say. "In some instances, the SCO was unaware of the outreach until being alerted to it by the defendant," Mueller wrote.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/flynn-told-mueller-people-tied-trump-congress-tried-obstruct-probe-n1006666

Here's part of that voicemail...

"t wouldn't surprise me if you've gone on to make a deal with ... the government," the attorney said in the voicemail message, according to Mueller.

f... there's information that implicates the President, then we've got a national security issue, . . . so, you know, . . . we need some kind of heads up. Um, just for the sake of protecting all our interests if we can .... [R]emember what we've always said about the President and his feelings toward Flynn and, that still remains."

Oh, and the judge in his case --- y'know, the guy who at one point was baffled that Flynn wasn't being charged for treason --- has ordered that the DoJ file transcripts of that voicemail as well as transcripts of any other recordings of Flynn. 

I think the Russia probe has pretty much been completely discredited.  From all appearances, this appears to have been a Trump campaign probe and not a Russian probe.

Whether or not there was interference is another matter.  And your OP says obstruct when the article says interfere.  I'm not sure how much that matters, but there might be a difference.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I think the Russia probe has pretty much been completely discredited.  From all appearances, this appears to have been a Trump campaign probe and not a Russian probe.

Whether or not there was interference is another matter.  And your OP says obstruct when the article says interfere.  I'm not sure how much that matters, but there might be a difference.

When I post articles, I generally just go with the headline in the article.

3CEU2b3.png

5 minutes ago, toonkee said:

"...and Congress" 

yeah, I wondered what the hell that meant.  Shine a light on all of it.  This entire investigation appears to have had political influences throughout.  That shyt has to stop.

To be clear, the thing that we didn't know already was that people connected to Congress attempted this. There's a section in the Mueller report that deals with the voicemail from Trump's attorney.

gyImN46.png

OEwb10J.png

The weird part is that the judge seemingly just randomly decided to have these documents unsealed. :shrug:

Judges gonna do judge things I guess. 

Woah.

aLgpvfi.png

So I guess we're getting a new version of the Mueller report. lol

I did go through the Mueller report, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of redacted stuff as it pertains to Flynn.

36 minutes ago, retrofade said:

To be clear, the thing that we didn't know already was that people connected to Congress attempted this. There's a section in the Mueller report that deals with the voicemail from Trump's attorney.

gyImN46.png

OEwb10J.png

The weird part is that the judge seemingly just randomly decided to have these documents unsealed. :shrug:

Judges gonna do judge things I guess. 

It is a lawyer's job to obstruct an investigation into his client and protect his client.

You do realize this.   The white house lawyer saying they can no longer deal with Flynn if he has made a deal is what anyone's lawyer would say.  That isn't obstruction, that is  common sense, that Trump's lawyer isn't going to give Flynn's lawyer confidential information so he can run back to an investigator with it.

There is a famous example of why you don't make comments to law enforcement.   A man is arrested and questioned, he claims he was at a specific location during the crime at a specific time.   Law enforcement then arrests him and convicts him of the crime because they found two eye witnesses that testified he was not at that place at that time.    If the man had called a lawyer stayed quiet, he would not have been discredited in court by 2 eyewitnesses who were mistaken it eventually turned out.

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

It is a lawyer's job to obstruct an investigation into his client and protect his client.

You do realize this.   The white house lawyer saying they can no longer deal with Flynn if he has made a deal is what anyone's lawyer would say.  That isn't obstruction, that is  common sense, that Trump's lawyer isn't going to give Flynn's lawyer confidential information so he can run back to an investigator with it.

There is a famous example of why you don't make comments to law enforcement.   A man is arrested and questioned, he claims he was at a specific location during the crime at a specific time.   Law enforcement then arrests him and convicts him of the crime because they found two eye witnesses that testified he was not at that place at that time.    If the man had called a lawyer stayed quiet, he would not have been discredited in court by 2 eyewitnesses who were mistaken it eventually turned out.

That has exactly zero to do with the fact that people connected to Congress reportedly made attempts to obstruct the investigation. 

We should also note that it was Flynn's attorney that told Trump's personal attorney that they could no longer share any information because he had withdrawn from the joint defense agreement. It was at that point that Trump's personal attorney left the voicemail, and then later made statements that Flynn's attorney took as trying to get Flynn to change his mind. 

I'm more just wondering about who in Congress apparently made similar attempts to get Flynn to not cooperate. 

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

That has exactly zero to do with the fact that people connected to Congress reportedly made attempts to obstruct the investigation. 

We should also note that it was Flynn's attorney that told Trump's personal attorney that they could no longer share any information because he had withdrawn from the joint defense agreement. It was at that point that Trump's personal attorney left the voicemail, and then later made statements that Flynn's attorney took as trying to get Flynn to change his mind. 

I'm more just wondering about who in Congress apparently made similar attempts to get Flynn to not cooperate. 

OH.... Surprise!,, Surprise,, a political investigation met political opposition from the opposing political group.

Call me shocked and surprised.

It probably did bother Comey and Mueller when Nunes was threatening to out their illegal activities, lying to judges and spying.

@retrofade you need to let it go man. We all get to decide in a few more months if we want to renew Trump’s contract. In the meanwhile I would suggest you take up a hobby like fishing, maybe arts & crafts. Do something to end this obsession of yours! It’s unhealthy, and you must be miserable! Get up and out of the basement, and move on for a while man! 

29 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

@retrofade you need to let it go man. We all get to decide in a few more months if we want to renew Trump’s contract. In the meanwhile I would suggest you take up a hobby like fishing, maybe arts & crafts. Do something to end this obsession of yours! It’s unhealthy, and you must be miserable! Get up and out of the basement, and move on for a while man! 

This is your third post in this thread telling retro to get over it.  Maybe you should take your own advice? 

Burying Trump in investigations is the Dems strategy vs. filing impeachment charges.

Quasi impeachment will be seen in the same vein as impeachment.  The middle independent voter is too smart to see through this.

Nadler has become a  damn strong Trump campaign member :) 

12 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

It probably did bother Comey and Mueller when Nunes was threatening to out their illegal activities, lying to judges and spying.

Yeah, about as much as a fly on its back bothers an elephant.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Burying Trump in investigations is the Dems strategy vs. filing impeachment charges.

Quasi impeachment will be seen in the same vein as impeachment.  The middle independent voter is too smart to see through this.

Nadler has become a  damn strong Trump campaign member :) 

To repeat myself as you have, possible impact on the 2020 election is not a reason to discontinue the investigation and assuming McGahn testifies before Congress as he did before Mueller's folks - and wouldn't he face possible disbarment for lying under oath if he didn't? - Trump is absolutely going to get impeached. And further assuming as you did that impeachment occurs before the election, if your "middle independent voter" marks his ballot for Trump even though the guy directed his AG to fire Mueller, that voter would not be someone who I would character as "smart." Far from it.

Boom goes the dynamite.